A bull gets another one

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I just got a phone call from a friend over on the coast. He called to tell me that Joe Parypa the auctioneer and part owner at Chehalis Livestock Market had just past away. Apparently he was mauled by a Holstein bull two weeks ago. He had been in a hospital in Seattle fighting for his life ever since. He lost that fight about an hour ago.
This one hits home. I got to know him personally when his son played youth football on a team I was coaching back in 1994. Over the years I bought and sold a lot of cattle over his auction block. He wasn't just the auctioneer. He was a friend to me and a lot of other people.

That's to bad, prayers for his family.

That's also why I don't raise Holstein bulls. They make bittin sows look like kittens.

Dairy bulls are dangerous buggers. Most bulls can have a moment if upset or in the wrong situation but dairy bulls don't seem to need a reason. A young teenage girl was killed not far from me last year, was really sad. I wonder how many lives have been saved by A.I. over the years. I don't think anything can make you lose your confidence around cattle like it does when a bull goes you.

Sorry to hear that. Had sone close calls myself. Last one made us change our handling proceedures when herding and penning bulls.

Sorry to hear that. Prayers for the family. I have known several people to be hurt pretty bad with cattle. A friend was worked over pretty good by one of their Holstein bulls. AI has no doubt prevented some serious injury and death for quite a few dairies. Any bull can be dangerous, but those dairy bulls are completely different animals. About all of the beef breed Bulls that we have had have been fairly good to work with and I probably let my guard down to much, events like that one always make me a little more cautious.

I was in a real bad situation with one about ten years ago. God was with me that day no doubt. One can never be to safe.

Dairy bulls can be bad , as can any bull, but usually worse. One thing that I have seen over the years, dairy bulls are often penned up more than not, only put with the cows at certain cleanup times in many herds. They are constantly "teased" by the smells of the cows. Whereas, beef bulls are put out with the cows. They get plenty of exercise, they are not kept next to the cows walking by them everyday. Then when most pull the bulls, they are in a bull "field or lot"; they are in an all bull situation, and they get a total break. Plus, dairy bulls are often not treated with respect and made to recognize that the human is the boss, until they are bigger and know they can be boss. That's when the human gets mean to them, and they just see it as aggression.
Had one on a dairy that I didn't trust for a second. Kept telling the farmer that he needed to ship him before someone got hurt. I was milking there at the time. Would never get on the same side of the bunk feeder with him as he scared me and I was alot younger and could move alot faster. About 3 weeks later, the bull got him cornered and he got hurt but recovered. The bull got shipped, but it never needed to get that far.
I got hurt by a cow that had calved and I didn't see the calf in the pen and she just turned on me and tried to put me through the board fence. Carried some serious bruises for weeks but was spared any serious problems except a few cracked ribs. I worry more about the cows because I tend to not be quite as cautious with them; too trusting sometimes. I am always pretty careful around the bulls. A little fear is a good thing I think.
I am sorry about your friend Dave. Condolences to the family.

farmerjan said:
Dairy bulls can be bad , as can any bull, but usually worse. One thing that I have seen over the years, dairy bulls are often penned up more than not, only put with the cows at certain cleanup times in many herds. They are constantly "teased" by the smells of the cows. Whereas, beef bulls are put out with the cows. They get plenty of exercise, they are not kept next to the cows walking by them everyday. Then when most pull the bulls, they are in a bull "field or lot"; they are in an all bull situation, and they get a total break. Plus, dairy bulls are often not treated with respect and made to recognize that the human is the boss, until they are bigger and know they can be boss. That's when the human gets mean to them, and they just see it as aggression.
Had one on a dairy that I didn't trust for a second. Kept telling the farmer that he needed to ship him before someone got hurt. I was milking there at the time. Would never get on the same side of the bunk feeder with him as he scared me and I was alot younger and could move alot faster. About 3 weeks later, the bull got him cornered and he got hurt but recovered. The bull got shipped, but it never needed to get that far.
I got hurt by a cow that had calved and I didn't see the calf in the pen and she just turned on me and tried to put me through the board fence. Carried some serious bruises for weeks but was spared any serious problems except a few cracked ribs. I worry more about the cows because I tend to not be quite as cautious with them; too trusting sometimes. I am always pretty careful around the bulls. A little fear is a good thing I think.
One of my older brothers got roughed up by an in heat heifer he had some good bruises after that (and shattered his phone)

Condolences Dave.
Found the yard's website...exceptional outfit and facilities. Joe's going to be sorely missed by a lot of people.

Dave said:
I just got a phone call from a friend over on the coast. He called to tell me that Joe Parypa the auctioneer and part owner at Chehalis Livestock Market had just past away. Apparently he was mauled by a Holstein bull two weeks ago. He had been in a hospital in Seattle fighting for his life ever since. He lost that fight about an hour ago.
This one hits home. I got to know him personally when his son played youth football on a team I was coaching back in 1994. Over the years I bought and sold a lot of cattle over his auction block. He wasn't just the auctioneer. He was a friend to me and a lot of other people.

That's so sad Joe was a top-notch person! I saw him chew on a couple people that had brought emaciated animals into the sale! Another one that will be tough to replace.

R.I.P. Joe :tiphat:

farmerjan said:
I'm starting to wonder about this jersey calf ""was bottle calf"" that a friend has got here Raising..I steered him, Back in the fall..but from all that handling he has no fear of man in him..probably around 350pnds now. and gets aggressive when you grain him..too much handling maybe.. But I've heard in the Bulls, that it comes from the selection for heavy milking in the cows...raging hormones..

The problem with bottle calves is that they are "SO CUTE" when they come up and butt you to get their bottle. Then when they get bigger, and keep doing it people get mad and say that they shouldn't be doing it. A calf's natural instinct is to butt the udder for milk, and to butt heads with other calves in play. They establish their place and dominance. When someone who doesn't get the "dominance" thing, raises a calf up to be too "friendly" they don't know any better and they get too aggressive. To them it is still part of the "game". I tell people all the time. DO NOT let the calf get away with head butting or pushing. And NEVER should a person get into a shoving match against a calf's or cow's head. You can't win . I have found that a good smack on the nose ( a tender spot) and a very loud NO everytime they shove, will break them IF you are consistent. But most people won't be consistent and they get too pushy. It's not the animals fault, it is the person raising it who is at fault. Unfortunately, someone usually gets hurt and the animal is blamed.
I don't pet any cow/bull/calf/ from the front. Always from the side of their neck/head. I scratch ears of the bulls, FROM THE SIDE of their neck. Never directly in front. You have to understand their space, and what will set them off. Plus, for us women, you have to be very careful during your "time of the month". The bulls can smell the difference in your body odor, and have had them get more aggressive then. I would not go around a bull when I had my period.

Latest posts