44 Farms partners with Walmart??

Help Support CattleToday:

If Walmart starts selling a premium brand of anything, doesn't that brand become worthless just because Walmart sells it?

shaz":ij0308ik said:
If Walmart starts selling a premium brand of anything, doesn't that brand become worthless just because Walmart sells it?

They sell Tide, Bounty, Coke, and Apple, I don't think those brands have suffered too much.

Caustic Burno":2kp9jzx3 said:
sim.-ang.king":2kp9jzx3 said:
I'm shocked you would allow the almighty brimmer to be diluted by such heathen breeds like char, and angus.

There are three essential breeds Angus,Brahman and Hereford the rest are just novelty.

I think it's purebred Angus, purebred Hereford, and purebred Shorthorns.

Angus is what I prefer because that is what we raise here, and I sincerely think it's the best overall breed for beef, but the other two breeds are excellent for high-quality beef as well. You could even cross any of the three with each other. If I did that I would go for the Angus/Shorthorn cross.

Read about the Australian beef industry, they have a lot of success with the Angus/Shorthorn cross.

A couple months ago I was discussing this subject with a producer around here that develops and sells grass-fed only Charolais. With all due respect to the Charolais community, I could take an AI son of Sydgen Enhance or Hoover Dam and one of my registered Angus cows, steer him, and it would be "game over" when comparing carcass quality. I've seen the steaks he produces and I would hands down prefer a grain finished, prime Angus ribeye, ANY DAY!

You be the judge, do you want to eat this grass fed Charolais

or this grain fed, prime Angus

ALACOWMAN":3vjmjpr1 said:
Personally I don't want to eat ""grass fed beef"" of any breed ..but they are folks that do..your comparison is too far apart..

It wasn't in the eyes of the guy I was talking with. He thought he had the best....I said..."Ok!"

*************":3rs9lv1p said:
Caustic Burno":3rs9lv1p said:
sim.-ang.king":3rs9lv1p said:
I'm shocked you would allow the almighty brimmer to be diluted by such heathen breeds like char, and angus.

There are three essential breeds Angus,Brahman and Hereford the rest are just novelty.

Angus is what I prefer because that is what we raise here, and I sincerely think it's the best overall breed for beef, but the other two breeds are excellent for high-quality beef as well. You could even cross any of the three with each other. If I did that I would go for the Angus/Shorthorn cross.

Read about the Australian beef industry, they have a lot of success with the Angus/Shorthorn cross.

A couple months ago I was discussing this subject with a producer around here that develops and sells grass-fed only Charolais. With all due respect to the Charolais community, I could take an AI son of Sydgen Enhance or Hoover Dam and one of my registered Angus cows, steer him, and it would be "game over" when comparing carcass quality. I've seen the steaks he produces and I would hands down prefer a grain finished, prime Angus ribeye, ANY DAY!

Do you retain ownership through slaughter? And if so what percentage of your steers grade prime?

shaz":zqsq5e2q said:
Don't know if it becomes worthless..but it sure gets a lot of traffic, from the low,middle and upper......though the uppers make a quick trip in and out...their the ones with sunglasses and hat...I think I'm gonna get with the Dollar General group and see about my CBB..certified Brahman beef..but I don't think the meth heads have the teeth for it... :cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":9jv2d8z8 said:
shaz":9jv2d8z8 said:
Don't know if it becomes worthless..but it sure gets a lot of traffic, from the low,middle and upper......though the uppers make a quick trip in and out...their the ones with sunglasses and hat. :cowboy:

Does Walmart support Country of Origen Labeling? Would be nice if Walmart would only buy U.S. beef.

True Grit Farms":3ptcb1kd said:
*************":3ptcb1kd said:
Caustic Burno":3ptcb1kd said:

Do you retain ownership through slaughter? And if so what percentage of your steers grade prime?

We don't have a steer operation, who knows it might grade lower, but my guess is that a cow with top 15% ribeye, marb, and $B EPD profile bred to SydGen Enhance would score better than average.

*************":f6wiet5m said:
Caustic Burno":f6wiet5m said:
sim.-ang.king":f6wiet5m said:

SH/ Angus cross is absolutely the worst cross for hybrid vigor followed by Hereford/SH.

http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare ... 78/unknown

Makes a pretty cow just doesn't maximize pounds.
I have ran my Angus bull on my neighbors SH/Herf crosses.

*************":2btb78cj said:
ALACOWMAN":2btb78cj said:
shaz":2btb78cj said:
Don't know if it becomes worthless..but it sure gets a lot of traffic, from the low,middle and upper......though the uppers make a quick trip in and out...their the ones with sunglasses and hat. :cowboy:

Does Walmart support Country of Origen Labeling? Would be nice if Walmart would only buy U.S. beef.
Heck if I know... I'm one of the lowers,that make a quick trip in and out...

Caustic Burno":o67cr5s6 said:
*************":o67cr5s6 said:
Caustic Burno":o67cr5s6 said:

SH/ Angus cross is absolutely the worst cross for hybrid vigor followed by Hereford/SH.

looks like their too simular in type too get that bang if heterosis..makes sense..

Caustic Burno":2ockfbfv said:
*************":2ockfbfv said:
Caustic Burno":2ockfbfv said:

Really? Are you going strictly for pounds or carcass quality?

https://shorthornbeef.com.au/shorthorn- ... ectacular/

I sell pounds, papers don't mash scales.
My buyers want black pounds. Your kidding yourself on anything else, it about converting grass to cash using a bovine.

"Greater than half of the cattle in the world are managed in tropical environments, while approximately 40% of beef cows in the United States are located in subtropical areas. Furthermore, approximately 80% of global beef production is Bos indicusbased. Given this, Bos indicus germplasm plays a critical role in both US and worldwide beef production particularly when used as part of a well-structured crossbreeding program.The decision of whether or not to utilize a particular strategic system of crossbreeding depends upon individual production goals. First must come the blinding realization that no one breed excels in all areas that lead to profitability. In order to take advantage of breed complementarity, breeds must be paired such that they excel in different areas that are critical to the overall production goals. The advantages of crossbreeding can be thought of as: 1) Taking advantage of breed complementarity, 2) Taking advantage of non-additive effects (dominance and epistasis) thus leading to heterosis (hybrid vigor)."

*************":2n5dw4nh said:
True Grit Farms":2n5dw4nh said:
*************":2n5dw4nh said:

We don't have a steer operation, who knows it might grade lower, but my guess is that a cow with top 15% ribeye, marb, and $B EPD profile bred to SydGen Enhance would score better than average.
Well GAR genetics is by far the leader in beef numbers, they've supposedly been breeding for beef since they began. We have programs through UGA for retained ownership, and GAR bred Angus win the beef challenge every time. Your sure toss prime and Angus around a lot for not retaining ownership. Do you put any of your bulls into the different bull tests and evaluation programs?

True Grit Farms":23t4sng3 said:
*************":23t4sng3 said:
True Grit Farms":23t4sng3 said:

Well GAR genetics is by far the leader in beef numbers, they've supposedly been breeding for beef since they began. We have programs through UGA for retained ownership, and GAR bred Angus win the beef challenge every time. Your sure toss prime and Angus around a lot for not retaining ownership. Do you put any of your bulls into the different bull tests and evaluation programs?

As Bright Raven said on another forum, bull tests, evaluation programs?? Good luck in Kentucky. It's like pulling teeth around here to discuss genetics. Some people here get it, and some are selling directly to feedlots out west, most use Angus bulls, they don't have a purebred Angus herd, but those folks are rare, and they definitely understand carcass quality. My clients sell to the stockyards, so it's lost in the shuffle. I would welcome bull tests and evaluation programs that producers really take seriously. I've tried to get my clients to focus on CAB, some are open to it, but the yards are a far easier alternative for them.

Let's consider this however.

The current steer market at Bluegrass looked like this. The report was dated 12-21-18.
100 head, 898 lb. $144 mostly black fancy. Average $1293.12 That doesn't look too bad to to me.

"Fancy" is a term for very high quality steers.
100 fancy steers could bring in approximately $130,000. Kentucky cattle producers have options but many won't put forth the effort and would rather complain about how bad the cattle market is, versus improving their genetics.

I toss around Angus and prime because first off we only raise registered Angus, secondly we can sell every bull we produce, why cut one to get X when you can keep him to 14-16 months and get 3.5X? Our entire herd is either HD50k or Angus Source tested and free of all known recessives in the Angus breed, we breed to AI sires that have excellent carcass traits and our cows aren't too shabby as well, so I feel confident that if we switched over to steers that we would have a significant percentage score prime.

FYI, I do my best to get my clients to improve their herds, most are trying hard to do it, they understand that quality steers bring bigger checks.

I'm in no way looking down on anyone's decision to use different breeds other than Angus, but 44 Farms didn't build their reputation and herd using inferior genetics. Just check out 44 Ruby 2357, if you want to see a real cow.

Latest posts