AI and standing heat

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I'm just about done with synching my cattle, I pulled CIDR's on friday, and gave a shot of lute at that time. I'm set up to AI the group at 8 am on monday morning, with a shot of GnRH at that time. That will be 60 hrs + 3 (63 hrs) after I pulled the CIDR's.

I have 2 cows in standing heat now, I see the rule of thumb is to AI 12 hrs after standing heat. What's your thoughts on waiting until 8 am with to AI with the rest (20 hrs from now)?

Thanks,
Alan

Alan, I'd rather do them tonight, but theoretically the range from 12 hours-18 hours after the onset of standing heat should yield the highest conception rates. Onset being the operative word.

If you are not absolutely sure when they came into standing heat, rather be safe than sorry and do them tonight. I have little experience with CIDRs and the experience I've had wasn't very good, so maybe send dun or northern rancher an e-mail or PM.

I would breed late this evening for those in standing heat today. The others you would time AI. The vet and I talked about CIDRS and he feels that a lot of them show standing heat as early as 24 hours after pulling the CIDR and he has me AI them accordingly

My vet has me give the shot one day and pull the cidr the next day. Seems to work for me, I had everything standing today within 8 hours.

Latest posts