AI or bull

Help Support CattleToday:

andrews29

Reaction score
need some advice i have 4 cows and im not sure if i should AI them or lease a bull. i know a guy that has a registered black angus that i can rent for 90 days for 550.00 or go with ai at 50.00 per head and hope they all take ? i have had a few steers out of the bull and they are very nice. any comments for somebody just starting

andrews29":3o93v0e1 said:
need some advice i have 4 cows and im not sure if i should AI them or lease a bull. i know a guy that has a registered black angus that i can rent for 90 days for 550.00 or go with ai at 50.00 per head and hope they all take ? i have had a few steers out of the bull and they are very nice. any comments for somebody just starting

In my mind he wants too much for "rent" on his bull. And if you cannot AI or have a close friend who can and is good at it I wouldn't consider that either. Why not just buy a bull, have a BSE test run on him to make sure he's sound,keep him 60-90 days and resell him when his work is finished. You'd have to take a $200 loss on him to actually be in the hole. Anything less than that and you're way ahead.

If you A.I and get 50% the first round the cost is $200 then A.I the second round the cost is $100 for a total of $300. So maybe cheaper to A.I but its a lot more work on you if you sync them, 3 times trough the chute if not you have to watch them close patch them or whatever method you plan to use. Genetics should be better A.I so i guess it depends on your time and what you want to achieve. If i was in your situation i would deffinetly A.I. but i also do my own A.I work and i agree with Texasbred seems high for lease on a bull around here its $400

andrews29":gajlafja said:

We've been a 100% AI program for a lot of years, but it is time demanding. A couple of shots of lut might get them cycling closer together, but you've still got to heat check or synch. With AI you can get top genetics fairly cheap (at least with Angus), but there's synch cost and heat detection to be considered. Plus a good AI tech, under the best circumstances, probably won't get 100% the first time. So you're left with one open cow. Then what? She'll be at least three weeks behind the other three calving. If you know the bull and are happy with the calves you've got from him, that might be the best way to go. Seems to me that it's a "whatever works best for you situation."

Latest posts