A bull can NEVER be trusted.

Help Support CattleToday:

C HOLLAND

Reaction score
I had a scare Tuesday afternoon when the vet came over to look at my bull to see what was causing him to drag his right rear hoof. (the vet told me I was seeing things)

I was trying to get him out of the holding area he has been in for about 6 weeks and moved to the working pen to let the vet look at him or catch him in the chute if needed.

Well I did my normal routine of putting him a little feed out to keep him out of the way until I can open the gates and get him in the working area, after I had him busy eating and the gates all lined up I took some feed to the working corral and walked by him (15ft away) and he was still head down and eating.

Well the next thing I know he's is blowing snot down the back of my neck and I was climbing the panels as he was kicking up dirt and snorting at me like a wild nut.

Well the good news is he will be going to the sale barn in a few weeks and the vet thinks he may be just fine, well he was fine that day anyway.

I am glad of the wakeup call too because my wife will go into the pen where he is to move the feed trough at times even though I tell her to let him do without.

Remember a COW can never be trusted, especially a BULL, no matter how gentle he has been in the past.

You need to be careful around bulls, I guess sometimes I don't watch them close enough when I'm in with them. I had my worst experience with a cow that was'nt nursing her calf and we tried to help them , she pushed me thru a 6 wire high tensile fence , the next when she went in the shed to eat , we took the calf out of the pasture and bottle fed it and she went to New Holland to the sale. This was the fourth calf she had while I had her and I always had problems with her but this was the worst. Don't just beware of bulls , cows can kill you too.

shorty":2j78nens said:
You need to be careful around bulls, I guess sometimes I don't watch them close enough when I'm in with them. I had my worst experience with a cow that was'nt nursing her calf and we tried to help them , she pushed me thru a 6 wire high tensile fence , the next when she went in the shed to eat , we took the calf out of the pasture and bottle fed it and she went to New Holland to the sale. This was the fourth calf she had while I had her and I always had problems with her but this was the worst. Don't just beware of bulls , cows can kill you too.

This begs the question, why do you still have the cow?

dun":3t0cy01x said:
shorty":3t0cy01x said:

If I'm reading his post right, the cow went to the sale barn.

C HOLLAND":1csaxc27 said:
I had a scare Tuesday afternoon when the vet came over to look at my bull to see what was causing him to drag his right rear hoof. (the vet told me I was seeing things)

I was trying to get him out of the holding area he has been in for about 6 weeks and moved to the working pen to let the vet look at him or catch him in the chute if needed.

Well I did my normal routine of putting him a little feed out to keep him out of the way until I can open the gates and get him in the working area, after I had him busy eating and the gates all lined up I took some feed to the working corral and walked by him (15ft away) and he was still head down and eating.

Well the next thing I know he's is blowing snot down the back of my neck and I was climbing the panels as he was kicking up dirt and snorting at me like a wild nut.

Well the good news is he will be going to the sale barn in a few weeks and the vet thinks he may be just fine, well he was fine that day anyway.

I am glad of the wakeup call too because my wife will go into the pen where he is to move the feed trough at times even though I tell her to let him do without.

Remember a COW can never be trusted, especially a BULL, no matter how gentle he has been in the past.

It's strange how they forget an injury when distracted with other things.Glad you are OK.I bet you have a lot of "what ifs" with your wife being in with him at times.

I think my Husband breathes a sigh of relief when he calls me at night (on the phone) and I answer.Never trust a bull or cow because even they have there "head up their buts" kind of days.

VanC":3cm6rt3t said:
dun":3cm6rt3t said:
shorty":3cm6rt3t said:

If I'm reading his post right, the cow went to the sale barn.

Yes, but why did he hang on to it for four calvings?

i learned a good leason with a bull. being a newbie i also watch cows and bulls all the time. i had a bull on the otherside of the gate with a cow in heat. i did not see her. i tried to let the bull in before he rip all of my fences down. as i opened the gate to let him in he charged me. i always carry a large pole. i ran back and hit he noise as i ran. he charged about 5 ft and stoped. lucky me. i got him into the gate but not without some serious heart pumping. never do i enter the pasture on foot with my cattle dog, exit plan and pole. it was my fault and he did not go beyond what i would expect. i was tired that day and learned a good leason with getting hurt.

always watch bulls.never turn your back on them.a bull in a pen can go off at anytime.esp when your trying to move him.he would be on the next trailer to the sale barn.

worked the big bulls yesterday. they get goofy real fast when all together in a pen. tear up more $&*t.

Some of the replies would indicate the bulls are ok in the pasture and just bad in the pen. A normally gentle bull can change dramaticaly when there is a cow in heat. I have seen several bulls go after people in the pasture. A good friend of mine did not out run his. I expect a cow to protect her calf. I expect a bull to protect his lady of choice for the day. That way I expect to live a little longer.
If you want a pet buy a dog.

Why didn't I get rid of her sooner? I guess I was just dumb, she was a nice cow and with a little help and a lot of aggravation to get the calf started she always raised a nice calf with no problem, but after she almost killed me it didn't take me long to decide to send her for hamburger , before that I gave here a second chance .

novatech":3gqxao7v said:
If you want a pet buy a dog.

My bull is no pet and had never been treated as one, I have some pets though and they only weigh between 50 and 90 lbs and they bark. :roll: :roll:

I've had one make me jump a 6' fence in a single bound. When I got up, only my pride was hurt. My dad had always told me never to trust them, but you know how us kids were. Sometimes we don't listen. I figured out really quick that day what he was galking about.

My motto- never turn your back on any bull, never trust any
animal ( bovine or equine) they both can kill you in a heartbeat
:devil2: Carry some sort of defense ( if it is kill or be killed
guess which one wins? ) :?:

holly heifer":238ut7w2 said:
My motto- never turn your back on any bull, never trust any
animal ( bovine or equine) they both can kill you in a heartbeat
:devil2: Carry some sort of defense ( if it is kill or be killed
guess which one wins? ) :?:

I agree with you on bulls and stallions, but not so much with cows, steers, geldings and mares. While I do think some of the mentioned previous four can be dangerous due to temperment, I think many, especially mares and geldings are very safe to be around. Now this is not to be confused with the ablity of a 1500 lb animal killing you due to an accident, ie; horse spooks in the stall and crushes you on a wall. (just for you anti stall folks) feeding multiple horses in a pasture, one wheels to kick another and catches you in the head. I walk around and have my back to my cows all the time with no worries, the only time I really watch my cows is when they have a new calf on he ground, in the working pen, or when I'm trying to lead them somewhere they don't want to go and I'm using grain... I never let them crowd me. But then again, with my Herefords, I have a no tolerance policy, the first time they act aggressive for any reason I see as not justifed, they grow wheels, I don't put up with nuts or fence jumpers either.... moves them up the cull list very fast.

JMO,
Alan

MissouriExile":36qky8sl said:
msscamp":36qky8sl said:
Hippie Rancher":36qky8sl said:
Never trust any intact males. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Amen!

Geez Guys, I think they mean us too..............

Jon

Speak for yourself. Some of my parts are still functioning normally, some aren't. Example: my back and my brain aren't what they used to be. Therefore, I can be fully trusted. ;-)

Latest posts