AI'd heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

critterair2

Reaction score
Some of you may or may not remember the heifers I posted six monthes ago or so. We AI'd them, preg tested last week, 3 out of 5 are bred, I was hoping, been happy with, 4 out of 5 but we'll take it. Think we're going to wait until Jan for the other two. Thats a little early for our breeding season, but its early enough if they don't take that we can hit em again. That one would be perfect timing. Any thoughts? They were breed to Danny. http://selectsires.com/beef/directory/pdf files/7AN272 Danny.pdf

60% is what I had heard is the average, the bull we have, BW is way to high to use on heifers, least for me it is.

cidrs were used, tech. did the first one and let me do the rest. Quite easy I found. This was our first time AI'ing anything. Better not tell my wife how easy it was, she'll have no use for me. lol.........We did give a shot of something but I can't remember what it was...If I recall, one shot the first day and then again seven days later.

If I had to use a synch program and only got 60% first service conceptions I would use a bull instead. I know that's the claim for the various synch programs, but it seems like a waste of time and money to me.

dun":27dw9m82 said:
If I had to use a synch program and only got 60% first service conceptions I would use a bull instead. I know that's the claim for the various synch programs, but it seems like a waste of time and money to me.

Depends what you're doing. 60% is what I get, but I need the genetic diversity for bull sales. People want a bull one year that's not related to what they got 2 years ago. You can manage that to some extent with a herd bull, but it's actually easier to get 60% AI bred 50% of which will be bulls for sale, and the heifers will provide more genetic diversity for future breedings.

You could just wait for standing heat which would be cheaper but then you got the time factor.

angus9259":3no8c4rd said:
You could just wait for standing heat which would be cheaper but then you got the time factor.

And a much higher conception rate.

TNMasterBeefProducer":2lknahyc said:
dun":2lknahyc said:

Exactly, that is what they claim. That is about the success rate that both a vet and an AI technician that I had do it had. Out of three we aid one wound up bred. Then we aid the other two again and none wound up bred. I bought another bull to turn those two in with and they got bred and had a calf just fine. Go figure.
We are in the 85- 90% rate here. But I also check for heat 6-8 times during the day and night. (don't sleep much anyways). The second breeding usually catches the ones that didn't take and it is on there next heat anyways so no extra sync costs. If more than twice and no pregnancy they grow wheels. It has greatly improved our AI program. They generally take the first time.
Double R

Did any of them show standing heat or were all just time (blind) bred. That seems very low for heifers, I thought the 60% is for all ai'ing including older cows. We have had over 60% with just using estrumate and no cidr's on heifers ,some showed standing heat and some not ,12 out of 15 conceived from first service.

The other thing is to make sure that all the girls were cycling before you sync'd them.

novatech":tim8rayz said:
That percentage will also depend a lot on the experiance of the AI tech.

Also depends on if the tech is in a hurry or not. Same with vets who preg check and hurry threw it and miss some or misjudge the timeframe.
I take my time and keep the cattle calm and as relaxed as possible. Take my time placing the curvix over the gun instead of ramming away. I have had several people bring cattle to me who said that they watched another tech or vet ai ther cattle and saw an extremely quick breeding and a bit of blood on the straw when it was pulled out. That screams to much of a hurry and not caring if it gets bred or not. I never do a ton of cows at one time. Then you feel the pressure of hurrying threw. Makes for crappy rates and also damage internally.
Double R

Preg checked em at about 60 days, whats the chances the vet missed them. Would it be rather easy to tell at 60 days, or a little difficult?

critterair2":1z5jwar1 said:
Preg checked em at about 60 days, whats the chances the vet missed them. Would it be rather easy to tell at 60 days, or a little difficult?

Easy. But, even the best preg checker may be wrong once in a while.

Latest posts