44 Farms partners with Walmart??

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":2n54asnp said:
*************":2n54asnp said:
True Grit Farms":2n54asnp said:
Do you retain ownership through slaughter? And if so what percentage of your steers grade prime?

We don't have a steer operation, who knows it might grade lower, but my guess is that a cow with top 15% ribeye, marb, and $B EPD profile bred to SydGen Enhance would score better than average.
Well GAR genetics is by far the leader in beef numbers, they've supposedly been breeding for beef since they began. We have programs through UGA for retained ownership, and GAR bred Angus win the beef challenge every time. Your sure toss prime and Angus around a lot for not retaining ownership. Do you put any of your bulls into the different bull tests and evaluation programs?

I'd prefer that prime steak. But like most of the world I eat something like the other six nights a week. ( Venison last night) and I get the prime the seventh night. There is a bigger market for choice than prime. And at the commercial cow calf level , you truly don't get paid for grade. You get paid for pounds. Is that steak off one of your cattle.???

You be the judge, do you want to eat this grass fed Charolais

or this grain fed, prime Angus

[/quote]
What I'd want to eat and what I'd buy aren't the same. I'd have to be spending your money to buy that or any t-bone. To much expensive bone. For the money if I had to buy either of buy the sirloin and make a pot of beef stew. :2cents:

1982vett":1e75r6r7 said:

What I'd want to eat and what I'd buy aren't the same. I'd have to be spending your money to buy that or any t-bone. To much expensive bone. For the money if I had to buy either of buy the sirloin and make a pot of beef stew. :2cents:[/quote]

Vett the fellow has taken the Angus marketing genius hook line and sinker.
It's richer than three feet up a bull a$$.

Can't blame him for singing praise to his breed...but look who he's singing too...the old wore out crowd..that tune been played a million times.he'll settle down drekly :lol2:

ALACOWMAN":nkbiv9we said:
Can't blame him for singing praise to he's breed...but look who he's singing too...the old wore out crowd..that tune been played a million times.he'll settle down drekly :lol2:

That's exactly how it feels. At times I think I'm talking to people, at least in my parts, where the real demand is for broken down bulls, with trich and foot rot. Overlook anything for a deal, right? "Just look at all the money I'm saving by purchasing a $1000 bull versus $3-5k bull" Oh well, WTF do I know? :bang:

Again, I'm not putting down any other breeds, I look at things from a different angle, and Angus has the brand, they have the marketing, and they usually bring the most money at auction. If that's a bad thing, I'll take it...

*************":9sch4tqs said:
ALACOWMAN":9sch4tqs said:
Can't blame him for singing praise to he's breed...but look who he's singing too...the old wore out crowd..that tune been played a million times.he'll settle down drekly :lol2:

That's exactly how it feels. At times I think I'm talking to people, at least in my parts, where the real demand is for broken down bulls, with trich and foot rot. Overlook anything for a deal, right? "Just look at all the money I'm saving by purchasing a $1000 bull versus $3-5k bull" Oh well, WTF do I know? :bang:

Again, I'm not putting down any other breeds, I look at things from a different angle, and Angus has the brand, they have the marketing, and they usually bring the most money at auction. If that's a bad thing, I'll take it...

Don't let the nattering nay-bobs of negativity get ya down. Doesn't sound like they can anyway, just don't.

I'm looking forward to visiting your operation when the weather clears up.

You run the gamut of cattleman on here...commercial, seedstock,stockers, hobbiest ""careful how you use that one""..it's sorta like trying to preach the Gospel to Peter and Paul ,they just look at you and think,where you been..

TennesseeTuxedo":2lmfgh87 said:
*************":2lmfgh87 said:
ALACOWMAN":2lmfgh87 said:

Don't let the nattering nay-bobs of negativity get ya down. Doesn't sound like they can anyway, just don't.

I'm looking forward to visiting your operation when the weather clears up.

Your welcome here, hope to see you soon.

ALACOWMAN":20x045xx said:
You run the gamut of cattleman on here...commercial, seedstock,stockers, hobbiest ""careful how you use that one""..it's sorta like trying to preach the Gospel to Peter and Paul ,they just look at you and think,where you been..

I've said it many times, I respect the hustle of anyone who works hard on their herd to improve it, no matter what breed suits them best. I have my views and I voice them, but I also listen to what others have to say, because I learn things here on the forums. I'm not in the stage of my life where there is nothing left to learn, and I hope I never have that mentality.

*************":2c9sknuc said:
ALACOWMAN":2c9sknuc said:

For that kind of money you can buy bulls from Bridges Angus here in Georgia. https://bridgesangusfarmllc.com
Bridges Angus probably sells the best bulls for the money in Georgia. They even own and know how to use a knife.

1982vett":2yc8b46l said:

What I'd want to eat and what I'd buy aren't the same. I'd have to be spending your money to buy that or any t-bone. To much expensive bone. For the money if I had to buy either of buy the sirloin and make a pot of beef stew. :2cents:[/quote]

That's not a Tbone....just saying. :)

True Grit Farms":1mrvof5q said:
*************":1mrvof5q said:
ALACOWMAN":1mrvof5q said:

For that kind of money you can buy bulls from Bridges Angus here in Georgia. https://bridgesangusfarmllc.com
Bridges Angus probably sells the best bulls for the money in Georgia. They even own and know how to use a knife.

That's great!

True Grit Farms":2nk834fb said:
*************":2nk834fb said:
ALACOWMAN":2nk834fb said:

Also, I didn't know $3-5k was expensive for a registered Angus bull? I thought it was actually very affordable. The average bull at Schaff's is $14k, and that's still a bargain for what you get. BTW we have two SAV President 6847 sons available if you are interested. They are kinda hard to find right now.

You can buy them for 1k to 3K all day long here. EPDs and papers mean nothing to me. I want to see the bull with his working clothes on and the sires progeny.
If you want to get off some cash in this neck of the woods think Brangus.
I am a commercial cattleman I am looking to maximize hybrid vigor to mash scales.

Branded,
Please expain to me how the avg bull at Schaff's (14k) is $9000 better than the best bull at bridges (5k). I am a math guy so gonna need numbers..

*************":2iwc7jak said:
True Grit Farms":2iwc7jak said:
*************":2iwc7jak said:

Also, I didn't know $3-5k was expensive for a registered Angus bull? I thought it was actually very affordable. The average bull at Schaff's is $14k, and that's still a bargain for what you get. BTW we have two SAV President 6847 sons available if you are interested. They are kinda hard to find right now.

You can go to Florida and buy some right fine bulls for less than $3k with the same kind of breeding as yours. GAR influenced bulls seem to fit the best with where we're heading beef wise, and Wynn Brangus fits our management the best. You can buy some excellent bulls in Madison Georgia from Cooks Cattle Services, John is a good friend of mine and does all his own AI and ET himself. https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/A ... 892339223/

Do you consider SAV bulls capable of smashing the scales? I've never seen anything crossed around here have 205 or yearling weights that can even compare to what they produce and they are all Angus genetics.

By the way when a buyer comes over we make sure he or she can see the dam, and if natural service, the sire. No secrets, no surprises. Bright Raven will tell you that the terrain in this area of Kentucky is no walk in the park for cattle. They spend most of their time climbing hills.

jscunn":2d9i031d said:
Branded,
Please expain to me how the avg bull at Schaff's (14k) is $9000 better than the best bull at bridges (5k). I am a math guy so gonna need numbers..

Your paying for genetics, period! I think a lot of people who buy from them will agree. Also when an operation sells $8-10 million a year or more, and they have multiple sires in AI stud, donors with millions of dollars in progeny sales, and operations around the world buy your cattle, Argentina for example, then you may have something worth a closer look.

We don't try to reinvent the wheel, we breed to the best SAV sires, the calves look great, they wean big and thick, and when you go to sell them, it's a pedigree people trust.

I am sure that the operations you mentioned produce excellent cattle. There are plenty of cows to breed and plenty of bulls needed. I don't see anyone as competition, only myself, because I'm extremely hard on myself when it comes to constantly improving our genetics. I just prefer SAV over GAR. Some will disagree with me, but I think there is a world of difference between a $20k bull and a $1 million bull. I've bred to both and I see the difference, and it's noticeable.

Money can't change DNA, genetics. But money can buy feed that can make an animal grow to their potential. Those high dollar fancy bulls are front pasture types if their in the right environment and management. I don't feel we don't have the forage or time to see the benefits. A bull with decent EPD'S and moderate milk (25) works as good as anything else in this swamp.
What SAV bull that SS carries do you think is the best?

Latest posts