Abnormal calf

Help Support CattleToday:

JJ27

Reaction score
This is a first for us...one of our cows had a heifer calf that does not have a tail and her left eye seems strange...kinda like a really bad lazy eye I guess? The day it was born we were unsure if it had an anus even but after a closer look she does and today we saw that she successfully pooped. So that was a relief. The first day she would excessively circle toward the left but so far today she seems a lot calmer and hasn't really done that. So she is just an abnormal calf in multiple ways. She is nursing good. Hopefully she doesn't have anything else wrong with her. I'm hoping someone will buy her to feed her out or maybe want her as a strange pet. Anyone else have anything like this happen?

I had a calf born a few years back that didn't have a tail... didn't even have a nub where the tail was supposed to be! Just flat. I had a couple pictures of it but can't seem to locate them now. If my memory serves me correctly, we kept the calf and raised it for beef... I wasn't going to take the hit at the market and my buyers surely wouldn't have wanted it. About the only thing that I worried about was the fly issues bothering the cow with no defense coming from the tail. Treated it special for fly control and other than that, it was a normal cow!

JJ27 said:
This is a first for us...one of our cows had a heifer calf that does not have a tail and her left eye seems strange...kinda like a really bad lazy eye I guess? The day it was born we were unsure if it had an anus even but after a closer look she does and today we saw that she successfully pooped. So that was a relief. The first day she would excessively circle toward the left but so far today she seems a lot calmer and hasn't really done that. So she is just an abnormal calf in multiple ways. She is nursing good. Hopefully she doesn't have anything else wrong with her. I'm hoping someone will buy her to feed her out or maybe want her as a strange pet. Anyone else have anything like this happen?

Id love to see a picture if you have one...

This was one of mine last year, bull calf. Weaned at 745 lbs and otherwise very healthy, just made sure I was diligent about fly spraying his behind. And yes, he got docked at the sale but we didn't need any more burger.

I'd like to post a picture but I can't figure out how. I click the Add image to post button but then I get this message when I try to submit the picture I loaded: You can't post image, email or url links that are external to this domain...

Here's mine from last spring. I have her with the replacements. She turned out really pretty besides the no tail thing. I'll have to post a recent pic

JJ27 said:
I'd like to post a picture but I can't figure out how. I click the Add image to post button but then I get this message when I try to submit the picture I loaded: You can't post image, email or url links that are external to this domain...

Make sure that the picture you are loading is saved on your computer or phone prior to uploading.

Click the add image to post.

Click Choose Images

Find the picture and select open. It will appear like a URL on your screen until you press submit or preview, then you will see the pic appear

Hmm, that's what I do but it doesn't let me submit. Oh well.

Latest posts