A Miracle

Help Support CattleToday:

Williamsv

Reaction score
I know this is very common for most of you. I walked down the fence row this morning to check on a cow that was due to calve ten days ago. I saw her laying under a big pecan tree with three or four more cows. I thought to myself that there was still no calf. She is one of Mama's older cows. In a minute I looked and saw a calf coming into this world. It was so still at first until I was afraid that it was dead. Then I saw its little head come up and I said, "Thank you Lord." All of this happened so fast.
She is a big Baldy cow black with white speckled face. Calf is just like her. She has not had one like this in four years.
This is my second calf like this. Funny thing is that my friend was going to sell me a heifer like this when she got older, but his grandson chose her to be his show calf. Now I have two. God moves in mysterious ways His wonders to perform. And He is so very good to us.

Always miraculous and still somewhat mysterious to watch 'em come into this world, and so relieved when they take that 1st breath, whether they do it on their own or you have to 'encourage' it some.

I have seen very few calves born in person. Pulled many, but not happened up on many.

I had seen a few calves born before, but never one as fast and easy as this one. It was way across the pasture with its mother and other cows when I went back to check after lunch. This is the hottest day that we have had this spring. 93 degrees when we were there and grass is beginning to dry up. We sure need some rain.

Nothing like a white faced calf! I'm like TCRanch. I always wonder when I "catch" them in the act.... How long has she been trying? Do I need to help her? But I usually wait and everything is usually good. Did catch one a week and a half ago that had one leg back. It was a mess for sure. I liked to have killed me, cow, calf and all but we all survived. Glad it all worked out well Mrs Williamson.

I never get tired of it! It is indeed a miracle. That little creature was setting in a warm bag of fluid, in the dark. Then the next thing you know it's in the daylight and breathing air. :)

I came upon a first-timer this morning, with her new baby. Born within a few hours of me coming up on them. A little white-faced heifer also. No speckles on mine.

Congrats!

Thank you all for your kind words. That new baby was right with its mama and the other cows at dark. I am thankful for it. Wish my mama could see it, but I bet she was looking down and saw it all. That was one of her favorite cows and four years since she had a calf like that. They have been solid black until this one.

Latest posts