A bull can NEVER be trusted.

Help Support CattleToday:

novatech":2ekmfidl said:
Some of the replies would indicate the bulls are ok in the pasture and just bad in the pen. A normally gentle bull can change dramaticaly when there is a cow in heat. I have seen several bulls go after people in the pasture. A good friend of mine did not out run his. I expect a cow to protect her calf. I expect a bull to protect his lady of choice for the day. That way I expect to live a little longer.
If you want a pet buy a dog.

I NEVER trust a bull no matter where he is. I agree with you, expect a cow to protect a calf and expect a bull to protect his cows. AND get a good cattle dog, we own two blue heelers. When we moved back to Iowa we had to live with my in laws until we found a place to buy. Their bull at the time was WAY too friendly and wouldn't respect your space. Long story half way short, I was feeding our horses and we had to go through a lot that was open to the pasture and the cows were coming up. No biggie, I fed the horses and turned around. Their bull was less than ten feet away and there was only a yard light pole between him and me. Luckily Lilly was sitting outside the pen. I yelled for her to heel and then when I went to walk past the bull he walked closer. That's when I told Lilly to "Get em". She chased the bull away and I was able to leave. He went down the road after my father in law was working in the lot and the bull pushed him down. Didn't hurt him just pushed him down. I always tell my wife that use the dogs if you get in trouble, that is what we have them for. That is what they are bred to do and that's what they want to do. They are our pets and members of the family, but I can replace a dog a lot easier.

i hit a deer with a silverado once. This is what a Bull vs a person looks like too. Watch the PBR finals and youll see why I never put my back to a bull or anything over twice my weight.

Hopefully we all learn from dumb mistakes. Sometimes mistakes are more than a lesson and can include severe consequences. I was stupid recently (no additional comments needed here) and was standing in the middle of one of my pastures with holding an empty feed bucket while talking with my visiting Pastor who came by to see my new baby donkey. Anyway one of my momma cows got tired of watching me with an empty bucket and she decided to provide me with some motivation. She rammed me from behind knocking me to the ground, injuring my arm, shoulder and pride.

My wife later said CULL the cow and I said in hind sight, it appears I need to be the one CULLED.

A couple of years ago I was leaning over the alley putting de-wormer on our bull. He is very easy going and has never tried to hurt anyone. A horsefly was biting him and he slung his head up and back to dislodge the fly. I happened to be leaning over him and BAM! Knocked me into next week. I fell down into the alley with him right under his feet. He just stood there and looked down at me. I lay stunned for a second or two and then I was able to roll out from under the side of the chute into the open pasture. He didn't mean to hurt me with his head slinging but he weighs 2000 pounds and I weigh 240......no match. Now I am VERY carefull about how close I get to him even when he is constrained in a chute or alley.

This has been discussed many times on here. I had an uncle killed by a bull. IMHO, bulls are most dangerous when separated from the herd or confined in a small space. They are dangerous in an open pasture also but usually not quite as bad.

C HOLLAND":1rtwisy4 said:
Well the next thing I know he's is blowing snot down the back of my neck and I was climbing the panels as he was kicking up dirt and snorting at me like a wild nut.

Well the good news is he will be going to the sale barn in a few weeks and the vet thinks he may be just fine, well he was fine that day anyway.

I'm not a professional cattleman. Question.

If you consider a bull to be a killer and you haul him to the sale, who gets him? Do you place a sign around his neck stating he is dangerous? Or is this just the game that's played - I sell you my problems and you sell me yours?

When you sell at an auction barn, it's buyer beware. People need to realize that a breeding animal is there for a REASON.

Maybe the person hauling the bull is hoping the next owner will be able to handle the bull easier than the original owner. ;-)

Well the good news is he will be going to the sale barn in a few weeks and the vet thinks he may be just fine, well he was fine that day anyway.

This is why you don't buy cattle at the sale barn.

yesterday i bought a 5 year old cow. great in the pasture. once she got in the pen to load he is crazier than any bull i have ever seen. charging, snoting, kicking dirt. he was rank and i thought twice about getting her. still took 30 minutes to load when it normally takes 5 minutes at the location. i can tell u i would never trust any animal in the pen after seeing that cow charge with intention to hurt. once i got her home in the pasture, well she was fine again. just moved on her way.

i am sure part of it is ear in her.

WAguy":z5afx1py said:
C HOLLAND":z5afx1py said:
Well the next thing I know he's is blowing snot down the back of my neck and I was climbing the panels as he was kicking up dirt and snorting at me like a wild nut.

If you consider a bull to be a killer and you haul him to the sale, who gets him? Do you place a sign around his neck stating he is dangerous? Or is this just the game that's played - I sell you my problems and you sell me yours?

The next time you buy a hamburger at McDonalds, let me know if it was from a KILLER bull or cow.

I have never had a problem with this bull and I have been in the pasture with him and he was never aggresive in any way.

We never know what will set them off, this post was mainly to remind people that 1200-2000 lb animals are not pets and you need to be careful around them at all times.

I think he wanted me out of his path to the feed I had put out, and he wants back in with his girls. Old men and bulls are like that sometimes. :lol: :lol:

WAguy":2d8v7dbg said:
C HOLLAND":2d8v7dbg said:

People I've known that have sold bulls because of aggressive behavior did tell the sale barn so that someone wouldn't buy them for breeding without knowing. However, most of the time when a bull goes to the sale barn they are sold for cull price and become burger.

ArrowHBrand":20h71ur6 said:
WAguy":20h71ur6 said:
C HOLLAND":20h71ur6 said:

People I've known that have sold bulls because of aggressive behavior did tell the sale barn so that someone wouldn't buy them for breeding without knowing. However, most of the time when a bull goes to the sale barn they are sold for cull price and become burger.

When a bull or cow for that matter comes in the ring all snorty and trying to kill the ringmen you get a pretty good idea that he/she isn;t all that pleasent to work with. Prices are accordingly determined by the buyer. Unless it's a special sale, 99% of the bulls that go through the average salebarn are bought for burger anyway.

Whether it be a cow or bull, if they are bad I tell them before they leave the trailer.