new 4-h project

Help Support CattleToday:

longhornlover3498

Reaction score
so i am new to 4-h this year and i have some projects i would like to do with cattle. i'm going to do the breeding heifer and the market steer. i would also like to show my b. maximizer bull calf but i dont know if i can. my heifer calf was born in september and will wean in february. her mom is beaulah, a longhorn cow and dad is a black maximizer. she is black with a white star on her face and a white hoof. i havent found a meat steer yet as all of mine are bulls and are sold already. i wouldve liked to have shown one of mine though because my calves are extremly growthy. i need some advice though because i havent ever done this before.

In 4-H, a junior cannot show a bull unless it's under 6 months of age.
What kind of advice are you looking for? There should be a 4-H beef club in your area. Contact the local extension office & they will know.

thats too bad i guess i cant show him. i would like advice on how the animals should be handled and what would the best growing diet would be. also whats the most popular breed in 4-h besides angus?

Are you already in a 4-H club? If so, your 4-H extension agent and club manager would probably be the best people to talk to about your goals and what type or breed of cattle would be best for you to show. They will give you the resources and help in raising your project too.
It is very helpful if you have a mentor who can help you hands on.

This is the link to help you find your county 4-H info: http://www.4-h.org/get-involved/find-4-h-clubs-camps-programs/

Most popular breeds around here are Angus, Hereford & Simmental.
HALTER BREAKING CALVES without brute strength
Confine them.
Hand feed them their hay & grain (I mean go into their pen & put their feed down) Walk around them, cleaning their pen, etc. After a few days of hand feeding, put them in the chute & put a halter on them. Let them drag it for several days. Put calf in a small enclosed area. Use a showstick to "touch" them. Use it to scratch them. As they get accustomed to you being close enough to touch them with the showstick, work your way closer & scratch with your hand. Then you can pick up the end of the halter & let them run/walk in circles around you. Do NOT try to pull or stop them. They will stop (usually in the same "safety" spot). Scratch with showstick. When they seem calm, you can slightly tug on the rope halter, at first, just trying to get them to turn their head, then, try to get them to take a step. NEVER NEVER play tug of war with them UNLESS you are strong enough to WIN! I am NOT.
Generally, I can bring new calves in, let them drag halter for a few days, while I hand feed & get them used to me being in & out of their pen. I usually tie another halter to the end of their dragged halter, so I have more space to "hang on" to them, while they run in circles. If I spend an hour with one in a small pen using the showstick, I can usually get them so I can hand scratch them a little & get them to take a few steps toward me. After I do that a few times, I put their feed down & quietly tie them (to a very secure spot) and leave them alone (observing them all the time from a distance). After a few times being tied, I tie them to same spot, then put their feed in another spot (close - like the other side of the small pen). I quietly untie them & walk them to their feed, always making sure they are CALM when I untie them. Works great. I never leave them tied for more than about an hour during training.

Feeding: If you want to be competitive, you need to feed grain. I feed whole shell corn, with some protein pellets. When you start a calf on grain, you feed 1% of their body weight (500# calf can have 5# of grain - 2.5# am & 2.5# pm) After 1 week, you can increase the grain by another 1% - IF they are cleaning up what you feed them. Up to 3% of their body weight.
As far as how much you should/need to feed depends on the condition of the calf when you start. Usually, I start my show calves while they are still nursing. I lock the calves in the barn, away from their dam during the day & they go out with dam at night. They probably never get more than about 3#/day to start and might get up to 6#-8#.
They need fresh GOOD grass hay & water at all times.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":igf9lfmz said:
In 4-H, a junior cannot show a bull unless it's under 6 months of age.
What kind of advice are you looking for? There should be a 4-H beef club in your area. Contact the local extension office & they will know.
Not everywhere, in our state you can show up to a year old in 4-H and jr.
just check and see what it says for your state longhornlover3498

ok. thats very good advice. when i put the steer in the corral i'm going to put a spotted steer and the bull that i wanted to show originally with him. does halter training affect the bulls breeding performance? i would have liked to have him halter broken.

Halter broke bulls are much better to have around than non-halter broke bulls. Got 3 bulls right now that I can catch and load on a trailer, or move to another pasture with a halter. Some bulls take lots of love and care to break, and some after a couple times getting tied up they are broke, and if you put a ring in their nose they are even easier to handle. :D :nod:

Good luck

I don't show, have owned two halter broke bulls in my life. One right now. They are gentle. No doubt about it.

Longhornlover, there are a few places in Wyoming you could find a calf for your fair: http://www.showsteers.com/NAV/Listings% ... tm#Wyoming
When selecting a calf for a market project it is best to start with disposition, if they seem like they are docile, not bouncing of the walls and deciding you how they are going to hurt you, you want to start from the ground up, you want the toes to point in the same direction, you want them to be square at all 4 corners (square stance not narrow or blown out), avoid joints that are to strait, or weak. Once you are through with the legs go to the body, start from the back and work your way forward, hooks and pins are level, muscle carries into the lower quarter, They need to be deep bodied, topline is level, shoulders are smooth, You want the neck to have some extinction and free of excess leather (extra loose skin). The final and most important thing, they need to look balanced, you do not want them look like they were put together from 2 different calves. You want them to have muscle and some bone, you do not want them to be fine boned.
Find a calf you are happy with and then work hard getting him ready that is all you can do. Brushing, rinsing, feeding, working with them daily. There are several past post on this site as well as Steerplanet.com that could help you with thing like daily routines, feeding, and more.

Things to look for in project calf
Rear and top
100_1524.JPG

Balance
DSCN1239_800x600_.jpg

Clean necked
DSCN1242_800x600_.jpg

Great body, bone and power but to much leather and needed de horned
DSCN1251_800x600_.jpg

Those are really some nice steers! my grandfather still hasn't talked to my cousin about his calf. I wanted to trade his calf for a heifer. His calf is outstanding! He is the biggest out of the calves, black, polled, docile and well put together. His mama, dairy queen, is half longhorn and half red angus. His sire is a black maximizer. I really want to use him but I don't know if my cousin will trade...if not the calves in wyoming sound nice.