4-H project leader

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
Well went to 4-H meeting and no one wants to be the beef project leader. Seems the old one was arrested for embezzlement :shock: . The kids want to show there animals off again this year but no one would step up to the plate to help them out. My wife and daughter both have convinced me to TRY this. Dont know how much help I will be but we all made it through the fair last year with no help from that LEADER. Wanting to give kids a fair chance at things. Last year was horrible no leadership from project leader at all not one meeting! Everyone wants me to do this so last night I called club leader and went over and piced up the backround ck forms to fill out. I bet I make someone mad before it is all over next year. May be asking some stupid newbe questions hope to get some suggetions if I need them :) . Old leader didnt even have his steers broke to lead all that well pulled kid around ring during show and almost hurt him and kicked side of truck going to wash rack.Well I will try to help out.JHH

JHH":3cpu61a4 said:
I bet I make someone mad before it is all over next year.JHH

Been there, done that.

Don't let the parents get to you, your there to help the kids.
Just get ready for the comments of "It's your fault that my son/daughter's calf didn't win" Just let it all roll off your back. There's always some in a club that will bictch and gripe about everything. Just keep reminding yourself that your there to help the kids.

Good Luck.

Best advice I can give: Hire your judge early. If you wait, you will spend forever on the phone trying to get somebody.

We had a leader that was the prime example for what a leader shood be in 4-H club. We have an extremely competitive regional show, anually there are 250 to 300 steers, 100 heifers, and about 30 cow calfs. And our club won it 9 times in the last 10 i believe. Anyways, He was pretty good. Doesnt make much sense to phone canada from missouri, but oh well.

You do not have to be an expert - all you need is ethics, morals, dedication and enthusiasm. Let the kids do the work.

I say go for it and have fun - ask the dumb questions and let us all laugh along side of you - yeah, and sometimes at you!!

:D

As a side note - contact your regional 4H rep - s/he will have lots of advice for you.

:clap:

Have fun,

Bez'

Bez is right make it fun for the kids and yourself and it will all fall into place. Ask those questions. Only dumb one is one not asked.

Hill 70":42lkn4er said:
Doesnt make much sense to phone canada from missouri, but oh well.

AT&T One Rate! ;-) 25.00 dollars a month, unlimited long distance calling. I'm pretty sure Canada is included. Sprint also has a program that does the same thing. :D

You can have meetings on :
Halter breaking
Feeding
Hair care
Showmanship
Clipping
Equipment
Health care
Lots of stuff to have meetings on. Also, always fun for kids to have trips to other successful farms.
Even if you are not expertise in the subjects, there are always breeders out there willing to come to your meetings & demonstrate or talk.
Go for it - lots of fun working with the kids.

One thing that works well - have a couple of folks who are judges come in NOW - well before the show and sale time.

Have them tell the kids what they as judges like to see - gives the kids lots of time to get ready for their own show and it gives them something to shoot for on sale day.

Bez'

Thanks for all the ideas and support will probably need some advice later. Filled forms out and they will be sent off. Talked to some people around here and they are all for it as well as the kids. Going to try and make it fun for the kids as well as me :D .JHH

What ever you do dont be like our leader. He is a A** Hole he does not care about anything. You hardly ever see him at the shows and he is doing other things besides his job. When he is at the show he says no acohol guess what he brings. Walking around the barn with a bud light in his hand. Talking to everybody.

SCfarms":2s3ufcuq said:
What ever you do dont be like our leader. He is a A** Hole he does not care about anything. You hardly ever see him at the shows and he is doing other things besides his job. When he is at the show he says no acohol guess what he brings. Walking around the barn with a bud light in his hand. Talking to everybody.

At least your leader was there,ours came droped off his sons steers (3) and left and did not see him or his boy again till 3 days later when all the cleanup work was just about done.Everyone else in the barn took care of the steers,they didnt even come by to check on them :mad: His boy did show them so I guess I did see him twice the whole time.All the other kids needed some help with different thing so my wife and I helped out as much as we could.SOME THINGS WILL BE DIFFERENT THIS YEAR, but still want to make it fun for the kids.JHH

well im new to this web site and if i say anything wrong or offensive just say so ...but i have been the beef project leader for about5 or 6 years now in my 4-H club and i am involed in beef projects so if you need some help or have any questions just email me at [email protected] :D

Latest posts