$7000 to fix Duramax?

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbilly beef man

Reaction score
Just wondering from anyone of you that have a diesel pickup, does $7000 seem like robbery for a fuel pump and two injectors on a 05 duramax? It is my company truck that I drive, and the company did not question the bill, but I think they got taken. My personal trucks have always been gas, and the only diesel I have worked on is tractors, but we got a full rebuild on a JD 2350 for $3500. I am beginning to think that I am in the wrong buisness.

Doesn't sound out of line. I know injectors are quite expensive. Had a friend that told me what they cost apiece but I can't remember. Pretty sure it was over $1000 per. Diesels are not cheap when it comes to repairs.

yep thats bout right..hope they did em all cuz they will eventually..lines/seals/all that stuff..inj are close to 700-1k ea is true

I know the injectors are high but that sounds like highway robbery to me.

It would be interesting to get a GM mechanic to look it up in their rate book. Anyone?

Ya gotta be kidding!!

Another reason NOT to buy a diesel truck (also fuel costs) unless your "boss company" is paying for it. If you do...trade it off before warranty runs out... IMO the manufacturer is pricing those repair parts at probably 500 to 1000% over "actual value" (including mark-ups from wholesaler's inventory). And, NEVER buy a USED diesel truck...

No wonder the economy is going to hades in a handbasket and farmers/ranchers are in trouble...

JMO...

The 2003 series Duramax had severe issues with the injectors -- in fact, GMC/Chevy put an extended warranty on them by themselves but they would only replace them one at a time instead of the whole lot prior to expiration of the extended warranty...

all this is true...run arrow i gotta disagree...most of em are okay ..like anyhting ya gotta know what yer buyin..gas trucks will never work as hard for 300k...at almost twice the capacity and gas mileage towing. you obviously dont have a diesel...btw..the inj are warranty by gm far an add 100k i think...yes theyre pricy..had any inj dont on yer ford gasser yet..bend over

The injectors for my ford gas is $42 a piece
http://www.jegs.com/i/Venom/735/649-435/10002/-1

Duramax is $365 a piece
http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/stock ... ectors.htm

What gets me is that the truck in question only has 127,000 miles on it. I thought that injectors should last longer than that, but like I said most of my experence with disels is tractors and heavy equipment.

My gas ford gets 10 mpg pulling the same weight as the duramax, which gets 8 mpg, granted my old ford is not going as fast up hill though.

hillbilly beef man":3ptg49oz said:
My gas ford gets 10 mpg pulling the same weight as the duramax, which gets 8 mpg, granted my old ford is not going as fast up hill though.
It sounds like you've got some issues if you're only getting 8 mpg with a Duramax. I know guys pulling heavy loads (oil drilling equipment, farm equipment,etc.) and they are getting mid to upper teens on the highway.

Thats pretty expensive repair job.

At 365 /injector thats $730 for injectors and then the pump sounds like the expensive bit plus removal and fitting labour.

Now OK assume thats fine but I see something called a ¨core cost¨ added to the injector link when you buy them.
I also assume thats a charge you get back when you return the old ones?

So what happened to the old injectors and pump? They should have a return value which they may not have credited to you yet? The old stuff will most certainly be re-manufactured and re-sold.

2006 duramax = 6.7 mpg, 1999 powerstroke = 7.1 mpg, 1992 ford 7.3 = 8-9 mpg, 1985 ford 6.9 = 8-9 mpg. All of the trucks towed the same trailer and boat with combined weight of 21,000 lbs. All the trucks weighed within 2,000 lbs of one another, ran the fords at 2500 rpms, the duramax at 2000 rpms. I increased my towing speed 5 mph with each new truck, normally get about 300,000 miles before they gave up. Still have the 92 ford 420,000 miles later hope the duramax last that long.

kerley":u68qldjn said:
I know the parts are very pricey but the real killer is labor.
Tom
roughly about 18 hours for injector pump and inj... i got it figured done """here"" for a touch under 6000.00..... parts and labor,, and thats replacing all injectors

ALACOWMAN":3n45g1bf said:
kerley":3n45g1bf said:
I know the parts are very pricey but the real killer is labor.
Tom
roughly about 18 hours for injector pump and inj... i got it figured done """here"" for a touch under 6000.00..... parts and labor,, and thats replacing all injectors

Yea thats about right. But he said
hillbilly beef man":3n45g1bf said:
Just wondering from anyone of you that have a diesel pickup, does $7000 seem like robbery for a fuel pump and two injectors on a 05 duramax? It is my company truck that I drive, and the company did not question the bill, but I think they got taken. My personal trucks have always been gas, and the only diesel I have worked on is tractors, but we got a full rebuild on a JD 2350 for $3500. I am beginning to think that I am in the wrong buisness.

Why would you only put the two bad ones in? I would have strongly recommended that they put them all in. are you sure they only put in two? Remember the tech that put them in only got paid a fraction of that and he done all the work. :roll: :roll: They are really not paid well enough. Glad someone else is doing it and not me. The pump isnt bad to replace. Them injectors suck.

hillbilly beef man":2oxzezau said:

Duramax is $365 a piece

What gets me is that the truck in question only has 127,000 miles on it. I thought that injectors should last longer than that, but like I said most of my experence with disels is tractors and heavy equipment.

I thought there was a 200,000 thousand mile warranty on the injectors ??? I think someone needs to look it up.I know I have been putting them in for warranty time with that kind of mileage.

JHH":8w9qh6a0 said:
hillbilly beef man":8w9qh6a0 said:

Duramax is $365 a piece

I thought there was a 200,000 thousand mile warranty on the injectors ??? I think someone needs to look it up.I know I have been putting them in for warranty time with that kind of mileage.
the older one under the valve covers were, now they got to test a certain way to quailify if they ramp up or down

I had an '03 2500HD with about 165k miles on it and one day while sitting at the redlight noticed black smoke blowing past my passenger side window. I thought that someone's car next to me need a tuneup. Looked around and no one was there. I rotated the mirror down so I could look at the tailpipe and noticed the black smoke coming from it. Later that night, I searched online and found info about the bad GM injectors. The next day went by the local Chevy store and talked to them. They said that the "extended warrenty" would cover the injectors to 200k or 5 years. They ended up replacing all 8 injectors in my truck and didn't charge a dime.

I had the injectors replaced about a month ago on my Ford and the bill was $5,300.00. I would suggest replaceing all of them at once because they only replaced four of mine the first time and a day later I was in the shop again replacing the other four. It would've been less expensive (labor) to replace them all at the same time. The dealer told me that the injectors have a 40,000 mile warranty on them.

That is what really turns me off about diesel trucks. That diesel better make me money in a way that a gas can't because every time some thing goes wrong you might as well leave the truck at the dealer with a blank check and tell them to call you when its ready. I don't buy into the longevity factor to justify owning a diesel. When you add up all the extra $$ to own and operate on.... divide the number of miles into it... even though it may be more miles... the cost per mile to own and operate is still higher. You have to be doing some thing with the diesel that a gas just will not do to be able to justify it from a purely cost perspective.

theyre generally just heavier trucks...but a 1 ton is a 1 ton....altho the dzl will tow much more wieght much cheaper..mileage is better and it makes more power so it isnt workin as hard..hence its easier on the truck

Latest posts