4 x 6 or 5 x 5 bales

Help Support CattleToday:

jd720

Reaction score
Just curious which bale will have more hay if they are both the same density ? I`m thinking there isn`t going to be much difference but what have you experienced ?

Supa Dexta":3qm5wx6h said:
And on a trailer two 4 footers fit side by side better than two 5's for road width.
Or through 11 foot gates

LauraleesFarm":32cud9ib said:
Around here, a 4 x 6 is really just a 4 x 5.5. Is this true in other places?

I never heard of a 5.5 diameter baler. Most modern balers are 6' diameter capacity. My Hesston will make a 6' bale but I set the monitor at 60" and only make them 5' to limit the weight. 5x5 bale weighs 1300+. That extra foot of hay in the outer part of the bale adds a lot of weight :idea:

All of this is really a mute point. It depends on the baler and how much pressure is on the belts. Theoretically Texasbred is right but in real world, it depends on the guy baling hay. My custom balers made me 5 X 5 that weighed more than his competitors 6X5's. Glenns 5x5 had my tractor doing wheelies all the way across the field. the 6x5. I ran level with a 6x5.

With the Vermeer baler we used to have, the tension was adjustable.
The John Deere 9 series baler we are using now is not at all adjustable, for the tension. It is set by the computer within the baler. So far that has not been a problem. The JD definitely has been a better baler. The one drawback being, you can't adjust the tension!

Secondly, regarding the 4 x 6 being really a 4 x 5.5 -- What I am saying is that even though a 4 x 6 baler will make a bale that measures 4 wide and 6 tall, most baler guys set the baler to only make it 5.5 tall instead of 6. That seems to be the way it is done around here. I am told that the reason is that it puts too much strain on the tractor to get that last 6" on the bale.

LauraleesFarm":8jn5qxqr said:
The John Deere 9 series baler we are using now is not at all adjustable, for the tension. It is set by the computer within the baler. So far that has not been a problem. The JD definitely has been a better baler. The one drawback being, you can't adjust the tension!

Secondly, regarding the 4 x 6 being really a 4 x 5.5 -- What I am saying is that even though a 4 x 6 baler will make a bale that measures 4 wide and 6 tall, most baler guys set the baler to only make it 5.5 tall instead of 6. That seems to be the way it is done around here. I am told that the reason is that it puts too much strain on the tractor to get that last 6" on the bale.

It's not strain on the tractor, it's strain on the baler if you make an oversized bale. I usually set my monitor on my 5x6 baler at 68" and by the time I get stopped in a heavy windrow, IT might be a 70" bale.

LauraleesFarm":3tm1vjzc said:

Please explain the tension adjustment...I was not aware that JD changed the tension adjustment on the 9 series???

I personally HATE a 4x6 bale they want to tip over in the field tgey dont stack well in the barn or on a trailer
I used to make some 4x5.5 just for some customers that wanted them
If I was baling for my self and feeding everything I was baling I would bale 5x6 or 6x6 bales

Rajela
The only explanation on the tension is that it is conputerized and not adjustable by the operator. This is our third year with this baler and no major problems so far with anything including density.

LauraleesFarm":3bc3bvxl said:
Rajela
The only explanation on the tension is that it is conputerized and not adjustable by the operator. This is our third year with this baler and no major problems so far with anything including density.

JD shows the bale tension to be the same as before on the 469 and 569 balers. The 459 and 559 tension is still hydraulic controlled but are preset and not adjustable.

http://www.deere.com/en_US/products/equ ... baler.page?

You guys have me second guessing my math skills. I have the 5' x 5' with more volume by almost 100? What am I doing wrong?

Well the New Holland I had I could adjust the tension, I made a 1800 lb 6X6. now the feed some cows. a whole lot less work when it came time to feed.

Oh back to the original Question a 4x6 will have 14.9 more cubit feet than a 5x5.

Volume = pi x radius2 x hieght
4 x 6
4 9 3.141592654 113.0973355
5 x 5
5 6.25 3.141592654 98.17477042

Bigfoot":1wsc6dqx said:
You guys have me second guessing my math skills. I have the 5' x 5' with more volume by almost 100? What am I doing wrong?
I'm not plagued by math skills. If you use the link I posted it will give you the right answer, then you can figure out your error from there.

4' x 6'
pie r squared times height

3.14 x 4 x 6= 75.36

3.14 x 6.25 x 5= 98.125

FINALLY!!!!! I guess I'm getting old.

Latest posts