A Gill Red Angus Donor Cow.

Help Support CattleToday:

BRG

Reaction score
Here is one of our Donor cows. She is a Barney daughter. Here is her registration # 669901

I wish I had 1000 just like her. The calf beside her is her Vaquero son at 3 weeks old.

902_3.JPG

beautiful pair! Cow appears to have a very good hindquarter
and plenty of heartgirth. What's the frame score?

I would say right at a 6, never been measured though. She isn't a big cow though.

I wish I did, it is real good, that calf would not let me get one, all he wanted to do was eat. You can be sure it is good, I wouldn't flush her if it wasn't. I am trying to get better udders all the time.

If I had 1,000 like her, I'd sell you every one, BRG. ;-)

mtnman

From what I can see so far she looks to have plenty of capacity. If I could change her I would smooth out her top some, lower her tail head and add a touch of length. She looks to be a good cow with a pretty front end. Any idea what she weighs?

Probably 1400 to 1500, but she was dry for a whole year getting flushed

Lots of times fat flush cows have higher tail heads, usually due to body condition. Looks like a power cow BRG.

Being a Barney daughter I will ask about depth of heel on the cow.

Brian, Not knocking this girl at all, but you had a nice group of heifers on the right side of the road coming in that looked almost as good as her.

Did they calve this spring? It was Oct last year when I was up there and they looked awesome!

We are calving them right now. We are probably half done with them. You might also be talking about the girls we put in the Santa Sale. They should be all done by now. Either way, they look good. Maybe the best overall set of heifers yet for us.

We flushed this girl 5 times and she gave us around 100 eggs. We got calves last fall and this spring, will get some this fall, and the rest will get put in next week. We are taking her back up this summer and will try to get a bunch more eggs. She will get flushed to our Red Dawg bull s few times. Should be a great cross.

Will also flush her to our Accerlerator bull at least once. Haven't decided who else yet.

Frame 6?

Out of production for a year?

Muscular?

Deep?

She weighs over 1500, if she weighs a pound.
Some of my 4.5 framers weigh over 1400.

Either she is smaller than you think, or she weighs more than you think. My guess, having been around a few Barney's is that she is just as tall as you say, but I bet she weighs more.

mtnman

sure is possible, I am not the best weight guesser in the world. But I can come within 10lbs of a chicken :lol:

Why the fuss about what she weighs when she is a moderate sized cow. You can see that in her leg bones. She isn't a large framed cow by no stretch.

Does anyone down there use much Prospector? Have they ever?

Is Rambo 502 semen attainable in the USA?

SEC,

Not many people have used Sam. I know Piepers have quite a bit and I think you can get semen through them on him.

Rambo 502 is not available. I only know of a couple people who have some and they are not selling. Last I heard brought $500 a straw. Can you get it up there?

But, I am putting 6 - Rambo 502 embryos in this spring though. Pretty excited about that. I know a guy who owns a full sister to him too.

I am glad you appreciate this cow. I think she is an ideal cow for most areas in the US and Canada. Not big, not small, perfect shape, good udder, plenty of length, lots of eye appeal, and good bone, while having the right amount of performance and milk. You really have to see her in person to appreciate how good she really is.

She might be moderate sized, but she isn't moderate weight.

She is simply too big to work for me.

That is what the fuss is about.

When I see a 1200 pound donor cow, then I'll be impressed.

She's nice for most folks, and that is OK.

I just happen to think that the average guy in the US owns about 20 cows, and isn't particularly adept at feeding them to meet nutrient requirements.

Thus, the average guy needs them smaller, not bigger.

mtnman

MTMN,

This cow has never seen any pampering at all, the only grain she has ever received is when she was weaned, unless the donor facility gave her some. She needs no additional feed what-so-ever!!! Like I said before, we do not feed our cows any hay or grain unless their is to much snow cover, then they will get some hay.

Latest posts