4h bucket calves

Help Support CattleToday:

moserranch

Reaction score
:D Hi all! Just starting out here and just moved to Oklahoma. They have bucket calf for 4-H. I am just getting ideas, going to join 4-H, but has anyone raised a bucket calf? If so could you give some input. Thanks

Welcome to the board!

I wouldn't be much help to you for your question but there are lots of knowledgeable people on here that can help with most any question or topic. Some of the ladies on the board raise bottle calves. You will probably get more replies if you post a pic of your calf. :)

J+

The bucket calf (bottle raised) event at our fair is as much a showmanship deal as a calf competition. Helps youngsters start to learn how to show an animal to it's best potential. But every kid gets first place

moserranch
welcome.gif

Boy am I glad to see you.
You're the first person that I have seen on here use the term "bucket calf".
Most people on here call them "bottle calves".
I have always called them bucket calves" or bucket babies.
Now I don't feel so alone. Thank you.
And your question was:
has anyone raised a bucket calf?
Yes, probably in the 100s.
If so could you give some input.
Yes. For starters let's be sure we are talking about the same think.

You get a new born calf and now you need to feed him.
There are three steps you can use to make him a bucket calf.
Bucket calf defined: To be able to place a bucket (without nipple) in front of a calf and he will drink from it all by himself.
That is your goal.
Now here are the 3 steps that can be used to reach your goal.
1. bottle feed him by using a bottle with a nipple on it.
2. use a bucket with a nipple on it.
3. bucket feed him. He drinks right out of the bucket with no nipple.
When you have accomplished your goal he should look like this.
camel.gif

Just kidding!
rof13.gif

Now do you have any questions so far?
SL

moserranch":3lbcrsdv said:
:D Hi all! Just starting out here and just moved to Oklahoma. They have bucket calf for 4-H. I am just getting ideas, going to join 4-H, but has anyone raised a bucket calf? If so could you give some input. Thanks

Quite glad you used the real term for the bucket calves many call them bottle calves. Joining 4-h is really fun, you are able to do alot. I can answer basically any of your questions fo raising a bucket calf, I just need some to answer. Raising the calves are fun but require a lot of attention, disipline, and responsibity, not just to hand it over to your mom or dad to do, you need to raise them yourself. asking questions is a great way to start, ask anything you want and I'll help as much as I can.
Good Luck!!! :D

Sir Loin":odz8pex0 said:
Bucket calf defined: To be able to place a bucket (without nipple) in front of a calf and he will drink from it all by himself
That is your goal.

No, that is not his goal. His goal is to raise a healthy, competitive bottle baby, that will grow out properly, and he can make money with. Hint - they are called bottle babies for a reason. You might want to do a little research on the different components of a calves stomach - as well as which one's are the most effective for processing milk - and the esphogeal groove and how it affects milk absorbtion before you go recommending this type of feeding.

SL

msscamp":2c8ctth8 said:
Hint - they are called bottle babies for a reason. You might want to do a little research on the different components of a calves stomach - as well as which one's are the most effective for processing milk - and the esphageal groove and how it affects milk absorbtion before you go recommending this type of feeding.[/b]

Bottle calves and bucket calves are two completely different entities let's not get them confused.

hillsdown":1uhqf5ej said:
msscamp":1uhqf5ej said:
Hint - they are called bottle babies for a reason. You might want to do a little research on the different components of a calves stomach - as well as which one's are the most effective for processing milk - and the esphageal groove and how it affects milk absorbtion before you go recommending this type of feeding.[/b]

Bottle calves and bucket calves are two completely different entities let's not get them confused.

How so? Around here the only difference is whether they nursed from a bucket (pail with a nipple attached) or a bottle - either way they still nursed, as opposed to drinking.

msscamp":1s8pvczd said:
hillsdown":1s8pvczd said:
msscamp":1s8pvczd said:

How so? Around here the only difference is whether they nursed from a bucket (pail with a nipple attached) or a bottle - either way they still nursed, as opposed to drinking.

A bucket is a bucket.A bucket with a nipple is still not the most sanitary ,although the proper digestion occurs because of the nipple.A bottle calf means that the bottle is sterilized after each feeding and hopefully after the milk has been poured into the bottle and the nipple attached the risk of contamination to feed is limited.Either way a bucket "baby" is not a bottle fed calf.

hillsdown":3o5lfx1j said:
msscamp":3o5lfx1j said:
hillsdown":3o5lfx1j said:
msscamp":3o5lfx1j said:

A bucket is a bucket.A bucket with a nipple is still not the most sanitary ,although the proper digestion occurs because of the nipple.A bottle calf means that the bottle is sterilized after each feeding and hopefully after the milk has been poured into the bottle and the nipple attached the risk of contamination to feed is limited.Either way a bucket "baby" is not a bottle fed calf.

Pure semantics - whether a bucket with a nipple is properly sanitized is the choice/option/practice of the individual person/feeder. Calves have been raised with a nipple bucket for many, many years before the bottle was invented - and with no ill effects, I might add. You would probably be surprised at the number of people who do not 'sterilize' bottles between feedings - most times the bottle is simply rinsed out and used again when the next feeding time comes around. I disagree - bottle baby, bucket baby, bucket calf, bottle calf - they are all interchangeable terms for me that mean the same thing.

msscamp":2bqeao43 said:
Sir Loin":2bqeao43 said:
Bucket calf defined: To be able to place a bucket (without nipple) in front of a calf and he will drink from it all by himself
That is your goal.

No, that is not his goal. His goal is to raise a healthy, competitive bottle baby, that will grow out properly, and he can make money with. Hint - they are called bottle babies for a reason. You might want to do a little research on the different components of a calves stomach - as well as which one's are the most effective for processing milk - and the esophageal groove and how it affects milk absorption before you go recommending this type of feeding.

SL

If you thought they were all the same you would not have posted this.

As for sanitary I would not be surprised at all but me and a lot of producers sterilize everything that is the way it should be. done.

hillsdown":2qtp07s0 said:
msscamp":2qtp07s0 said:
Sir Loin":2qtp07s0 said:
That is your goal.

No, that is not his goal. His goal is to raise a healthy, competitive bottle baby, that will grow out properly, and he can make money with. Hint - they are called bottle babies for a reason. You might want to do a little research on the different components of a calves stomach - as well as which one's are the most effective for processing milk - and the esophageal groove and how it affects milk absorption before you go recommending this type of feeding.

SL

If you thought they were all the same you would not have posted this.

Wrong. I posted 'bottle babies' simply because that seems to be the accepted/most easily understood term when it comes to raising orphaned calves, not because I believe there is a difference between bucket babies vs bottle babies vs bucket calves vs bottle calves.

Sir Loin":30gj5yli said:
To be able to place a bucket (without nipple) in front of a calf and he will drink from it all by himself.
That is your goal.
SL

Sir Loin, with all due respect, that should not be his goal. Keep the calf on a bottle. Get a bottle rack.

Please don't tell anyone, especially 4H kids, to raise a calf like this.

Glad to get replies. I didn't type it right. I am the mother :) . The 4-H program is called "bucket calf" project but you can feed them with a bottle if you choose. You don't get the calf until may-just trying to see if this is a good choice to start with to introduce the kids to showing. How often do you have to feed them? They would be about 10 days old.

moserranch":az9cifg3 said:
Glad to get replies. I didn't type it right. I am the mother :) . The 4-H program is called "bucket calf" project but you can feed them with a bottle if you choose. You don't get the calf until may-just trying to see if this is a good choice to start with to introduce the kids to showing. How often do you have to feed them? They would be about 10 days old.

If you are going to do one, you may as well do a few. It is a twice a day commitment.

I place them in seperate chutes, put bottles in racks, and feed them twice a day. They are turned out of the chute into a pen once they finish their bottle. Plenty of fresh water, starter feed, good hay, and shade. Keep a close eye on the droppings for signs of scours etc. Keep a shovel in a wheel barrel and pick up droppings from the pen at least a couple of times a week.

If one gets sick, isolate it from the others and get it healthy quick.

I have a nurse cow and don't do bottle babies any more unless it is a must - the cow is dry or something. I have probably raised something like 500 in my life time, more so in the 70's than lately.

A ten day old calf is going to be spunky. If he has been on momma for ten days, be prepared for a battle. You may have to force feed him for a couple of days. When the time comes, ask questions and there are some really knowledged folks on here that can tell you what to do.

I think it will be rewarding for a kid to raise one this way. It is a responsibility and it cannot be taken lightly. That calf will need to be fed on 12 hour intervals.

Quote:
When the time comes, ask questions and there are some really knowledged folks on here that can tell you what to do.
UnQuote.

I really have a hard time asking a question when the thread becomes a word battle between the ones that " are some really knowledged folks on here ". Every time some information is needed by someone, the battle begins...........Forget it trying to get any good info from here with these ego maniacs on board here.........I have been here only a short time and have some questions and worries, but looks like a battle between the "know-it-alls" here rather than a place we can share knowledge and experiences. Every question becomes a battle to decide who can copy and paste the most links from the internet instead of imparting some knowledge and experience. Sad, Sad. :(

Here we have a "veal program" for 4-h. Same thing. We get the calves at about 10 days and feed them until they are about 115 days (325 pounds max). But they come from what amounts to a feed lot and have not seen mom since day one. We have done this for years.

We have had ok luck with the bottle but much healthier calves using the bottles. It seems to take the same amount of time and the bottles make less mess when they start to head-butt.

We feed twice a day although if you have time 3 times is better. Use a high quality milk replacer. Our calves have to be drinking milk at the fair. They get some feed but not enough to put them off the bottle. And they get some hay.

We show holstiens. The judges HERE want them to look like beef cattle in the ring. So they get a lot of milk. in the end they are eating between 5 and 10 pounds of milk a day. We had a slow grower one year eating 22 pounds a day.

We halter break after they have been home for a week. Lets them settle down before we stress them again. They also get dehorned and castrated. I band because it is what I am comfortable with.

hraz":1hx1zpiu said:
We show holstiens. The judges HERE want them to look like beef cattle in the ring. So they get a lot of milk. in the end they are eating between 5 and 10 pounds of milk a day. We had a slow grower one year eating 22 pounds a day.

:shock: :eek:

22lbs a day dry weight? at $45+ per 50lb bag of milk replacer??? :shock:

TexSys":ixx8o2yf said:
Quote:
When the time comes, ask questions and there are some really knowledged folks on here that can tell you what to do.
UnQuote.

I really have a hard time asking a question when the thread becomes a word battle between the ones that " are some really knowledged folks on here ". Every time some information is needed by someone, the battle begins...........Forget it trying to get any good info from here with these ego maniacs on board here.........I have been here only a short time and have some questions and worries, but looks like a battle between the "know-it-alls" here rather than a place we can share knowledge and experiences. Every question becomes a battle to decide who can copy and paste the most links from the internet instead of imparting some knowledge and experience. Sad, Sad. :(

And to which new entity are you from?Whom do you usually post under??????That is the most pathetic of all ,post from your original or don't respond at all chicken sh*T........

TexSys":nik2u5vr said:

Perhaps you're looking at it from the wrong perspective. Different things work for different people, and everyone has an opinion based on what has worked for that person. What works for me in Wyoming may not work for someone in Canada or someone in Texas, or Louisiana. There are no absolutes, no pat answers, nor are there any guarantees that one solution will work in every situation. Your job is to post your question, read the replies, do your research, and then figure out what works for you and what doesn't.

Latest posts