A Steak in Genomics

Help Support CattleToday:

HerefordGuy,

Re:
Quality Beef by the Numbers:
Spring 2014 Update
Guest post by Mike Kasten
First let me say, I believe breeders have done an excellent job producing breeds of cattle to meet/fit the changing demand.
Where I see the problem with many cattle genetics is coming from those who cross breed without the proper knowledge and understanding of how genetics work. For example, cross breeding for a more desirable color and ending up breeding out more important desirable traits.
I believe cross breeding should be left up to those who know what they are doing.
Now as for, " beef by the number" I'm not sure that micro managing is the answer to maximizing your profit, as there are outside factors that are not controllable that can effect your profit.
The weather and your own environment being two.
The third being the economy.
With the economy being what it is today, and what it has been for several years, I respectfully disagree with the assumption that producing quality over quantity is the most profitable.
As I see it, economic demands for quality beef has shifted in favor of quantity and a change in your selected breed, which produces more beef of lesser quality, in today's economy is more profitable.
Thanks for the thought provoking posts

NC Liz 2":m659l8bp said:
HerefordGuy,

Re:
Quality Beef by the Numbers:
Spring 2014 Update
Guest post by Mike Kasten
First let me say, I believe breeders have done an excellent job producing breeds of cattle to meet/fit the changing demand.
Where I see the problem with many cattle genetics is coming from those who cross breed without the proper knowledge and understanding of how genetics work. For example, cross breeding for a more desirable color and ending up breeding out more important desirable traits.
I believe cross breeding should be left up to those who know what they are doing.
Now as for, " beef by the number" I'm not sure that micro managing is the answer to maximizing your profit, as there are outside factors that are not controllable that can effect your profit.
The weather and your own environment being two.
The third being the economy.
With the economy being what it is today, and what it has been for several years, I respectfully disagree with the assumption that producing quality over quantity is the most profitable.
As I see it, economic demands for quality beef has shifted in favor of quantity and a change in your selected breed, which produces more beef of lesser quality, in today's economy is more profitable.
Thanks for the thought provoking posts

NC Liz 2,
Thanks for the comment. I agree that cross breeding needs to be planned and with economically important traits in mind, while keeping the entire beef system in mind (health, fertility, feed efficiency, product quality, sale weight, environment tolerance, etc).

As far as quality vs. quantity, I have heard many people argue for both sides of the argument. Personally, as I see other countries increasing their quantity, I'm not convinced that will be the strength of the US. But, I think we are quite ahead in terms of quality. I'll let the economists continue to hash that out!

Okay, I'm feeding the monkey, ah, oh the troll, Hereford whatever, if you post 6 of the 8 post do you think there is a problem. ....... Liz?

Latest posts