5 Pics Herford heifers-My heads on the block

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I picked up a couple heifers yesterday that I'll use as replacments for some of the cows I'm culling this year. They are 13 months. Open to honest opinions good and bad... let me have it :eek:

IMG_0312.jpg

#21 EPD'S: BW 7.3 (I know too high but can be fixed with the right bull), WW 42, YW 74, MM 23, M&G 44.

IMG_0311.jpg

#22 EPD'S: BW 4.8, WW 39, YW 66, MM 19, M&G 39

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

Feel free to use both barrels, I need to learn and they are still heads and tails better then what I'm shipping.

Thanks,
Alan

They look good they should work good for you the only thing I see and it could be the angle is that one of the heifers looks real tight in the heart girth like to see more spring of rib would like to see a side shot straight on

The pics are dark enough that I can tell that they are fat and are Herefords. Can't tell much else about them.

Sorry about the dark pics, they seem good on my end. Yes LA they are grained up. Here's the other two view that was requested. Yes some of you are right they are Herefords. :D

Thanks,

Alan

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

Sorry about the dark pics, this is new to me, are they dark for everyone? Please be honest, I trying to learn somthing here... I know they are Hereford :D . It's the opinions on the EPD's and Heifers I'm looking for.

Alan

They look pretty good to me.

Although some folks on here will tell you that their tail heads are too high which will cause fertility and calving issues. Don't see it as a problem myself.

Good luck

Much better on the second set of pics. They look pretty decent. Their tail heads are right where they need to be IMO. Did you just buy them or have you had them or are you preparing them to show?

:lol: your girls are very nice! Very similiar to one of our show
heifers. :heart: What are their bloodlines? :lol:

They do look like they have been started to be fitted for show. They are a decent set of hfrs tho.

la4angus":3ge3ylq9 said:
They do look like they have been started to be fitted for show. They are a decent set of hfrs tho.

Picked them up at an association show and sale yesterday.

Alan

I like their looks. They have been well fed and the high birth wt. epd would concerns me some. I would try to use a proven calving ease bull with a negative epd for her first calf, especially if you breed her to calve at 2 years of age. I used P606 last year and he had a negative birth weight epd with around a .80 degree accuracy , boy did that change! Make sure you use one with a accuracy of .90 or higher and make sure to consider the calving ease epd too. Good luck with your heifers. Are you breeding registered Herefords?

LFF

Nice looking cattle. Wish I had a dozen just like them. Were the bred cows and pairs selling high at that sell ? Best of luck with those two.

Nice looking Herefords :D Is the one in the second picture standing beside #22 one of those black herefords we've been hearing so much about? :lol:

Who did you buy those heifers from. They look pretty good to me. I would say the previous owner poured the grain to them a little too much though. Otherwise they look good.

Med":2msrldpb said:
Nice looking cattle. Wish I had a dozen just like them. Were the bred cows and pairs selling high at that sell ? Best of luck with those two.

These type of sales it mostly heifers, had a few steers for the juniors, the did offer one three in 1 it went for just of 4500.

Alan

KMacGinley":1rafc6v8 said:
Nice looking Herefords :D Is the one in the second picture standing beside #22 one of those black herefords we've been hearing so much about? :lol:

No just darker pigmentation and evidently darker pics on your end. :D

Latest posts