Adding oil to your diesel

Help Support CattleToday:

Wick

Reaction score
Does people on here add oil like shell rotella 10W40 to there diesel fuel for their tractors. And if so how much. I was told to try this to help lubricate the motor but don't want to jack something up real bad. Thanks Wick

I use a diesel additive to lubricate the injector pump and help keep the injectors clean but have never used motor oil.

I have used TCW-3 rated 2-cycle oil. Since 2 stroke oil is not specifically recommended for that purpose, I can't do so either. I've also heard it can leave combustion chamber deposits on injectors.

Most of the time I use Power Service Diesel Kleen in my fuel for lubricity purposes and as a fuel stabilizer.

If your wanting to lubricate at a reasonable cost, Walmart's Super Tech OUTBOARD 2-Stroke motor oil will do the trick. About 1 quart for every 50 gallons.

REMEMBER IF YOU USE 2-STROKE OIL IN YOUR DIESEL, IT HAS TO BE OUTBOARD AND NOT STANDARD 2-STROKE OIL. This is due to the ash present in regular 2-stroke oil which will leave deposits on your valves.

There was a supposedly scientific study done that has been reposted at various sites where biodiesel came out on top on all the additives for lubricity. Marvel Mystery Oil turned out to be a disappointment which surprised me. I used to use MMO in gasoline engines for a valve/upper cylinder lubricant to replace lead.

I use TCW-3 in my bulk gasoline tank now and have used it in diesel fuel too. Like Aaron said, 200:1 is a good ratio and make sure it's low ash TCW-3 rated for both air and water cooled engines.

Back to diesel fuel itself. I used B5 for one hay season and was well pleased with it. Now it's not available "here". I don't think it's advisable to just go get a jug of cooking oil and dump in your tank either.

John SD":301w81kz said:
There was a supposedly scientific study done that has been reposted at various sites where biodiesel came out on top on all the additives for lubricity. Marvel Mystery Oil turned out to be a disappointment which surprised me. I used to use MMO in gasoline engines for a valve/upper cylinder lubricant to replace lead.

I use TCW-3 in my bulk gasoline tank now and have used it in diesel fuel too. Like Aaron said, 200:1 is a good ratio and make sure it's low ash TCW-3 rated for both air and water cooled engines.

Back to diesel fuel itself. I used B5 for one hay season and was well pleased with it. Now it's not available "here". I don't think it's advisable to just go get a jug of cooking oil and dump in your tank either.

Dead on on what you mix with your diesel fuel when it comes to cooking oil's you can get into acidity problems.
Most retailers already add lubricant additives to their diesel. ULSD shouldn't be much of an issue unless it is No1 Diesel sold in northern climates as it has more Kerosene blended to reduced problems related to colder climates.
Kerosene has lower lubricating qualities versus diesel.

Stocker Steve":1bfula0i said:
If the lube is needed why does the oil company not add it to the fuel?

Additive's are added at the terminal not the refinery as diesel is a fungible product and swaped back and forth.
Your supplier might have bought a ship load from Europe through Henry Hub in New York, off the Continental pipeline headed up the east coast, or the Cushing Tank farm in Oklahoma .

Depends on the jobber just because the station says Exxon it may be an independent owned. Look on the pump many times it will say that the diesel is not propietary product. Most majors do add a lubricant package at the terminal for sales at there stations.

I have an old Ford 3610 tractor. My cousin who is a New Holland dealer told me that since the reformulation of diesel I absolutley need to use a diesle additive of some sort in this older model tractor. I get mine either from advance or walmart.

I try to run 50% used motor oil in all my old equipment. The price is right, and I just pump it through a filter coming and going. In the winter I cut the oil to 25% of the fuel. Adding oil to the fuel in electronically controlled engines is not a good idea. My old ford has 420k miles on it and its run an oil mix most its life.

in our state the only difference is one is died red and the other is not so that the guvement can make sure you paid the appropriate taxes.

Latest posts