A little help please (calf)

Help Support CattleToday:

Ghunt

Reaction score
We have a Angus calf born 12/5/2009. He has a lump on the side of his neck that looks like its been leaking puss. The lump feels hard and is about the size of a golfball. The calf seems fine and is still eating and running. Gave 3cc of pen. Any ideas?

As milkmaid said, if he was given a shot it could be from that. If not, it sounds like an abscess of some sort..if he is acting fine I wouldn't worry about it too much, just monitor it.

those knots from a shot can hang around for a while. One of my cows has one and the last shot she got was Nov. Its nothing to worry about.

Ghunt":omsdhede said:
Possibly, but shots were given about a month ago.

I'm going to guess that the shot was clostridial with tetanus combined?

...nothing to worry about.

if it is "leaking pus" I'd be pretty tempted to open it a bit more and clean it out. If youdo, keep everything clean as possible, clip or shave the hair out of the way - open to the bottom of it so it can drain - squirt some peroxide in to foam it all out. Clean it good and keep it open so it heals from the deepest part out and doesn't close up on something and start all over. If it is hot or calf is running a fever some antibiotics are warranted as well.

Latest posts