A Thought about Equipment in the Pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

mncattle

Reaction score
Well I thought I would post this in the beginners forum because we all have heard and/or know better about keeping equipment in the pasture.

This morning went out the do chores and found my bull dead in the pasture. He had gotten his head stuck in a field digger I was keeping out there and after what looked like quite a struggle had either choked himself to death or bloated up and died.

So a reminder for all of us that we should not keep equipment in the pasture with the cattle because it can and does happen. I knew better than to keep equipment in the pasture but did it anyways because that stuff does not really happen but it does and I now need to start looking for a new bull.

Andy

I know exactly what you mean. Sorry about the loss.
We had our old disc sitting up in the hedgerow. Been kept in the same spot forever. Hubby said a few times, "you ought to put a fence around that". Well, last year a top 2-year old cow that was consigned to a sale, got her head stuck in it. Fortunately for us, we found her shortly after she did it. She was not a halter broke animal, but luckily she was really "calm". We put mineral oil on her head & neck - that didn't work. In the meantime, she was struggling & finally ended up with all four legs in & among all the parts of the disc. Hubby brought out his torches & cut up the disc & got her out. By the time he got it cut up, she was lying on her side with legs & head stuck. We just backed away & she slowly worked her way out of the mess. Amazingly, just had some "burn" spots from the cutting torch, slight cuts, & quite a lot of raw rubbed spots. She made it to the sale & was one of the top sellers. We sure counted our blessings.
Quess what? The disc is ALWAYS fenced out of the cattle area - along with all the other equipment.
So, your advice is very good.

Yup, brother had a cow (one of his registered and a favorite) bleed to death from getting hurt on the disk that was parked in their paddock.....

Never thought of it that way. I don;t leave equipment in the pastures because I don;t want them comvered with sh.. manure when I need to use them.

I had one (actually a neighbors) get into the hay storage area a few times last fall where I also kept a cattle trailer. Although I didn't see her actually do it, the connector and about 4 feet of wiring had been ripped out at the GN and were just flat gone. I never did find any of it and had to splice a new connector and wires back on. Now I try to tuck it all further back into the beams and not leave any of it showing.

mncattle":3317uj1l said:
Well I thought I would post this in the beginners forum because we all have heard and/or know better about keeping equipment in the pasture.

This morning went out the do chores and found my bull dead in the pasture. He had gotten his head stuck in a field digger I was keeping out there and after what looked like quite a struggle had either choked himself to death or bloated up and died.

So a reminder for all of us that we should not keep equipment in the pasture with the cattle because it can and does happen. I knew better than to keep equipment in the pasture but did it anyways because that stuff does not really happen but it does and I now need to start looking for a new bull.

Andy
the ones that don't care , seem too get away with it the most

Jogeephus":1r821l79 said:
Be watchful of old batteries too cause they are poison to cattle.

New batteries too.

Eidt: Somehow they got in to the battery on the spray rig

My sweetie pie got the idea of running Christmas lights down about 100yds. of the fence by our yard. Next morning the cord was the most chewed up mess that I've ever seen. They were burning when we went to bed but not the next A.M.
Lesson learned.

Latest posts