8 year old too old ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Central Fl Cracker

Reaction score
Being new in the catle biz me and Ricker were talking to some old cow pokes and they said to get rid of our old 8 year old Bull (Black Angus). Our 13 cows are already bred ( we think ) and will calve in the Spring. We would have thought she could service them this coming late summer with no problems but we are not sure with his age. We run small cattle weighing about 900 lbs(I am guessing) and the Bull is also a small frame bull( 1000 lbs). So would do you think? I would hate to feed the Bull during the winter and Spring and she might not be up for her duties come late summer. :oops: We are getting different opines from some older mentors.
cowpics3013gf4.jpg

Central Fl Cracker":z2x5pkh9 said:
Being new in the catle biz me and Ricker were talking to some old cow pokes and they said to get rid of our old 8 year old Bull (Black Angus). Our 13 cows are already bred ( we think ) and will calve in the Spring. We would have thought she could service them this coming late summer with no problems but we are not sure with her age. We run small cattle weighing about 900 lbs and the Bull is also a small frame bull. So would do you think? I would hate to feed the Bull during the winter and Spring and she might not be up for her duties come late summer. :oops: We are getting different opines from some older mentors.
Dang Ya'll are running some light weight Cattle. I'd can that Bull, and get me a good 18-24 month old bull, that I know's gonna do his job.8 years old , would have been long gone from here.Cracker, Bulls are Males not "Hers" :lol:

dont give up on the small cows (and bulls). look at your weaning percentage before you move toward something larger and more demanding of resources.

weaning percentage = (adj calf weaning wt)/(cow wt @ weaning)

this is one big factor in deciding how efficient your cows are. lots of small cows (w/ older genetics) wean 55-60% of their weight while on average, larger cows (usually newer genetics) wean considerably less than 50%.

Central Fl Cracker":1xl4asy6 said:
Crowder
Since my kids( Twins ) were born in Nashville so I am a fellow Tn. guy I will forgive you. All kiddig aside don't hold back.
You just skeered me a little calling that Bull "HER"... Where's Ricker? Hiding in the woodpile somewhere?

Crowderfarms":1n33ibim said:
Central Fl Cracker":1n33ibim said:
Crowder
Since my kids( Twins ) were born in Nashville so I am a fellow Tn. guy I will forgive you. All kiddig aside don't hold back.
You just skeered me a little calling that Bull "HER"... Where's Ricker? Hiding in the woodpile somewhere?

The last time I saw Ricker he was hiding behind a hay bale with a goat. :p I corrected the "her part". Just how big a boy are ya?

No, he is not to old. If he is gettin it done, and producing a profitable calf crop then keep him around another year. Heck 1,000 lbs isn't going to eat you out of house and home. Or you could keep one of his son's and raise your own for next year...save a little replacement money.

1848":7dmzld7p said:
No, he is not to old. If he is gettin it done, and producing a profitable calf crop then keep him around another year. Heck 1,000 lbs isn't going to eat you out of house and home. Or you could keep one of his son's and raise your own for next year...save a little replacement money.

It cost about $ 70 per head to keep them during the Winter.

Central Fl Cracker":1lhtpm2c said:
1848":1lhtpm2c said:

That's not too shabby. He'll bring more in the spring anyway...and probably at least give you the seventy dollars back in the spring when the market is back up (of course you may not have as much flucuation in Fl. though :) ) Take the time to shop before you trade him in if you are still undecided and he's done a good job to this point.

1848":2nmpu92a said:
Central Fl Cracker":2nmpu92a said:
1848":2nmpu92a said:

That's not too shabby. He'll bring more in the spring anyway...and probably at least give you the seventy dollars back in the spring when the market is back up (of course you may not have as much flucuation in Fl. though :) ) Take the time to shop before you trade him in if you are still undecided and he's done a good job to this point.

I never thought about him bringing more in the Spring with Spring surely should offset of giving him hay during the Winter.

Central Fl Cracker":2xr4ekx7 said:
Being new in the catle biz me and Ricker were talking to some old cow pokes and they said to get rid of our old 8 year old Bull (Black Angus). Our 13 cows are already bred ( we think ) and will calve in the Spring. We would have thought she could service them this coming late summer with no problems but we are not sure with his age. We run small cattle weighing about 900 lbs(I am guessing) and the Bull is also a small frame bull( 1000 lbs). So would do you think? I would hate to feed the Bull during the winter and Spring and she might not be up for her duties come late summer. :oops: We are getting different opines from some older mentors.
cowpics3013gf4.jpg

If your not retaining heifers why sell him cause all your going to get is hamburger prices. The market is down right now I would use him till the market is more favorable.

As long as he still has a full magazine. Some of the old fellas seem to start shooting more blanks then live ammo.
just my two bits worth...Dmc

Since you only have 13 cows, an older bull that shoots a lower quality sperm is stilling going to easily get the job done. Keep your bull and the money you would spend on a new one and invest it in another heifer or some improvements.

a BSE isnt asking too much when trying to make a decision like this.

Central Fl Cracker":w4uan5qi said:
cowpics3013gf4.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :cboy: Good one!! Way to start off the jokes for the weekend!

Looks to me like he is holding up pretty well, Longevity for a cow calf man is one of the most important economic traits, (in spite of what the CAB people say,) I would do a fertility test before you turn him out next spring. If he is not shooting blanks and can still get around I would keep him as long as you aren't breeding daughters back to him.

Latest posts