8N ford clutch

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
I am working on an 8N for a friend of mine that has sat for two years in the rain. Long story short is I got it running but the clutch is stuck wont release any ideas without splitting tractor?

Thanks JHH

you will most likely have to bust tractor in half.to free up the clutch.an when you do that check they flywheels teeth.an see how warn they are.scott

JHH, sometimes you can put the PTO in gear, make a PTO wrench that will slide on the PTO shaft and has a handle. This handle should be long enough to come into contact with the drawbar. Put this wrench on in a fashion so when you try to bump it over the handle is stopped by the draw bar. With the PTO engaged, hit the starter and see if it will break it loose.

flaboy+":jfoht0yh said:
JHH, sometimes you can put the PTO in gear, make a PTO wrench that will slide on the PTO shaft and has a handle. This handle should be long enough to come into contact with the drawbar. Put this wrench on in a fashion so when you try to bump it over the handle is stopped by the draw bar. With the PTO engaged, hit the starter and see if it will break it loose.

Thanks for the tip will try that. Another person told me to put tractor in high gear press on clutch and pull it backward. You think that might work? Or will that tear something up?

bigbull338":amg12st3 said:
you will most likely have to bust tractor in half.to free up the clutch.an when you do that check they flywheels teeth.an see how warn they are.scott

I hope your wrong but I know that you are probably going to be right. Thanks going to try some things first. JHH

JHH":258eqvts said:
flaboy+":258eqvts said:

Thanks for the tip will try that. Another person told me to put tractor in high gear press on clutch and pull it backward. You think that might work? Or will that tear something up?

Never heard of that but it might work if it don't tear up other stuff. As good as the old 8N's were they were not built as heavy duty as today's Ag tractors. If you have an old PTO shaft you can slide up on your PTO you can probably figure out a way to lock it down without actually having to build the jig I spoke of. DON'T use a pipe wrench unless you are ready to replace the PTO shaft. It is awful tempting to want to do though.

If ya go the pull route, be gentle. ;-)

Start out pulling it slowly in high with the clutch pedal depressed, and then stand on the brakes if it doesn't break loose on its own. Start gently.

Get it out in the open where you won't hit anything. Put it in gear. Push the clutch down and start the tractor. Drive around and hit the brakes hard while holding the clutch pedal in. If it's not stuck too tight, many times this will pop it loose. If the brakes aren't too good you can also butt it up against something (a good big tree works well) and let it dig a little with the clutch pushed down. If you have the Ford bumper deal on there you can use the front, otherwise you can put a blade or something on the three point and use the back and go in reverse. Always be ready to turn the key off quickly. Obviously, this is not the safest stunt in the world, so if you try it please be careful. Good Luck.

Put the bush hog on it (it does have an ORC right?).
Tie down the clutch.
Start it in 1st gear and hog the dickens out of the heaviest brush you can find.
Then make sure you tie the clutch down when you park it so it won't stick again DAMHIKT

rbell":gme500r2 said:
Put the bush hog on it (it does have an ORC right?).
Tie down the clutch.
Start it in 1st gear and hog the dickens out of the heaviest brush you can find.
Then make sure you tie the clutch down when you park it so it won't stick again DAMHIKT

I was thinking the same thing. Tried pulling it didnt work, tried driving around and hitting brake bush hog is next and then pull it apart IF it will come apart may be rusted to bad to get shaft out of clutch. JAY

Did try the pto thing didnt work bent my homemade wrench but didnt hurt anything I dont think.

flaboy+":1pl47930 said:
Wonder if he ever got it freed up?

Yea I finally got it after I hooked up 7ft bush hog. Thanks for the help everyone. It was kind of hard to get the pto in gear but got everthing working except the lights. That is the next little rainy day project.

Thanks again Jay H.

I welded a piece of flat bar with an S hook on the end of it. When I am storing tractors for a while I engauge the cluth hook up the S hook no problems. It just takes once of having to split the case.

Latest posts