44 Farms partners with Walmart??

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven":a7q07x2x said:
*************":a7q07x2x said:
Nice!!!!! That fish definitely "mashes the scales"

Andy is a good guy. Keep him in your corner.

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen right? Do you know why most producers wouldn't DARE get up on this message board? They don't want the HEAT, they don't want a critical analysis of their cattle. One can keep a nice buffer with a website or a salebook, but an actual conversation? Now that's a whole different animal? No pun intended.

I appreciate the comments, good or bad, I learn from them. We are all in this cattle game together, we all deserve a shot at making it happen, and my hats off to all the people on here that work hard on their herd, it's a calling that most people would never be able to do, or for that matter be able to endure.

As for the nutcrackers on here, you are appreciated, things would get stale without you.

Bright Raven":1m7boxjx said:
*************":1m7boxjx said:
callmefence":1m7boxjx said:
Ain't y'all been keeping up. It's like driving a f450 platinum or sticking your head up a bulls azz.........?.......dammit , I told y'all I'm no salesman.
But This windy sob Branded ought to be selling post drivers ...I tell you what.

Windy??? How about Really Windy? LOL!

https://www.universalsemensales.com/bre ... windy-4097

Nice! James, you need to stop offending other Users.

I agree well played Branded.. welcome to CT. Couple things. You were asked to show the numbers on how a 14000 bull benefits a commercial rancher. You dodged with the f450 comment. So your thick skinned but full of shyt. Until you show the numbers anyway. Maybe some undoctered photos of your cattle and your place to. Put your money where your mouth is,so to say. I'll wager at commercial sale my margins will beat yours. I've got 3 bulls right now.
1750 was the highest priced one. I post some pictures if you wish. Although I already have. Calves to we can compare. Only thing you gotta go outside and take em with your phone. I'll do the same. I just left one herd took some.fixing to go check another. I'll check back in.

As beef becomes labeled to certain bloodlines let me tell you what is gonna well just look at the chicken. Beef will be bought on contract directly from the producer. Who must by their genetics from the same people buying their beef.
The micro producer with 40 cows WILL BE GONE... there's always Craigslist I guess.

Only one way to offend me. And that's to think that you did. Lol...we're gonna blame Ron for that one...I Know him and I know he pmd you back and forth. Cause that's what he does. I've got something coming for him. lol................

*************":1osobj0w said:
Bright Raven":1osobj0w said:
*************":1osobj0w said:
Nice!!!!! That fish definitely "mashes the scales"

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen right? Do you know why most producers wouldn't DARE get up on this message board? They don't want the HEAT, they don't want a critical analysis of their cattle. One can keep a nice buffer with a website or a salebook, but an actual conversation? Now that's a whole different animal? No pun intended.

I appreciate the comments, good or bad, I learn from them. We are all in this cattle game together, we all deserve a shot at making it happen, and my hats off to all the people on here that work hard on their herd, it's a calling that most people would never be able to do, or for that matter be able to endure.

As for the nutcrackers on here, you are appreciated, things would get stale without you.

I could name 5 top Simmental Producers who read but never post. They think the risk is too great.

Bright Raven":j14zjliq said:
*************":j14zjliq said:
Bright Raven":j14zjliq said:

I could name 5 top Simmental Producers who read but never post. They think the risk is too great.

A lot of people are uncomfortable with their cattle being picked apart. I'm good with that, it's like have a huge focus group that is helping me see things that I either might accidentally overlook ( to err is human), or might wish to overlook. I think that cattle genetics would reach much higher levels if the heat was really turned up on most producers. It's might experience that most people tend to slack when eyes are off of them.

Bright Raven":39difw25 said:
*************":39difw25 said:
Bright Raven":39difw25 said:

We approached University of Kentucky to see if they wanted to do joint beef research with us when we put the collars on a few years ago, No dice! Not interested. I bet that if they knew about all the information we have gleaned in that short window of time that they might reconsider. There's more I'm not sharing, the secret sauce, so to say, but I have shared quite a bit so far in hopes that it would help other people with their AI protocol. I think it's better when everyone helps each other to improve.

*************":1sha9kl3 said:
Bright Raven":1sha9kl3 said:
*************":1sha9kl3 said:

A lot of people are uncomfortable with their cattle being picked apart. I'm good with that, it's like have a huge focus group that is helping me see things that I either might accidentally overlook ( to err is human), or might wish to overlook. I think that cattle genetics would reach much higher levels if the heat was really turned up on most producers. It's might experience that most people tend to slack when eyes are off of them.
I hate having my cattle picked apart, but I know it's good for me! I'm just kinda doing my own thing, I think my ideal 3 breed cross would be 1/2 Gelbvieh, 1/4 SH, 1/4 Saler.. the animals I have with approximately that cross are the ones I like best

Grass, a little hay and milk. Their fixing to get turned out in the hills behind. Deer season is over.
Last pic taken last week. The others today. I show some from a braford bull tommorow.

This forum use to be all out breed civil war, it was so hot the servers melted. It is much more mild now, really too mild now.

We did an agricultural and beef documentary a couple years ago with the UGA and Georgia Department Agricultural. Now there coming back to do another on Georgia's dirtiest jobs. I posted a link somewhere here last time and will again this time.

callmefence":1r8imv7q said:
Grass, a little hay and milk. Their fixing to get turned out in the hills behind. Deer season is over.
Last pic taken last week. The others today. I show some from a braford bull tommorow.

Those pics appear to be of some pretty good cattle, but next time could you give that lens a quick wipe with something clean?

NEFarmwife":1fzp0buw said:
I googled you Branded. In the Pb angus business since 67 and a herd size of 50ish?

Do you mind me asking what your goal is?

We are at 60 right now, all registered, we will top out at about 100-125 cows/heifers. The goal is to AI the entire group each season and to produce 100 registered Angus AI calves per year. We use multiple AI sires right now, mainly SAV, Baldridge, and Connealy. There are other sires we have in the tank from VAR to Bubs, and such, we use them from time to time.

Our cow families are Queen Mother, Miss Burgess, Eurotia, Evergreen, Blueblood Lady, Elba, Joy Erica, Edella, and Pride.

We have developed a lot of our females ourselves over the years but have also purchased from the Cannon family, Charles and Jere Cannon, who own Stone Gate farm. They have been around since 1952 and have an excellent maternal program, i.e. 9 current Pathfinders in their 400 registered Angus cows (SAV has 20 I think) Charles Cannon, in my opinion is one of the best cattlemen in the Angus business, and a consummate gentleman to work with. Stone Gate is a big reason why we have some outstanding momma cows in our herd. We have worked with them since the 70's.

Right now given the very high quality of sexed semen from ST Genetics we are tossing around the idea of breeding our entire group of females to SAV Raindance sexed semen and taking the females to 100+ by the fall of 2020. Raindance has produced some excellent females for us so far and I think that another 50-60 new heifers next year would be a welcome addition to our herd.

callmefence":14l18wua said:

Dammit you cheap son of a gun! Would you PLEASE, for the love of all things cattle, either wipe that dang smudge off the lens of your camera phone (if its not a smudge, crack open that vise grip wallet, blow the dust off and replace that flip phone!) :lol:
You post some of the most interesting pics on this site, but all I can do is focus on the blurry left side. There! I said it. Now you can tell me to hump a stump or what not, but I got it off my chest :cowboy:

callmefence":2fz2f30v said:
I agree well played Branded.. welcome to CT. Couple things. You were asked to show the numbers on how a 14000 bull benefits a commercial rancher. You dodged with the f450 comment. So your thick skinned but full of shyt. Until you show the numbers anyway. Maybe some undoctered photos of your cattle and your place to. Put your money where your mouth is,so to say. I'll wager at commercial sale my margins will beat yours. I've got 3 bulls right now.
1750 was the highest priced one. I post some pictures if you wish. Although I already have. Calves to we can compare. Only thing you gotta go outside and take em with your phone. I'll do the same. I just left one herd took some.fixing to go check another. I'll check back in.

As beef becomes labeled to certain bloodlines let me tell you what is gonna well just look at the chicken. Beef will be bought on contract directly from the producer. Who must by their genetics from the same people buying their beef.
The micro producer with 40 cows WILL BE GONE.
.. there's always Craigslist I guess.

Only one way to offend me. And that's to think that you did. Lol...we're gonna blame Ron for that one...I Know him and I know he pmd you back and forth. Cause that's what he does. I've got something coming for him. lol................

Intriguing statement Fence. A major factor that has prevented the mass corporatization of beef production is the large quantity of land needed to produce cattle; essentially insulating or protecting the STO from being overwhelmed by corporatization. How and how soon do you see the STO becoming extinct and how will corporations go about implementing this.

Side note: I am using corporatization as a broad spectrum, inclusive term to describe what has already occurred in pork and poultry industries, and what I presume you are describing in the statement in bold highlights.

bball":dvnmsr4p said:
callmefence":dvnmsr4p said:

The micro producer with 40 cows WILL BE GONE.
.. there's always Craigslist I guess.

Intriguing statement Fence. A major factor that has prevented the mass corporatization of beef production is the large quantity of land needed to produce cattle; essentially insulating or protecting the STO from being overwhelmed by corporatization. How and how soon do you see the STO becoming extinct and how will corporations go about implementing this.

Side note: I am using corporatization as a broad spectrum, inclusive term to describe what has already occurred in pork and poultry industries, and what I presume you are describing in the statement in bold highlights.
Definitely not Fenceman, but I think the beef industry will mirror the chicken and dairy industry. We'll be working for them raising what they want our our land for little to nothing. We're sorta already doing that. The only way I can see to survive and do it your way, is to be able to sell directly to the public off the farm. But the higher powers don't want a person to be able to make a good living off 50 cows.

True Grit Farms":1c1x2h40 said:
Definitely not Fenceman, but I think the beef industry will mirror the chicken and dairy industry. We'll be working for them raising what they want our our land for little to nothing. We're sorta already doing that. The only way I can see to survive and do it your way, is to be able to sell directly to the public off the farm. But the higher powers don't want a person to be able to make a good living off 50 cows.

Vince, I'm not so sure it's the higher powers don't want it, but more a function of no one is lobbying on the STOs behalf; consequently, we are overlooked or forgotten because 'big money' pushes their agendas through and their agenda is often antagonistic to a STO agenda. Essentially, what happened to pork and poultry producers and is currently happening to the dairymen.

I still wonder how exactly the corporatization will occur. A high percentage of beef produced in this country is produced by STOs on 50 to 150 acre farms/ranchettes.

I sometimes regret serving on the county cattle board. Robertson is one of the smallest counties in the state. There is ZERO industrial employment. The county seat has a population of 299. The county has one gas station.

The members of our Cattle board were raised here, are very dedicated and very loyal to the future of cattle in Robertson County. I am not from here. I was asked to serve on the board mainly because no one has time to. Every producer in this county except about 5 work off the farm. They drive 60 to 70 miles one way to find off the farm employment. Just yesterday, I stopped on the road to find out if a guy needed help. His old SUV broke down on his way to Lexington where he is a diesel mechanic for Coke. Turns out he is a small producer in our county.

I find it very troubling to encourage young folks to go into cattle production when my conscience says to tell them to leave the county, get a good education and find more gainful employment.

Maybe they'll do it through the feed supply chain. Hog and chicken operations are supplied feed from those who have them under contract to raise their products. I'm always a few steps behind, but the EID and DNA programs will be a driving force behind getting the US cattlemen in line and doing what we're told is best for US. IMO

Latest posts