In like a Lion

Help Support CattleToday:

We don't typically get as much snow out here on the flat as they do in the Hills, but they're still saying 12 to 14 inches for us. With the wind, that will easily make monstrous drifts (we have a lot of trees), and now we've been "upgraded" to blizzard warning, so they're expecting wind in excess of 35mph. A foot of snow with no wind is no big deal, but a 4 to 6 foot drift outside my back door makes it hard to get out and feed the animals. The only saving grace is that the forecast has us in the 50s and 60s by next weekend, so it will melt. But there will be rivers, lakes, and fast running streams between me and the barns. I don't like ice-out any more than I like the snow. I wish I could skip all of this and just wake up in the morning and it would be the middle of May and everything is green and dry and blooming.
we are east of Fargo about 90 miles in Minnesota. forecast now is 6 to 12 inches of snow with winds for today and overnight. we need to get done with this.

Well we got about 5 or 6 inches last night, and it is still snowing. Casper got 26.7 inches yesterday, the second highest amount on record.

No pic but 5" snow 4-2-23 and 10mph wind -4f 2 heifer calves I put in barn w/mom. Above frezing yesterday for couple hours, moved snow with skid steer Monday, no sun yet today 9a but will get to +35 today...they said. gotta go check for new calves again

we are east of Fargo about 90 miles in Minnesota. forecast now is 6 to 12 inches of snow with winds for today and overnight. we need to get done with this.

Well, our blizzard fizzled. Not that I'm complaining or anything, LOL! We seem to be right on the northern edge of it all, so we had a few inches of snow this morning, but it's stopped now, and the wind hasn't gotten much above about 20mph. So we got "snow," not a "blizzard." I got all worked up for nothing. I'm glad, though - we have plenty of snow and we sure don't need any more.

I don't know where Fargo is in the Doppler scheme of things, but maybe it won't be so bad for you, either. :) I just went and looked. Seems like the worst of it is west of you, and it's moving generally north, so maybe it won't be a big deal. West of Fargo looks like they're getting some heavy snow right now, but farther east, it thins out.

Well, our blizzard fizzled. Not that I'm complaining or anything, LOL! We seem to be right on the northern edge of it all, so we had a few inches of snow this morning, but it's stopped now, and the wind hasn't gotten much above about 20mph. So we got "snow," not a "blizzard." I got all worked up for nothing. I'm glad, though - we have plenty of snow and we sure don't need any more.

I don't know where Fargo is in the Doppler scheme of things, but maybe it won't be so bad for you, either. :) I just went and looked. Seems like the worst of it is west of you, and it's moving generally north, so maybe it won't be a big deal. West of Fargo looks like they're getting some heavy snow right now, but farther east, it thins out.
we didnt get the amount of forecast thankfully. we got maybe six inches and a little rain/drizzle on top. looking at the forecast for next week and its warmer with rain for days. flooding seems inevitable for many.

Our reservoir is at 69% full right now and Snotel has the mountain snow pack at 148%. We are going to have a high water. It is just a matter of how much and when. Right now at the reservoir they are dumping 3 cfs. I have a lot more than that coming through. But it is about 40 miles upstream to the reservoir. There is a lot of side streams running into the river between here and there. Those streams are at lower elevation and running pretty good right now.

We got more snow last night, after I thought it had stopped, but I don't care. At least the power didn't go out. We probably got 6 or 8 inches total (it's hard to tell for sure because of the drifting), but originally, the forecast was for 19 inches, so I'm counting us lucky. It's sunny and windy today and then starting tomorrow it will warm up and start melting. Then, there will be flooding in our driveway. There will be a fast-moving stream in our driveway. Probably about a half-acre pond out in the cow pasture as well. We also get all the melt runoff from the hayfields across the road from us, so it's not just OUR snow, it's the neighbor's snow, too.

53 and raining here in deep east Texas...has been a bit warmer (60's, 70's, and a few 80's) lately - then this little cool front passed through...started raining last night and has pretty much been non-stop with a few exceptions...not a downpour but a good slow soaking rain...low temps supposed to get up to the 60's next week after the rain passes through...been reading some of the posts from the folks up north...geez...this little east Texas farm boy ain't built for those cold temps...I know some people like it but I don't do cold. As for those just a little north of here - did y'all get tornadoes like the ones in Missouri? Stay safe...and folks up north, stay warm.

Last edited:
53 and raining here in deep east Texas...has been a bit warmer (60's, 70's, and a few 80's) lately - then this little cool front passed through...started raining last night and has pretty much been non-stop with a few exceptions...not a downpour but a good slow soaking rain...low temps supposed to get up to the 60's next week after the rain passes through...been reading some of the posts from the folks up north...geez...this little east Texas farm boy ain't built for those cold temps...I know some people like it but I don't do cold. As for those just a little north of here - did y'all get tornadoes like the ones in Missouri? Stay safe...and folks up north, stay warm.
Yeah, well... what a difference a few days can make. It was 23 degrees when I got up this morning... and will be again tomorrow morning, so I took advantage of my "poor man's concrete" and got 'em fed without mud. I put out 5 days worth today ahead of 'em, and will probably be out again tomorrow morning doing the same, because the deep frost is all gone already for the most part, and the "overnight freezing" is over after tonight. Supposed to get up 75 next week, with lows in the low 50's. No rain though, so it should settle out pretty quickly. We had an all day soaker about a week ago that took all the frost out and settled the gravel roads real good.

Getting to be time to put them on a sacrifice area or keep them moving really, really fast.......... starting to see some hints of green just starting if you use a magnifying glass!

April 1, 2023.................................................. and April 6, 2023 same spot in the field (from different angle)
1680398330915.png
1680799188221.png

Latest posts