4 wheeler starter

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
well after 14yrs the starter finally quit on my 500 rubicon honda matic 4x4 4 wheeler.boy is the price going to sting they want $506 for the starter and $50 to $100 to put it on.going to have to haul it in.so im going to have them do a complete service on it and put a new front tire on it.goodthing the cattle prices are up.

Have you checked online for it. I'm sure its cheaper. Why would you pay someone to do a simple starter swap.

i could get it cheaper online im pretty sure.but then id have to find a shop that would do it.plus the starter might not work.not going to bother with it as its going tobe a pain to get off and change.

bigbull338":283uov0c said:
well after 14yrs the starter finally quit on my 500 rubicon honda matic 4x4 4 wheeler.boy is the price going to sting they want $506 for the starter and $50 to $100 to put it on.going to have to haul it in.so im going to have them do a complete service on it and put a new front tire on it.goodthing the cattle prices are up.

Cattle might be high right now but who knows how long. If I could change it out I would but Iam a tight wald. I have a hard time paying someone to do something that I could have done.

bigfoot im on the fence about new verse rebuilt right now.the last time i had to put a starter on a 4 wheeler it was $400.now i could order a starter and have a jackleg change it out.but then i think if it goes out real fast then its a double expense.so im leaning to the new starter with the dealer.got to have write offs anyway.the bad thing is im spending my cow money lolol

The guy that works on my small engines/4 wheeler told me the other day, he couldn't buy a starter as nice as what he can rebuild. Not sure if he's right, but he seems knowledgeable.

Bigbull I understand writeoffs and if you put 5 starters this year they all could be written off. It's yours to do what you want . 250.bucks for starter and do it yourself v/s 600.00. Might not be much to money to you so go for it.

Rebuilt will be around 150 to 200 most likely.

eBay item number:141059720291 - Starter is $60 . Personally used many of these good quality starters . This is no more than 1 hour labor , more like 20 min job . Should be able to get a starter delivered and installed by a mechanic for less than $120 . Your estimate is way off

I go to extreme lengths to rebuild my own starters.. I never throw one out that has good parts on it.

One place I shop for parts is bikebandit.com. Have most of the stuff I need.
I once needed a clutch for my CBR1000 honda... the dealer wanted $450 for just the friction discs, and it would take 10 days to get it. I got the whole kit from Bikebandit for $80 and it was delivered to my door in 2 days.

BobbyLummus":2z96x7x8 said:
eBay item number:141059720291 - Starter is $60 . Personally used many of these good quality starters . This is no more than 1 hour labor , more like 20 min job . Should be able to get a starter delivered and installed by a mechanic for less than $120 . Your estimate is way off

I have 5 or 6 DB electrical starters in service here on the farm, and 3 in the woods in service as well as a few of their alternators.

No way would I pay 500 for a 60 dollar part.

Can't see paying someone to do something I can do. Bobby has the right idea, Ebay has a starter for $60.00.
If you can't put a starter on a 4 wheeler you need to go back to school.

My 2001 Honda Rancher starter quit last fall. I order a kit from Ebay as I remember around $15 that had new brushes included and repaired it myself. The starters are easy to get off and just solder the new parts in. It is the same starter as my Rancher has and they are easy to get off and on.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-350-400-4 ... 0c&vxp=mtr

Here is a picture as I didn't dowsize.
$T2eC16F,!)kFIeidRNhTBSRMILUZY!~~60_57.JPG

ga.prime":1uje8nc1 said:
Use the pull cord.
Come on gp. He's willing to spend 600 to fix it.
That's what us common folks do. I guess he could hire someone to come over and pull start it.

Latest posts