8 year old too old ?

Help Support CattleToday:

la4angus":qaqv7hzn said:
S.R.R.":qaqv7hzn said:
This statement I strongly disagree with!! I know of no one who has a herd of 800-900lb cows and puts 800 or 900lb bulls on them. That is just absurd!!
S. R. R. do you really think that you are past the learning stage. That you are all right and everyone else is all wrong.

Not by a long...... shot!! ;-)

Please tell me about all the cattlemen you know that use bulls the same size as their cows and why? I am willing to learn.

I am not saying that I know of any, but there is much that goes on, on Florida cattle outfits that is different from other places in the country. I do know odf some herds in Texas that has 1000 to 1200 ln lbs that are using 1100 to 1300 lb mixed breed bulls with unknown genetics. The cows and bulls could be 4 to 5 way crosses. There is actually more of this type of herds than a person can imagine.

Would be interested if the original poster would tell us how his calves have did out of this bull in the past? What size cows was he used on and how big were his calves at weaning? How did they sell?

Also another factor that would be a deciding one would be is he wanting to keep some small to moderate framed replacements out of his herd? If this was the case he might not want a Larger framed bull as S.R.R. mentions.

Lots of unanswered questions here or I missed them at first of the thread.

Ps. he seems larger than 1,000 lbs to me but I am no weight guessing expert. I never look as fat in the mirror as what the scales tells me I am :lol:

la4angus":rsbehfuf said:
I do know odf some herds in Texas that has 1000 to 1200 ln lbs that are using 1100 to 1300 lb mixed breed bulls with unknown genetics. The cows and bulls could be 4 to 5 way crosses. There is actually more of this type of herds than a person can imagine.

You are right about this kind of thing happening a lot more then one may think but........ we can all agree it is not the kind of management practices we would promote. Using bulls that are a 4-5 way cross almost bothers me more then using bulls that are the same size as your cows. aren't 4-5 way cross bulls just mongrels? I believe that the best you can do is put first cross bulls on F1 cows but even then you will lose most of the uniformity in your calf crop.

" As far as putting a 900 lb bull on an 800 lb cow? Better then a 2000 lb bull on an 800 lb cow...with the same result...a 600 lb calf at weaning."

I don't know how much you would have to abuse and deprive an angus bull with good genetics to have him weigh only 900-1000 lbs. at 8 yrs. I have started breeding bulls younger than they should be and fed grass and hay and they have all exceeded that weight greatly at 2 yrs. JMO

Just like I said, it's based on nutrition, workload and genetics.

Cowdirt":k3g3j4b3 said:
1848 said: "As far as putting a 900 lb bull on an 800 lb cow? Better then a 2000 lb bull on an 800 lb cow...with the same result...a 600 lb calf at weaning."

I don't know how much you would have to abuse and deprive an angus bull with good genetics to have him weigh only 900-1000 lbs. at 8 yrs. I have started breeding bulls younger than they should be and fed grass and hay and they have all exceeded that weight greatly at 2 yrs. JMO

:nod: :nod:

S.R.R.":18wpjhg9 said:
Cowdirt":18wpjhg9 said:
1848 said: "As far as putting a 900 lb bull on an 800 lb cow? Better then a 2000 lb bull on an 800 lb cow...with the same result...a 600 lb calf at weaning."

:nod: :nod:

Which of course has nothing to do with size on cows.... :roll:

1848":fxh99kl5 said:

I might have missed this. I'm wondering if this bull has spent his entire life on your place. Was his incredible weight gain achieved under your watch or did you go shopping for an animal with his particulars specs? ;-)

Cowdirt":384i02zf said:
1848":384i02zf said:

I might have missed this. I'm wondering if this bull has spent his entire life on your place. Was his incredible weight gain achieved under your watch or did you go shopping for an animal with his particulars specs? ;-)

You should read all my posts before you make assumptions

psssst.......I am the antagonist!

We have small framed cows so we thought putting a 1800 lb bull on them would not be wise. The bull has been with the cows all year long and we do not know what calves the bull is going to throw at us yet.

You should read all my posts before you make assumptions

psssst.......I am the antagonist![/quote]

Guess I " jumped to a collision", sorry bout that. :)

Central Fl Cracker":29lpnt5s said:
We have small framed cows so we thought putting a 1800 lb bull on them would not be wise. The bull has been with the cows all year long and we do not know what calves the bull is going to throw at us yet.

Small framed Black Angus?? :? Thought they were a thing of the past!! ;-) Just kidding ya, what wt. size are they? I myself am a fan of a more average sized cow.

S.R.R
I am sure of their weght but here is some pix.

cows010ur3.jpg

Nice cows. Seeing the bull with them gives me a thought. If they are on their second, third, ect. calf you could consider putting a bit larger framed bull on them next time and as dun pointed out on another post your resulting hefiers with have a bit more frame on them so may be good keepers. If not they will weigh more come sale day! Remember the birth wt. of the bull and the calves he has thrown is what helps you stay clear of calving problems. A bigger bull with a good BW might be a consideration for next year.

Just my thoughts not trying to tell you what to do. Most of your cows look like they could handle a larger bull then the one you have. I know thoses Black Baldies can for sure. ;-)

Central Fl Cracker":20gb2xez said:

If you have never seen any calves out of him Are you saying you just bought this 8 year old Bull? I was under impression you have had him for years. I must be missing something here.

If you just bought him why would you be wanting to sell him? If you did not just buy him why do you not know what kind of calves he is going to throw?

aplusmnt
We just bought these 13 cows 3 or 4 months ago and the bull was also included so we have no idea what kind of calves she is going to throw at us yet. The cows are bred by this bull but when it is time rebreed in the summer we were concened about the age of the bull.

Central Fl Cracker":2mzdovk3 said:
aplusmnt
We just bought these 13 cows 3 or 4 months ago and the bull was also included so we have no idea what kind of calves she is going to throw at us yet. The cows are bred by this bull but when it is time rebreed in the summer we were concened about the age of the bull.

Sorry if I missed that! Now I understand the situation!

Latest posts