Adding a hydraulic oil cooler to implement?

Help Support CattleToday:

sunnyblueskies

Reaction score
JD 7410, running a Matador swath inverter.......... the hydraulic oil get's way too hot and the tractor doesn't like it.
I've had this discussion a few years ago already, but lost track and didn't follow through with the project.
Has anybody installed a aftermarket hydraulic oil cooler to one of their implements? Like inline between the tractor and the implement? Do you have pictures you wouldn't mind sharing?
How do I pick the right coolersize? And where would I install it inline...... like between the tractor and the implement on the supply line or between the implement and the tractor on the return line?
So many questions............

Pressure is too high to just place a cooler inline. It needs to be on the return side, usually right before it is dumped back into the reservoir.

If it is a constant flow single direction motor, you could place the cooler on the return side hose of the implement, but you would need a check valve and pressure relief to prevent the cooler from blowing, should the flow ever be reversed. You will need a pretty good sized cooler to flow enough.

Pressure is too high to just place a cooler inline. It needs to be on the return side, usually right before it is dumped back into the reservoir.

If it is a constant flow single direction motor, you could place the cooler on the return side hose of the implement, but you would need a check valve and pressure relief to prevent the cooler from blowing, should the flow ever be reversed. You will need a pretty good sized cooler to flow enough.
Hmm, so you are saying more or less it can't be done......... because it is a reversible motor.
What would you suggest could be done?

JD 7410, running a Matador swath inverter.......... the hydraulic oil get's way too hot and the tractor doesn't like it.
I've had this discussion a few years ago already, but lost track and didn't follow through with the project.
Has anybody installed a aftermarket hydraulic oil cooler to one of their implements? Like inline between the tractor and the implement? Do you have pictures you wouldn't mind sharing?
How do I pick the right coolersize? And where would I install it inline...... like between the tractor and the implement on the supply line or between the implement and the tractor on the return line?
So many questions............
I missed your previous thread, but we have a JD 7410 that we run the snot out of ( close to 10K hrs) so I have some basic questions:
Do you have the hydraulics set to run an orbital motor? What type of ends are on your hoses? Do you have to use adaptors on the hoses to hook up to tractor? Do you have power-beyond on the tractor? If so have you tried plugging into that instead of the regular box? Does the inverter have a flow control?
We've ran a hyd auger, hay rake, and a corn planter w/ vacc. with ours. Never had any trouble with the hydro getting hot.

I missed your previous thread, but we have a JD 7410 that we run the snot out of ( close to 10K hrs) so I have some basic questions:
Do you have the hydraulics set to run an orbital motor? What type of ends are on your hoses? Do you have to use adaptors on the hoses to hook up to tractor? Do you have power-beyond on the tractor? If so have you tried plugging into that instead of the regular box? Does the inverter have a flow control?
We've ran a hyd auger, hay rake, and a corn planter w/ vacc. with ours. Never had any trouble with the hydro getting hot.
Phew, lots of questions. =)
No we don't have to use adapters on the hoses to plug it into the tractor.
Yes the inverter has flow control, but if that is not set to highest flow possible it doesn't move the swath efficient enough and tends to plug up.
You are quite possibly right that we don't have it set up as we should with the hydraulics. What are your suggestions?
The owners manual only gives suggestions for setting it up with a tractor with open or closed hydraulic system. I understand that the 7410 isn't quite open or closed.
Run me through it, how would you set it up to run without overheating?
P.S.: Years ago we ran the inverter on a 2950 and it did the same thing, the tractors warning light for the hydraulic fluid getting too hot came on.

I think there is an adjustment behind the outlet, should show a hydraulic cylinder, I forget what the motor insignia looks like, but you should switch or rotate that, it probably is not set for running a hydraulic motor.

Phew, lots of questions. =)
No we don't have to use adapters on the hoses to plug it into the tractor.
Yes the inverter has flow control, but if that is not set to highest flow possible it doesn't move the swath efficient enough and tends to plug up.
You are quite possibly right that we don't have it set up as we should with the hydraulics. What are your suggestions?
The owners manual only gives suggestions for setting it up with a tractor with open or closed hydraulic system. I understand that the 7410 isn't quite open or closed.
Run me through it, how would you set it up to run without overheating?
P.S.: Years ago we ran the inverter on a 2950 and it did the same thing, the tractors warning light for the hydraulic fluid getting too hot came on.
A 7410 has a closed center pressure flow compensating hydraulic system.
On the back of your 7410 it looks like this?IMG_20210710_200834.jpg This is my 6320, but it's the same as our 7410. The black dial on the left is set for orbital motor. I was running our hay rake.
IMG_20210710_200855.jpg

what I'm pointing to is the setting for orbital motor. You turn it to look like the other one.

Hook up your hoses so that you can run it with the hydraulic lever pushed forward. Then you can flip up the little black plastic stopper and push the lever all the way forward to shut off the hydraulic motor by costing, not hydraulic lock. IMG_20210710_202630.jpg
IMG_20210710_202525.jpg

As for your flow control: have you ever tried running the tractor hydraulics wide open and slowing the flow to the desired speed with the flow control? Or try eliminating the flow control and just adjust the speed with the green dial in the first pictures. If you take the flow control out that would be that much less for the oil to pass through and create heat.
If you went to a power-beyond system, then you could possibly dump the return right into the rear end of the tractor. You would have to use the flow control on the merger then.
Our 7410 also replaced a 2950. The 74 has a far better system for running orbital motors than a 29.

When was the last time the hydraulic oil and filters were changed? Blow out the hydraulic cooler on the tractor?

I guess another option would be to put a pto hydraulic pump on the merger so that it has a self contained hydraulic system that is ran off the tractors pto.

Good luck.

A 7410 has a closed center pressure flow compensating hydraulic system.
On the back of your 7410 it looks like this?View attachment 5765 This is my 6320, but it's the same as our 7410. The black dial on the left is set for orbital motor. I was running our hay rake.
View attachment 5766

what I'm pointing to is the setting for orbital motor. You turn it to look like the other one.

Hook up your hoses so that you can run it with the hydraulic lever pushed forward. Then you can flip up the little black plastic stopper and push the lever all the way forward to shut off the hydraulic motor by costing, not hydraulic lock. View attachment 5767
View attachment 5768

As for your flow control: have you ever tried running the tractor hydraulics wide open and slowing the flow to the desired speed with the flow control? Or try eliminating the flow control and just adjust the speed with the green dial in the first pictures. If you take the flow control out that would be that much less for the oil to pass through and create heat.
If you went to a power-beyond system, then you could possibly dump the return right into the rear end of the tractor. You would have to use the flow control on the merger then.
Our 7410 also replaced a 2950. The 74 has a far better system for running orbital motors than a 29.

When was the last time the hydraulic oil and filters were changed? Blow out the hydraulic cooler on the tractor?

I guess another option would be to put a pto hydraulic pump on the merger so that it has a self contained hydraulic system that is ran off the tractors pto.

Good luck.
Wow, thanks SBMF 2015 that's a lot of good input.
As per the last statement, converting it to a pto run inverter....... I would love that, but that's a whole other story. Never done anything like that.
I really appreciate your pictures and all that. Helps a lot. Will let you know if it worked out. =)

Latest posts