AI/Preg Check Classes at Bovine Elite School in TX

Help Support CattleToday:

rangergirl56m

Reaction score
I was looking at the program they had on their website and was just wondering if anyone else had attended any of their classes and what they thought. Thanks

I have not been to their school. But have friends that have. Very good from what I hear. Another friend went to College with the owner and says he knows his stuff very well.

It has been a few years but I would recommend it to anyone. They cover a lot more than AI and you spend a lot of time in the back end of cattle.

TNMasterBeefProducer":3hdpl72q said:
Im sure it will be very informative no matter who you take it through so long as they are a big name.

I would really be interested to know why a "big name" teacher of AI would be better.

Some of the better AI'ers I know never attended a class at all. They picked it up from someone who showed them the ropes at home. There really is nothing to the the procedure, any idiot (even me) can do it. It just takes a lot of practice to get the feel for it.

The majority of people who go through an AI course are never able to do it because they never get the feel for it. It can't be learned in a day or two......or three.

Carl is a good guy and I'm sure he puts on a good class though.

MikeC":1w055kx3 said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":1w055kx3 said:
Im sure it will be very informative no matter who you take it through so long as they are a big name.

I would really be interested to know why a "big name" teacher of AI would be better.

Some of the better AI'ers I know never attended a class at all. They picked it up from someone who showed them the ropes at home. There really is nothing to the the procedure, any idiot (even me) can do it. It just takes a lot of practice to get the feel for it.

The majority of people who go through an AI course are never able to do it because they never get the feel for it. It can't be learned in a day or two......or three.

Carl is a good guy and I'm sure he puts on a good class though.

Mike you are so very right.
Some people "get it" very quickly, while others take time or never do.
Its very discouraging to waste semen. An I have wasted alot.
Its also tough to move cows back not because they will not breed but because you cant get it done????
But its all part of the deal, take your time and it will come sooner or later.
Or much later....

As far as the big name goes thats just marketing.
There is a guy close to me that runs a dairy that can just plain ole get it done.
In and out on less than a minute and gets em almost everytime.

The cows dont care how big a name you got.
They just need you to get the good stuff were it needs to be... :cowboy:

I'd rather pay and practice on the 30 or so cows that they had at Bovine Elite than my own. You're still going to to stumble around the first time you do your own cow without supervision.

If they use the same cows over multiple days you will learn or at least be exposed to a lot of behaviours. Some of the cows after the first dozen or so attepts give give up and relax and do their best to ignore you. You won;t learn much from them but you'll get experience and confidence. It's the ones that turn into real witches and fight you every inch of the way that you really learn from.

They bring in a different set of 10-12 cows each of the three days. After being poked and prodded by as many novice AI techs as handle those cows in a day, it's a miracle they're not all downers.

I'd say the only downside to the cow setup was that you didn't get the experience of going into a 'fresh' cow every time. By the second person, the crud has been cleared and the cervix has been opened a bit by the previous gun. By the 10th or so, it's pretty smooth sailing and you are really just practicing AIing different types of cervices.

I don't know who teaches currently but 2 year ago I took the class and they taught me what I needed to know. Dr. Sprott was the main instructor and he wrote the book on bovine pregnancy at Texas A&M.

Thanks for all the responses guys! I just wanted to see if it would be worth the trip from NY to TX for it...plus I get to see texas :-D

Proverbs 12:10":1rzl0lap said:
I don't know who teaches currently but 2 year ago I took the class and they taught me what I needed to know. Dr. Sprott was the main instructor and he wrote the book on bovine pregnancy at Texas A&M.

I agree completely. If you can get past the fact that the D word can be used as a noun, verb, pronoun, adjective, adverb, and a million other things, Dr. Sprott is the guy to teach you. Not that I am unexposed to profanity, but Dr. Sprott wrote more than the book an bovine preg.
:D

Latest posts