5 Pics Herford heifers-My heads on the block

Help Support CattleToday:

ENNOT":3uveylvc said:
Who did you buy those heifers from. They look pretty good to me. I would say the previous owner poured the grain to them a little too much though. Otherwise they look good.

Yes they are all grained up for this type of show and sale, Grand and Res, will usally mean $1500 to $2000 more for your heifer. Now we are in the process of graining them down to go with the rest of the herd.

Alan

As mentioned the first pics are a bit too dark to tell very much. The last two were good. I don't think they are FAT, I don't think the tail head is bad - I think they look real good. I would not try to get them to lose any condition if you plan on breeding them. Cattle should be in a plane of gain at breeding time. I think these heifers are in perfect breeding condition, so if you can reduce (eliminate) their grain without having them lose weight, that's fine.
The last two pics that you can see them well, they do look a little post legged, but may just be how they are standing in pic.
Looks like you have two really nice additions to the herd. Congratulations.

Jovid":2qasara0 said:
They look pretty good to me.

Although some folks on here will tell you that their tail heads are too high which will cause fertility and calving issues. Don't see it as a problem myself.

Good luck

Tail heads to high??? Is that a Hereford thing? I have been raising registered cattle for over thirty years and I have never heard of a tail head to high. Ho well I am young yet. Nice to learn something new. :eek:

sillco":15wvwth4 said:
Jovid":15wvwth4 said:
They look pretty good to me.

Although some folks on here will tell you that their tail heads are too high which will cause fertility and calving issues. Don't see it as a problem myself.

Good luck

Tail heads to high??? Is that a Hereford thing? I have been raising registered cattle for over thirty years and I have never heard of a tail head to high. Ho well I am young yet. Nice to learn something new. :eek:

Not a "Hereford" thing, I think it was just a pride thing. Someone asked for a comment on his heifers and others gave him what he wanted and it seems to have struck a nerve.

Nice looking heifers.

The only problem I would have is that you bought them at a show/sale. Just not my cup of tea. Those animals are always pig fat.

And fat disguises a multitude of sins.

Time will tell though. I hope they live long and prosper on your ranch. ;-) I'm sure they will as you mentioned that they are superior to your culls.

Those girls have been pampered...they are fat.

Would like to see updated photos in a couple months when they are on a working girls diet.

Looks like some nice heifers to me! I would love a few like them. If they can hold their condition in the field and are easy keepers then I say you did a good job! Update us in future with some pictures once they been on pasture if you would?

Latest posts