AI Timing Question

Help Support CattleToday:

jgibson

Reaction score
I painted tail heads on April 2nd to help detect natural standing heat. No paint was gone on Wednesday. I had to leave before sun up and came home after sunset yesterday. Therefore, I do not know if paint was there yesterday. There was no action this morning, but did not get close enough to see if any paint was there. This afternoon my husband informs me two cows paint is gone. Do you just catch them next time around?

Watch them this evening, if they are out of standing heat breed them tonight otherwise breed them in the morning.

If you know they were in heat this morning breed this afternoon if its just a guess it would depend on the price of the semen if its resonable id do it if it aint there its for sure there not getting bred

I can't see how you're going to be very successful with AI if you can't check your cattle closely at least twice a day. You really have no idea of the timing, so it's going to be very hit and miss - probably mostly miss, unless you're very lucky. I do AI most years, check the cows three-hourly during the day, 6am - 11pm. But I also expect 80% conception and work to get it. You may be expecting too much of your current scheduling abilities!

Yes, if you miss them, at least you have a good idea when they'll be needing closer observation next time - even if you have to get someone else to do that for you. Would that be an option?

I agree, if you are not sure when the chalk was rubbed, I'd wait and watch the next time around. AI takes time, and you must check at least two times a day. Most days I am out there by 7:30am, then noon, then back out at 6pm. But we rely solely on AI.
See if you can get someone to check the tails when you can not. That might help a bunch.

Ask the person doing the inseminating (if not yourself) to give you opinion of continued activity of the animals in the lineup for breeding. Possibly palpation of the rectum/inserting a breeding gun (with sheath, no semen) may produce a mucus discharge. Depending on semen availability/cost you may wish to breed the animal if she shows activity and a mucus discharge. If time allows you may wish to mark your calendar to closely watch on the next cycle.

Jgibson, if you want to come over to Cullman I will help you with some patches to put on them so you can see them clearly. You can look at them with binoculars and tell if needed. If you want to call I will try to help you. My website is www.chrlimousin.com. Contact me from there.

Circle H Ranch

Latest posts