AI or local bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

kim

Reaction score
Im raising a commercial heifer as an FFA project. She's an angus/hereford cross at 13 months right now and im currently looking for a bull to breed her to. I fellow FFA member mentioned AI and I was wondering if it would be truly a possibilty? Is it something that may be feesable or should I just continue to look for a local bull? I live in a city area and it may be difficult to locate a good bull. I have located a Galloway bull that the owner is willingly to let me breed to for free, though I don't think he would be the best route. If you have any advice id be greatful. Thank you in advance!!

For a single heifer, AI would be probably the best option. But the heat detection for a single animal can be pretty divicult at times. Talk to the FFA person and find out the particulars of who does AI in your area. There are timed breeding synchronization programs that work at about a 60% rate for first service, these don't require heat detection.
There are a lot of good and proven Angus bulls available at a reasonable price for the semen from most of the major AI studs.

dun

Is this a heifer that you will be selling at the end of the project?

If so and you want to keep your cost down and make more money from your project, I personally would keep looking for a bull to possible breed her to. If you are in a city area, you may have to pay someone to AI her, like a vet, plus you will have the cost of the syn. medications, then also the cost of the semen.

Do they have to be bred for the project?

You have to weigh your goals. If this heifer is a start of future show calves, than it is worth the extra cost to have her AI. As Dun suggested, synchronized breeding might be the only way you would catch her in the right "time" for breeding. If there are any other bovine animals around her, than AI would be easier, because you would be able to "heat detect" and determine when a technition could breed her.
If you decide to AI, than you have to find a tech that could get you some semen worth breeding to.
AI opens up endless possibilities for a sire.

My concern with a borrowed bull is the possibility of STDs. I would sure want a vet check done on it before hand, not only for that but a BSE also. By the time you finish with that you're looking at probably about a wash between that and AI. And I'll pretty much gaurentee you can find an excellent proven bull of most any common breed for 20 bucks or less.

dun

Kick her out with the (free) Galloway bull, let her get pasture bred, then post back next Spring and update us on the calf.

Here is the facts I've gleaned from your post and responses and a few assumptions I've made.

You live in town. Heifer I'm assuming is on a small acerage or at the school farm. Therefore, you probably aren't going to use her to start a breeding operation but instead will sell her when she's two and too old to show.

If that's the case, get her bred in the cheapest, most efficient way possible. I'm thinking that's the free Galloway. If you sell her at a salebarn, she'll be worth lots more if she's heavy bred or a pair and just about any calf will do as long as it's not a longhorn cross and it's not too big for her to have. Galloway should fit the bill.

Since she's the breed makeup you describle, she's not what most would consider club calf dam material so no use breeding to the latest and greatest sire in America.

Get her bred, get her shown, get her sold and start over. That would be my advise.

I've discussed the different ideas several of you have mentioned with my FFA advisor. We've decided that the cheapest/easiest route is go with the Galloway bull and then sell her asap. The owner of the bull is planning to come out to give her a lookover. If he approves and deems her healthy ( free of fungus/warts/any other visible contagious diseases) she will be loaded and delivered to the bull within the next week. I have seen several of the bulls calves which are delivered quickly and are always quickly up and feeding. The owners herd is mainly for hobby purpose. My heifer is guarenteed well looked after during her stay. Thank you again for all your advice! Happy Farming!

Latest posts