A Great Government Program

Help Support CattleToday:

littletom":35nksdnr said:
I did not read all the post. I am a tobacco farmer and on my county caip board. This is what bothers me about it. I will keep it short. It is not a government program it is not tax dollars at all!! Years ago some states made a master settlement with big tobacco. They paid the states X amount if they would not sue them over health care. In turn no new none payees can open a manufacturing of tobacco company in the state. Ky is the only state that decided to give it back to the farmer. The others put it into general fund. The amount each county gets is based on how much tobacco it grew.
A lot of post on this thread from people way of base on what they are talking about.

Yes. But you might as well howl at the moon as to think you can change their minds. In the end, does it matter?

littletom":2hz7olb0 said:
For the tobacco haters I have out a little over a 100 acres of burley. That will make several smokes.

Wow. That is about as big as I have heard of!!!

I assume you have it under contract? BTW: who are the big contractor tobacco companies in Kentucky?

Kinda middle of the road size wise in my area. Biggest single operator here has 540 several 150-250. Some families down on state line pushing 1000. Yes all mine is contracted be crazy to wildcat much in these times. Univerasal Leaf likely buys the most in Ky. They buy in Glasgow and I think Mays Lick. Jti is next they buy in Springfield and Franklin. Then Altria they buy in E-Town. A couple of smaller one left but small piece of pie. I think Glasgow did around 18 and Springfield 10-12 million pounds last year they are who I deal with. This is all burley I know nothing about dark fire or air.

littletom":1pdpsk4g said:
Kinda middle of the road size wise in my area. Biggest single operator here has 540 several 150-250. Some families down on state line pushing 1000. Yes all mine is contracted be crazy to wildcat much in these times. Univerasal Leaf likely buys the most in Ky. They buy in Glasgow and I think Mays Lick. Jti is next they buy in Springfield and Franklin. Then Altria they buy in E-Town. A couple of smaller one left but small piece of pie. I think Glasgow did around 18 and Springfield 10-12 million pounds last year they are who I deal with. This is all burley I know nothing about dark fire or air.

100 acres is big here. I don't know if there is anyone in the Mays Lick area over 50 acres.

Isn't all Kentucky tobacco burley?

Bright Raven":351t6337 said:
littletom":351t6337 said:

100 acres is big here. I don't know if there is anyone in the Mays Lick area over 50 acres.

i know one guy in fleming was planting around 300-400 acres of it.

ddd75":3snlmz58 said:
Bright Raven":3snlmz58 said:
littletom":3snlmz58 said:

i know one guy in fleming was planting around 300-400 acres of it.

Fleming has some nice farm land. Was that in the Ewing Area?

Bright Raven":au63c5b6 said:
littletom":au63c5b6 said:

In central Ky and east ky all I know of is burley. In western ky they have burley, dark fire, and dark air. Dark requires more work and sells a bit higher. It is used for smokeless products. Where I am selling strictly for smoking.