44 Farms partners with Walmart??

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven":2vq0qxrf said:
NEFarmwife":2vq0qxrf said:
We run cattle because we love cattle. Our dates consist of pasture checks and a cold beer. While most are destined for slaughter, they're not numbers to me.

When they're on our home place, they're walked through, talked to, and treated occasionally.

I'd hate to think of the day, I'd look out my kitchen window and not see all the cows and calves.

I do it the very, very, same style. If I didn't enjoy my cattle, there are 101 better ways to make money.

Working cattle beats an office job ANY DAY of the week!

*************":x59fxh2y said:
Here are some photos of the herd and the calves, along with our bulls for sale

SAV Raindance daughter on left, Baldridge Colonel daughter on right, farthest cow to left turns 16 this year, she is from Blueblood Lady cow family, SAV Raindance calf is her daughter

Our bulls for sale, all are under two years old.

SAV Harvestor daughter out of 12 year old Elba cow, recently weaned

Baldridge Colonel daughter out of Miss Burgess cow, also recently weaned

SAV Harvestor son, recently weaned

This is a grandson of OCC Unmistakable 946U and a son of McCumber Unmistakable 573, he is from a 2040 pound Queen Mother cow. The photo doesn't do him justice, he's thicker than a snicker in person.

These cattle aren't powder puffs, they can all perform in poor conditions, I know because the winter here in Kentucky has been one of the worst ever in terms of mud and rain.

James, since everyone here thinks I got your back, I am going to take the first shot. I love that Harvestor daughter but those two last bulls look a little weak in the top line and they are not as heavy boned as I would expect, maybe that is because I am use to my heavy boned Simmentals.

I look forward to coming over. I hate to comment on pictures.

*************":2fifgdem said:

SAV Raindance daughter on left, Baldridge Colonel daughter on right, farthest cow to left turns 16 this year, she is from Blueblood Lady cow family, SAV Raindance calf is her daughter

This is a grandson of OCC Unmistakable 946U and a son of McCumber Unmistakable 573, he is from a 2040 pound Queen Mother cow. The photo doesn't do him justice, he's thicker than a snicker in person.

These cattle aren't powder puffs, they can all perform in poor conditions, I know because the winter here in Kentucky has been one of the worst ever in terms of mud and rain.

They look real good Branded.
I looked at what I'm pretty sure are some of your bulls on cattle range last night. Might have been a old add idk.
They looked good and pretty fairly priced. If you where down the road I would give one a try. I would still call BS
on a few statements you've made.

*************":pcrwnnw4 said:
For our operation, it's all about trying to breed in the best genetics we can use, that's our strategy for thriving versus surviving.
Anyone can buy great genetics, it takes a breeder to make great genetics.

sim.-ang.king":26ox5lgx said:
*************":26ox5lgx said:
For our operation, it's all about trying to breed in the best genetics we can use, that's our strategy for thriving versus surviving.

Not yet. Maybe in another 100 years will bioengineering advance to the degree that genetics can be created. As the art stands right now, the guy who buys genetics and the guy who breeds genetics do the very same thing. They take the genetics that the animal possesses and recombine in an attempt to express a desired set of traits. Only a fool would not start with the best set of genetics available to achieve his objective.

sim.-ang.king":foki19ed said:
*************":foki19ed said:

Uh oh, here comes the breeder vs. multiplier debate.

NEFarmwife":2vu0sn69 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2vu0sn69 said:
NEFarmwife":2vu0sn69 said:
We run cattle because we love cattle. Our dates consist of pasture checks and a cold beer. While most are destined for slaughter, they're not numbers to me.

When they're on our home place, they're walked through, talked to, and treated occasionally.

I'd hate to think of the day, I'd look out my kitchen window and not see all the cows and calves.

My mother in law felt the same way.

She's now in a nursing facility and her farm has been sold.

The day is coming....for all of us...

Nah, I'll die here. I just turned 40. I have some time!

I was 40 once too, seems like just last week. Time tends to accelerate as you get a little older. Not sure why.

Enjoy life. It's fleeting.

TennesseeTuxedo":w5tbfg4o said:
NEFarmwife":w5tbfg4o said:
TennesseeTuxedo":w5tbfg4o said:
My mother in law felt the same way.

She's now in a nursing facility and her farm has been sold.

The day is coming....for all of us...

I was 40 once too, seems like just last week. Time tends to accelerate as you get a little older. Not sure why.

You sure know how to brighten ones day! :wave:

NEFarmwife":1os7qtut said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1os7qtut said:
NEFarmwife":1os7qtut said:

You sure know how to brighten ones day! :wave:

Sorry.

Bright Raven":3bkdc1yu said:
sim.-ang.king":3bkdc1yu said:
*************":3bkdc1yu said:

As the art stands right now, the guy who buys genetics and the guy who breeds genetics do the very same thing. They take the genetics that the animal possesses and recombine in an attempt to express a desired set of traits. Only a fool would not start with the best set of genetics available to achieve his objective.
Very true, but using some else's genetics every consecutive generation, doesn't mean you're some breeding wizard. The best breeders out there, that all of you love to buy seman from, have more then just two generations in their herd, at the very least on the cows side.

sim.-ang.king":2ms5yf3e said:
Bright Raven":2ms5yf3e said:
sim.-ang.king":2ms5yf3e said:

As the art stands right now, the guy who buys genetics and the guy who breeds genetics do the very same thing. They take the genetics that the animal possesses and recombine in an attempt to express a desired set of traits. Only a fool would not start with the best set of genetics available to achieve his objective.
Very true, but using some else's genetics every consecutive generation, doesn't mean you're some breeding wizard. The best breeders out there, that all of you love to buy seman from, have more then just two generations in their herd, at the very least on the cows side.

I agree on that. Let's just say, some are better and been doing it longer but the process is still employing sperm and eggs.

callmefence":1r6p19is said:
*************":1r6p19is said:

They look real good Branded.
I looked at what I'm pretty sure are some of your bulls on cattle range last night. Might have been a old add idk.
They looked good and pretty fairly priced. If you where down the road I would give one a try. I would still call BS
on a few statements you've made.

Thank you, I appreciate what you said.

sim.-ang.king":3pw3yvqq said:
*************":3pw3yvqq said:

Yes
Like when someone xs a Sim with a Angus or a Brahman x Hereford etc. To make a better animal for their situation.

I'm not proclaiming to be a breeding wizard, but there are some pretty sharp breeders out there that have an uncanny eye. I happen to think Kelly Schaff and Charles Cannon fall in that category, among several others.

When our bulls leave here, most of the producers probably use them pretty hard. They hold up because they have good genetics and they were developed with really top nutrition.

As for longevity and not being a one hit wonder, that Harvestor daughter you like Ron, is from a cow that suffered a really bad stifle injury about 45 days before she gave birth to that calf, she looked like someone with two broken legs trying to walk it off. Well she didn't recover completely, and looks rough, but she did what a great Angus momma cow does, she made sh..t happen. We fed her nightly out in the field, made sure she had water and bedding, and she delivered that Harvestor daughter with no issues, then nursed that hoss to what she is today. The cow was 12 years old when injured.

I'm trying to get her settled to SAV Elation right now, limp and all. Two of her sons brought $3k a piece and looked great, that Harvestor daughter is a fairly rare item, so why not try again? How is that for "trying to make a dollar outta 15 cents?"

I know that's not the norm, but it does speak to "real world" issues, and not just a bunch of show queens.

I am not a fan of what you've posted but I am going to chalk that up to bad photography. I know what Harvestors look like and I'd take more of them but you wouldn't sell me on those photos.

NEFarmwife":2wwzmep7 said:
I am not a fan of what you've posted but I am going to chalk that up to bad photography. I know what Harvestors look like and I'd take more of them but you wouldn't sell me on those photos.

I was asked to show "real world realistic pics". This is the first day in I don't know when that we had decent weather. If I cleaned them up, put them in straw and had a pro take the photos, they wouldn't even resemble the cattle in the photos.

*************":270630g8 said:
NEFarmwife":270630g8 said:

I was asked to show "real world realistic pics". This is the first day in I don't know when that we had decent weather. If I cleaned them up, put them in straw and had a pro take the photos, they wouldn't even resemble the cattle in the photos.
A """cattleman"""don't need those fancy frills to judge cattle....if thats what's required,they need to raise poodles...ill take a good one belly deep in mud..over a spit and polished turd...

ALACOWMAN":3jlfajp9 said:
*************":3jlfajp9 said:
NEFarmwife":3jlfajp9 said:

A """cattleman"""don't need those fancy frills to judge cattle....if thats what's required,they need to raise poodles...ill take a good one belly deep in mud..over a spit and polished turd...

The best way to judge the cattle is to stop by and see them in person.

Latest posts