$7000 to fix Duramax?

Help Support CattleToday:

I know that the cheapest way to fix something is if you can do it yourself. I needed 2 batteries for my 07 Dodge, they caused the check engine light to come on, so, I went to town to get the new batteries, pulled into the dealership, new batteries was going to be 125 a piece, found out they had a 40 dollar core charge on the old batteries, I was pressed for time a little so I figured it would be faster to just let them change the batteries, I figured maybe around 300.00 to 350.00 since I was at the dealership and they said they could get right on it. I waited 3 hours. They brought my truck around to me, along with a 462.00 bill, that was with the 80 dollars deducted, I almost fell out. The excuse was that they had to hook up that diagnostic computer thing to check to make sure that the batteries caused the light to come on. The batteries was the cause. It cleared. So, I asked them, your charging me 462.00 to change 2 batteries, but, I should have been talking to the wall. And I was already running late, paid it and left.
Jasper

They sure got you. Thats why I refer to the dealer as the stealership. New battrey's for my Dodge diesel at Auto Zone installed within thirty minutes $80. each + tax.

Yep, they got me, and that will be the last time they get me to. I usually do all that myself. But, I didn't that day, thought it would save time, and they saw me coming.

I have been driving Cummins diesel Dodge pickups for many miles since 2002. Several have over 200,000 miles on them. Company currently owns five of them of varying ages with Cummins diesels. We have NEVER replaced an injector on any of them. Only engine-related problem I've ever had with them is the 2002 had an injector pump replaced under warranty because of a silly $35. electric lift pump could not keep up on the highway in cold weather. That issue is long since fixed on later models.

A diesel is the best thing going for pulling on the highway. A lot of folks buy them for going grocery shopping, never really work them, never really get up to temperature and then wonder why they have problems. Diesels are great in a diesel application. Gas makes sense in a gas engine application. There are reasons they sell both. If you need a diesel pickup, I think the best diesel engine out there in a pickup is Cummins. jmho.

Jim

I agree with you,
I have a 3/4 ton gas burner to, with a 360 V8, it is a 99 model, 172000 miles. I ain't afraid to drive it anywhere. Except the a/c don't work good in it. Use it to go get lumber, whatever. The diesel, when you have to pull something heavy, forget the gas burner.
The diesel gets better mileage than the gas burner for sure, empty or loaded. Empty, the diesel will way outdo the gas burner in mileage. But, like you said, you are not really working the diesel. I like the cummins too. I am more of a Dodge person in general.
It's someones choice for sure. They both have their applications, gas or diesel.
One that is running, gets the job done, with little repairs, good truck.

SRBeef":19viq8uf said:
I have been driving Cummins diesel Dodge pickups for many miles since 2002. Several have over 200,000 miles on them. Company currently owns five of them of varying ages with Cummins diesels. We have NEVER replaced an injector on any of them. Only engine-related problem I've ever had with them is the 2002 had an injector pump replaced under warranty because of a silly $35. electric lift pump could not keep up on the highway in cold weather. That issue is long since fixed on later models.

A diesel is the best thing going for pulling on the highway. A lot of folks buy them for going grocery shopping, never really work them, never really get up to temperature and then wonder why they have problems. Diesels are great in a diesel application. Gas makes sense in a gas engine application. There are reasons they sell both. If you need a diesel pickup, I think the best diesel engine out there in a pickup is Cummins. jmho.

Jim

You will. The new ones are having a little trouble.

I hate to admit it but they are very good engines. Wish they would have put them in a chevrolet.

Sounds pretty hugh to me. I put all 8 injectors in my 01 duramax for 1100.00 in parts, bought them off of e-bay. Labor was mine so no cost there, just about 12 hours of my time.

JHH":195i3s8z said:
SRBeef":195i3s8z said:

Jim
yeah i had a cummins and loved it...duramax is a good eng mechanicaly just high maintenance
You will. The new ones are having a little trouble.

I hate to admit it but they are very good engines. Wish they would have put them in a chevrolet.