5 month old bred

Help Support CattleToday:

jp

Reaction score
yearlin bull had his way with a 5 month old heifer a week ago. Got the lute today and will give it tomorrow. I have never heard of one cycling that young. jp

We had one calve at 13 months a few years back. Lost both. Lute everything now 1 week after weaning. Another lesson learned the hard way.

I work out of town alot and I'm glad I was home to see this or I probably would be losin her. jp

jkwilson,

I think that is a pretty good practice luteing them after they are weened if for any reason at all you have reason to thinky they may have been breed.

I have giving lutelace to horses to bring them in season to get them bred. But have never seen it given to a heifer. Do they sweat like crazy after they are giving the shot ? I have always thought it was a little rough on the horses I gave the shot to. Becasue of the way they sometime draw up when i guess the uterus is contracting.

What do you think about its affects on heifers ? Do you think it is a little hard on them ? I know it is necessary if one gets bred to young and know it. But if your not for sure and just doing it as a precaution. Do you think it is a good thing to do ? I am sure you do or you would not be doing it.

Stepper":9bv4tkf1 said:
But have never seen it given to a heifer.

We do not use lute - we use estrumate - a derivative of lute - or vice versa - we do it fairly regular

they sweat like crazy after they are giving the shot ?

Nope - no reaction other than "let me out of the chute"

What do you think about its affects on heifers ?

No ill effects to date - we use it to synch heifer heats for AI

Do you think it is a little hard on them ?

Nope

Do you think it is a good thing to do ?

We do not use anything when we bring them in off pasture, but that is our choice for our operation - others may be - and very likely are - different.

Regards

Bez>

Bez,

So the only time you would use estrumate would be only if you had reason to think the heifer had gotten bred to young of if for some other reason you wanted to abort the pregnancy ?

I dont know much about AI and heat synch. Does the estrumate work sort of like lutelace does on horses and bring them into heat ?

Stepper":3dslyxc1 said:
Bez,

So the only time you would use estrumate would be only if you had reason to think the heifer had gotten bred to young of if for some other reason you wanted to abort the pregnancy ?

I dont know much about AI and heat synch. Does the estrumate work sort of like lutelace does on horses and bring them into heat ?

Answer to your first question:

If I want to abort for any reason - sooner the better - I use estrumate. You can also use Lute.

However I also use it to bring an animal into heat - be it a cow or a heifer. It can be used to kill and it can be used to create life.

Second question - do not know about horses - never used it - always did it for real with a stud.

However - estrumate and lute both create the situation where a cow or heifer will come into heat. And yes you can synch your herd. There are many ways to do this and while I may be here for a bit tonight - it is after midnight and I am not prepared to go into a detailed discussion this late in the evening.

There is a pile of info in the "search" area of the boards and there are plenty of people here who are head and shoulders above me in this discussion.

One that comes to mind and I know he knows his stuff - plus they operate a working ranch and use horses for most work - is Northern Rancher. You might PM him for the finer points. He does ranch AI work all over North Saskatchewan and has a bull that I will be buying semen out of.

I am just an old codger who manages to get by. The real AI pros are out there and they will give you the straight information and most likely in a far better manner than I will.

To the best of my knowledge I have answered your questions clearly - if you need more give me a shout - but I preface that with this comment:

Lots out there that AI and synch herds of cattle - often and well. I am a duffer and I too will ask the pros.

You might give Northern Rancher a shout - a decent guy who will respond with technically correct answers.

Regards

Bez>

Lute, estramate and a bouple fo tohers are just prostaglandin. It causes the recesssion of the corpuss luteam the presence of which prevents ovulation and heat. The stuff itself doesn;t "cause" heat. It makes the ovary ready to prpare to ovulate which cuases the onset of heat.
GnRH causes ovulation, but if a CL is present it just sort of resets the ovary to start a new wave of eggs ripening.

Lutalyse is the natural hormone and Estrumate is a synthetic. Not sure why, but our vet asks how old the animal is before choosing which one to give us.

It has not caused any issues with getting the heifers bred the following spring, and it doesn't seem to affect them. They are in the middle of weaning, so they aren't in the best mood anyway.

It's just too hard with our facilities and time to keep the heifers away from the bull. We always seem to have later calving heifers and an AI cow who slipped a couple of cycles that still need to see the bull while the earliest born heifers are getting some age on them.

I do know that some people believe that using it for heat synchronization increases the incidence of twins.

my vet says between 3weeks and 3months, it works just remember they will come back in shortly after the shot, about a week to ten days.

if you give the lute to abort, the heifer would be in a breeding heat since it was kicking out the aborted fetus. it would need time to repair right?

Outrigger2":32f7gtn6 said:
if you give the lute to abort, the heifer would be in a breeding heat since it was kicking out the aborted fetus. it would need time to repair right?

After only a week or 2 and probably 3 it isn;t really an abortion a such. All it does is pass the egg that's floating around in there. I would think even after a month or maybe 2 there wouldn;t be all that much of a true abortion.