Iowa State Fair Champion 4-H Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

SPH

Reaction score
This is not my animal but I am thrilled for the owners as this is the first time ever since the Iowa State Fair started naming a supreme champion 4-H breeding heifer in the late 1990's that a Hereford has won! She is a fine looking heifer too, she is bred and owned and won the national junior show this year too so got to feel happy for this kid to have raised the best heifer in the state and possibly the best Hereford heifer in the country.

1001577_427985463976718_1255222075_n.jpg

The Herefords had the top sale average at the Winter Beef Expo and hopefully the success the breed has had lately carries over to another fine sale this coming winter. I remember showing Herefords as a junior in the 1990's and had a really good heifer 1 year that I had success with at several big shows including winning the breed grand champion at Ak-Sar-Ben and the senior heifer division at the American Royal but even at our county fair a judge couldn't get past the fact she wasn't black and picked a crossbred as supreme champion over my purebred Polled Hereford and that crossbred heifer could not even win her own class at the state fair just a month later. Looks like times are changing and the breed is finally being recognized for the quality animals it is producing