A Chance to buy more Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Reaction score
Like I need more. :shock: The guy was using my corral at my leased pasture to Winter his cows. I told him under no circumstances were they to leave the corral. Now their out grazing in my pasture. I'm not happy. :mad: Anyway, he now wants to just sell them to me. There are four 2nd calf Angus and Black Baldie cows and 3 March black calves. Cows are smallish about 1100 pounds. What are they worth?
Keep in mind, cows, are in a depressed market here in MN. The Bovine TB thing has got cows down to slaughter price only.

I been sellin off mine the last couple weeks, been gettin $525 - $710 for angus mix 3yr olds bred 1st to 2nd period.Be gettin my a$$ kicked on one hand, but with tha way tha hay situation be lookin in these parts, maybe I be doin OK. When ya cant afford ta feed em, I guess ya gotta take what ya get.

Grabbed my AG paper and found around the weight you posted the cows are going between 48.75 $cwt to 56.25 $cwt. Pairs are $1000.00
Hope this helps give you an idea of what they are worth. If you decide you don't want them tell the guy to come get them and ship them.

Nothing wrong with 1100lb cow if she throws good calves.

You got the feed?

Sounds to me like you can get a good discount considering the time and labour and trucking the other guy will be responsible for if you want them out. You are in the drivers seat, and I wouldn't feel pressured if they are not what you want.

Not a great time for cattle generally but depression does spell oppurtunity if you are in a position to take advantage.

mnmt ~ don't pay $1,000 for the pairs.

Nothing wrong with 1100 lbs ~ lot to be said for a moderate/smaller cow that you can see throws and cares for a calf. But they are not worth $1,000. We looked at PB hereford cows, bred to a PB Herf bull (not registered) for $900. When push came to shove, the farmer decided to keep because he couldn't stand to see them go at that price ~ and that was market price.

Summer is slow in coming here ~ you know this. Has been cool and the grass does not want to grow. Look for pairs in the paper, then under cut accordingly. As ALX said, you are in the drivers seat.

This is what I did. [And thanks for the good advice, just what I was hoping for] Saw the cattle laying on a hillside, took a walk out for a look see. Totally expected them to take off to the other side of the pasture. :shock: Walked right up and kicked a cow in the butt. REALLY :nod: Pretty nice cattle, young cows and I like disposition. 8) 4 black cows 2- 3 month old steers and a 2 month old heifer. I asked the owner and was curious about the history. He bought them last Fall from a Lady that couldn't keep them anymore and wanted a good home :cry2: blah blah. I said 2700 was the best I could do, but he might do better taking them to auction. He jumped on it. Well :? I said give me till Monday morning.

mnmtranching":2qd8vhgi said:
I said 2700 was the best I could do, but he might do better taking them to auction. He jumped on it. Well :? I said give me till Monday morning.

Congratulations, sounds like you made a pretty good deal to me. If I could do that here, it would be like getting the calves for free.

mnmtranching":1b4bjsv8 said:
This is what I did. [And thanks for the good advice, just what I was hoping for] Saw the cattle laying on a hillside, took a walk out for a look see. Totally expected them to take off to the other side of the pasture. :shock: Walked right up and kicked a cow in the butt. REALLY :nod: Pretty nice cattle, young cows and I like disposition. 8) 4 black cows 2- 3 month old steers and a 2 month old heifer. I asked the owner and was curious about the history. He bought them last Fall from a Lady that couldn't keep them anymore and wanted a good home :cry2: blah blah. I said 2700 was the best I could do, but he might do better taking them to auction. He jumped on it. Well :? I said give me till Monday morning.

You offered him a price, he accepted. I would suggest you write the check now as the fair thing to do and be done with it, Trying to chew him down some more on Monday does not seem right. $750 for a pair (3,000 total) seems fair, you are getting them for 2700, they seem to have a good disposition and be in good health. You know where they come from...what's to think about? He may change HIS mind! Sometimes when you start thinking you are in the driver's seat you can get surprised!

Personally I'd take the calves ot the sale barn, (or sell them to Angie!) take the cows to the processor and stick them in the freezer before I accepted 675 for a good healthy pair where I know the history. jmho.

mnmtranching":3vzfhf2y said:
I said 2700 was the best I could do, but he might do better taking them to auction. He jumped on it. Well :? I said give me till Monday morning.

Well- you made a good deal- as that is barely cull market price around here for just the cows- as even old cows are going up close to $60cwt....I sold a 1265 lb open 12 year old cow a couple weeks ago for $57.25--$720+...

Black or black baldy pairs sold last week in Miles for $1200-1350...

http://www.milescitylivestock.com/2008M ... 13.08.html

How long do you have to fool with the TB problems? Its been over 50 years since I dealt with TB- but I remember periodically having to give them all a test type shot-and then checking for reactors and then bleeding any reactors if there were any- and getting rid of any that were positive...But it seemed like after doing that once or twice- the area was declared TB free....

Oldtimer, We have a weird market here in MN. From all the cows I've watched sell the last few months. It takes a real good cow to go back to the country. Calving in season cows are weighed up and sold for kill. Feed shortage and high prices, dry Summers and most of all the Bovine TB has resulted in no market for breeding stock. No out of state buyers and no interest instate. There are some real cheap good cows going for slaughter. And buyers know it. Most slaughter cows are .45-.48. Takes a hard feed cow to make 50.

Hey! Good for you!

I wouldn't mind buying a few more at the prices we have going here, but I cannot buy for the very same reasons that others cannot sell ~ feed is expensive, hay is OUTRAGEOUS and grass is slow to grow. The hay we bought last week came out of Canada, but supplier said next week he will start getting this years 1st crop from the Dakotas. We'll see.

Angie, my hay supplier is out and has no idea where to get more hay until the new crop. Never heard of such a thing. :shock: I'm gonna have to move cattle to pasture, got 10 days supply of hay left.
Angie, can I tell the Boss You gave me support on buying these cows? in other words will you share the blame? or ummmm take the blame. :help: :cowboy:

SRBeef, The price I offered is final. Waiting till Monday is to give him a chance to decide to go the auction route. I advised him, he might do better at auction. I don't beat anybody.

Except, Joe you need some cash sometime :nod: I can help you pawn your guns. :welcome:

Except, Joe you need some cash sometime I can help you pawn your guns.

:lol2: :lol2: Would you be interested in a sawed-off .22 rifle? Its worth $1500 if someone would give it to me and don't ask why a sober person would saw off a perfectly good rifle cause they don't. ;-) :lol: (I can post a pic if you are interested)

Not a bad trade on those cows. But with your market problems, 4 dollar fuel, shrink, commission, time, not a bad deal for all concerned. I think he will take it.

MNMT- Sounds like a fair and just business transaction. Whether he accepts or not it seems reasonable offer for both parties. Good luck on how it turns out.

Jogeephus":38dlglv3 said:
Not a bad trade on those cows. But with your market problems, 4 dollar fuel, shrink, commission, time, not a bad deal for all concerned. I think he will take it.

Jogee, I am getting to think ole mnm might just of "forgot" to latch a gate and put this other poor fella in a situation where mnm could "help him out"!! :shock: :eek:

Just kiddin mnm, good business deals are when everyone is happy. :D

Lets hope for lots of grass and improved prices.

Your talking of the negative financial impact on the cattle industry in your State by the TB made me curious- so I did a little searching....Now I understand better why Montana has such stringent brand inspection/movement/import rules against foreign cattle- especially Mexican cattle and any rodeo stock.....
I think in some articles I've read its been shown that 90+% of the TB found at slaughter at US plants are in cattle that have been imported from Mexico...
Another case of this USDA putting globalist trading/traders ahead of the longterm herd health of US cattle and the longterm financial viability of the US cattleman/cattle industry...
:( :mad:

Jan 18, 2006 5:43 pm

Bovine TB Outbreak Threatens Cattle Exports
Bagley, Minn. (AP) ― Five herds of cattle infected with bovine tuberculosis in northwestern Minnesota all seem to have the same strain of the bacterial disease, state veterinary officials said.

The outbreak could lead to new federal restrictions on the sale of Minnesota cattle.

Cattle producers packed a meeting room in Bagley on Tuesday as officials discussed details of the state's first outbreak of bovine TB in 34 years.

"I think everyone in this room will be affected by this deal," Terry Boldingh, district veterinarian for the Minnesota Board of Animal Health, told those gathered.

That wasn't what producers wanted to hear. Jerry Handside, who owns a cow and calf operation near Lengby, said news that exports could be affected came as a surprise.

"There was no concern in November" when Handside sold his calves to be fed for slaughter, he said. "I think this year we are getting a little concerned about it. We'd like to see the state stay TB-free."

Tests on the fourth and fifth herds in question are not complete, said Linda Glaser, another Board of Animal Health official. But it appears to be the same strain as that afflicting the other three -- the same strain seen in cattle from Mexico and the U.S. Southwest, but not what's been seen in recent bovine TB outbreaks in Michigan or Manitoba.

Lee Boehland, a district veterinarian for the U.S. Department of Agriculture, said officials had been worried about Minnesota's population of roping steers, which are often imported from Mexican states and sometimes make a circuit of rodeos throughout the U.S. West.
http://wcco.com/topstories/bovine.tuber ... 54728.html

Latest posts