7.3 Diesel Non-Turbo

Help Support CattleToday:

Wilson_Cattle_Company

Reaction score
Manchester, Oklahoma, In a Saddle, ridin' rodeos,
Does anyone know anything about the early 7.3 Diesels?
My 89 f-350 dually locked up on me last Friday. Driving along and started making slapping noise like piston slap. shut off QUICK!! coasted down hill of highway and check everything out! Had oil, water, EVERYTHING!! gol durn!! :devil2:

Tried to start all it did was "CLANK!!" Like the starter was trying to go but couldn't. Engine won't turn over.

New starter (350.00) back in june. can't be that.

What do you thinks wrong. I don't want to tear into it just yet!

Lemme know what you think?????

Thanks

If you were driving along and it died, that is not good news. If it was starting before that and now it won't turn over, sounds like it's locked up.

Check the big fuses under the hood in the power control box. Its in the back corner on the drivers side. I dont really think its loocked up. It didnt get hot did it?

J&T Farm":3vsb18tm said:
Check the big fuses under the hood in the power control box. Its in the back corner on the drivers side.

I forgot all about that blasted box of trouble. :mad:

That is where I'd look before pulling the head.

J&T Farm":152p5myh said:
On a 7.3 diesel, are you kidding?
Using a bar, socket, or other hand tool is generally considered rolling it over by hand. It doesn't take as much effort as you might think.

Push or pull it with something if it is a manual transmission in third gear and see if the wheels slide or if the motor turns over. If the wheels slide it is a serious problem. The 7.3 could cavitate the cylinder walls if the cooling system didn't get a dose of F-15 additive every 15K. This was little pins holes in the cylinder walls which could become big ones which could mean a big problem. Keep us posted.

Wilson_Cattle_Company":2dx51b78 said:
No it didn't get hot. Dad and I made up our minds we are putting an early powerstroke w/ turbo in it. We will have to add computer and call that crap. Might be a pain but worth it.

Thanks for posts!

You can't go wrong with a Turbo 7.3. I had a 96, what a workhorse. Try to find something 96 or later. I understand they fixed a few minor issues in these and later motors.

Wilson_Cattle_Company":3ttm89k9 said:
No it didn't get hot. Dad and I made up our minds we are putting an early powerstroke w/ turbo in it. We will have to add computer and call that crap. Might be a pain but worth it.

Thanks for posts!

I've got a '94 7.3 turbo w/ direct injection (was told thats an early powerstroke? Not sure though) and it's pretty stout. I hauled a few cows to the vet for the neighbor the other day and it was weak. Probably need to change the fuel filter. (any suggestions?)

Back to my point: My brother in law has a 7.3 without the turbo and the first time he rode in mine was really suprised in the difference.

Hillside farmer":1ym5etmd said:
Check the timing chain. I've seen a few come loose and lodge into the gears.

Every ford diesel I've worked on has gears, not a chain.

Thanks for all the replys guys!!!

The flywheel was starting to go out before it "locked up" I think the flywheel could have finally went to hell on it??? Could this be???? Will check timing gears.

Keep m coming. I have not had time to look at it. Its been balls to the wall on this operation for sometime. gotta take dad dinner. Hes drillin'

Thanks!

Avery

Did it lose oil pressure? I know it might be a little late now but your oil screen could be clogged up.

Latest posts