A selection of cows....

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

For your perusal!! (And comments if you wish!)

z178, by Trevino Wilbur 1st http://abri.une.edu.au/online/cgi-b...&5=2B3C2B3C3A&6=5C255B5A2727242024&9=5D505C50
rosette_z178.JPG

z155, by Belmore Fuel Injected V12 http://abri.une.edu.au/online/cgi-b...&5=2B3C2B3C3A&6=5C255B5A582624242D&9=5D505C5F
lotus_z155.JPG

z210, by Shadybrook Scotty 83K (Imp Can) http://abri.une.edu.au/online/cgi-b...&5=2B3C2B3C3A&6=5C255B5A2458202E2F&9=5D505C5E
lassie_z210_ex_S52.JPG

z250, by Stonelea Winchester (Imp USA) 1=313021&2=2420&3=56&5=2B3C2B3C3A&6=5C255B5B2426262122&9=5D505C5D
wynona_z250.JPG

I like all the Shorthorns you have been putting on here. They are good looking cattle. Its nice to see some good cattle with a little color or a few spots, I think the entire state of Kansas is converting to black.

Are there any horned shorthorns around anymore? The only Shorthorns I see around here are two guys who have about 15 a piece and then the show cattle people seem to be using them quite a bit.

Busterz":289h9mt2 said:
I like all the Shorthorns you have been putting on here. They are good looking cattle. Its nice to see some good cattle with a little color or a few spots, I think the entire state of Kansas is converting to black.

Are there any horned shorthorns around anymore? The only Shorthorns I see around here are two guys who have about 15 a piece and then the show cattle people seem to be using them quite a bit.

There's some folks about 40 mi north and east of Liberal with some nice shorthorns, will pm you the name if I can find it again.

I like the Shadybrook Scotty daughter....I have some semen in the tank, just haven't used it yet. It's nice to see a daughter out of him.

In regards to horned shorthorns....there are a lot around, you just see them de-horned since that is what the association requires.

ebrown512":1kipak18 said:
I like the Shadybrook Scotty daughter....I have some semen in the tank, just haven't used it yet. It's nice to see a daughter out of him.

In regards to horned shorthorns....there are a lot around, you just see them de-horned since that is what the association requires.

Really? Why?

I don't know the why of it....I believe the current registration guidelines still require horned animals to be dehorned. If you see an ASA registration number that is not preceeded by an X it is a horned animal. (A preceeding asterisk indicates a some percentage of other genetics, usually Maine influence.)

That's not the case here. The Australian Shorthorn herd is predominantly polled, however there are still the odd horns that pop up. We ourselves have a few, and they're some of our best breeders. There is no 'requirement' to dehorn, however we generally do at marking and, later in life, if the cows horns are curled or causing some sort of trouble, we knock the tips off.
We also have the Beef Shorthorns here, which are generally horned, then there are also the Dairy Shorthorns and Australian Shorthorns.... though they are all much the same, just little differences.

I love the Scotty cow. She is out of the same cow as the sire of z155, Fuel Injected. I showed another sibling last year to Intermediate Champion at the SA All Breeds Heifer Expo. A very good family!! Scotty has bred very well for us here, and our top sire at the moment is buy him. The daughters are breeding on too, exceeding themselves actually!!

There are still several shorthorn breeders around me (near Sedalia, Missouri). I can think of 4 breeders in my county alone. I like the breed myself. I've got 5 shorthorn cows, a small Durham Red herd which is 1/2 Shorthorn, and of course the Santas (our main enterprise) which is 5/8 Shorthorn.

The grass is probably brown b/c they are getting ready to enter winter in Australia.

Santas and Duhram Reds":8v7ste6b said:
The grass is probably brown b/c they are getting ready to enter winter in Australia.

The grass is brown because it's the middle of summer!!

Latest posts