A.I. Question

Help Support CattleToday:

dt34715

Reaction score
If a cow is in standing heat at 3:30 in the afternoon, what would be the latest time that she could be bred on the next day.

most use the AM PM rule.and that if you see them in heat in the morning you bred in the evening.evening heats are bred in the morning.

Just wandering what would be the latest the next morning and still be able to have a good percentage of conception.

I would think anytime before about noon. Or if it is conveneient and I had GnRH on hand I would breed her late tonight and give her the GnRH then

My best conception rates for AI was with a tech that bred them 14 hrs. after they start to stand. If that fell in the middle of the night, that's when he bred them. He felt that was the ideal time for Brangus. And he seemed to have good success. But I think 12-24 hours is exceptable. It helps to know how long your cow usually stays in.
If I am using some of my own stock piled semen from a bull that I had collected, (with cost being minimal,) I might breed 2-3 times. Beginning at the 12 hour mark and again at 18-20 hour mark.

Whatever is most convenient for YOU up until about noon tomorrow should give you great results. Don't sweat it other than what works for you. I breed literally tens of thousands of cows a year and on the majority of them I have no clue when standing heat was except that it happened within the last twenty four hours. When you factor in that every cow is different so standing heat is really not an accurate indication of ovulation timing it makes you want to shrug and just do it when it's convenient for you.

I'd go either pm that day or am the following day with no concern... but if for some reason I hadn't got her done by noon the next day, reckon I'd still put a straw in her before nightfall. That (reduced) chance is better than the certainty of waiting another three weeks.

cow pollinater":2hbccfs6 said:
Whatever is most convenient for YOU up until about noon tomorrow should give you great results. Don't sweat it other than what works for you. I breed literally tens of thousands of cows a year and on the majority of them I have no clue when standing heat was except that it happened within the last twenty four hours. When you factor in that every cow is different so standing heat is really not an accurate indication of ovulation timing it makes you want to shrug and just do it when it's convenient for you.

Absolutely!

Latest posts