? about some of the teminology

Help Support CattleToday:

mjdtexan

Reaction score
I was reading the tread running cows on alfalfa and I didnt understand some of the terms used in the thread and I didnt want to hijack the thread. Would someone explain them please.

1. swath graze
2. strip graze
3. tromp graze

4. break wire. (actually I think I get this one but I want to be sure. I think they mean to seperate their property with it)

Sorry if it seems academic to yall but I am trying to get it down. Thanks

I think 1, 2, and 3 are pretty much the same thing. Using an electric fence it is high density grazing for a short period. The idea is to put enough cattle in the area given that tromp the manure into the ground or just generally spread it. As soon as it is grazed down then they are moved to a new section. This method does not let the cattle be so selective about what they eat.
A small article; http://pasturemanagement.com/growingsoi.htm
I believe you are right on #4.

Thank You. I had done some google searches on the different grazing going on. There wasnt much on tromp grazing. During my researching I have realized you guys (and girls) almost have to be scientist when it comes to raising large herds of cattle. There are so many different ways to raise cattle, different kinds of crops to plant, etc that you could easily become overwhelmed with all of the information out there.

Latest posts