3 breakdowns in 12 hours

Help Support CattleToday:

JMichal

Reaction score
I have allways heard some things happen in threes. I certainly hope it is true with breakdowns. I have a 2006 JD 6415 with 350 hours blew a power steering line while baling yesterday at 4 PM, they came out and fixed it by 8 PM. Back to work. Vermeer 604L Baler broke clutch on pickup at 9 PM. Came out this AM and fixed by 10AM. Baled 1 Bale and rain came. While they were fixing baler I was moving Hay with 40 HP Kubota. Blew Hydraulic line from pump to joystick. I fixed that by noon. Got hay that was baled in barn only 6 got a little wet. Only have about 4 bales worth of windrows that got rained on. Time to start cutting more tommorrow. I hope i'm done with breakdowns for awhile. Next week I get to breakout the old New Holland square baler. That should be real fun. It took all last summer to get it right. I HOPE IT'S RIGHT. Life on the farm could drive a man to drinkin.

I hear ya. I bought all "new" used haying equipment this year and I kinda have butterflies in my stomach for the start of haying. I've tested everything and it all seems good but...

JMichal":223wqu5c said:
I have allways heard some things happen in threes. I certainly hope it is true with breakdowns. I have a 2006 JD 6415 with 350 hours blew a power steering line while baling yesterday at 4 PM, they came out and fixed it by 8 PM. Back to work. Vermeer 604L Baler broke clutch on pickup at 9 PM. Came out this AM and fixed by 10AM. Baled 1 Bale and rain came. While they were fixing baler I was moving Hay with 40 HP Kubota. Blew Hydraulic line from pump to joystick. I fixed that by noon. Got hay that was baled in barn only 6 got a little wet. Only have about 4 bales worth of windrows that got rained on. Time to start cutting more tommorrow. I hope i'm done with breakdowns for awhile. Next week I get to breakout the old New Holland square baler. That should be real fun. It took all last summer to get it right. I HOPE IT'S RIGHT. Life on the farm could drive a man to drinkin.

What you don't have all the fun, and do your own repairs? You just don't know what you are missing. ;-)

We started baling our rye, still don't have it done, baler problems, etc.. all part of haying for sure.

GMN

I thought I had all my old raggely equipment band aided up enough to last the hay season this year. One cutting and I was sitting in the field with one dead tractor, one dead mower, and one dead baler. Managed to finish somehow. Mowers fixed (start mowing again saturday), Tractor may be terminal, Baler fixin starts after mowing Saturday.

JMichal":2ufron4j said:
Life on the farm could drive a man to drinkin.

Too Late!!

The Bachelor":e901ohjy said:
I thought I had all my old raggely equipment band aided up enough to last the hay season this year. One cutting and I was sitting in the field with one dead tractor, one dead mower, and one dead baler. Managed to finish somehow. Mowers fixed (start mowing again saturday), Tractor may be terminal, Baler fixin starts after mowing Saturday.

JMichal":e901ohjy said:
Life on the farm could drive a man to drinkin.

Too Late!!

Yeah. waht he said

Started mowing tues eve, got to the field tractor hung in reverse,fixed it,wed morn,broke section and gaurd,fixed it,wed afternoon,broke pittman arm,fixed it twice and cut my thumb to the bone, aint life grand

newrancher":rgx5jzly said:
Started mowing tues eve, got to the field tractor hung in reverse,fixed it,wed morn,broke section and gaurd,fixed it,wed afternoon,broke pittman arm,fixed it twice and cut my thumb to the bone, aint life grand

Sounds like us and last night, gobs of problems with the haybine, and only just started.

Gail

I cut about 4 hr this afternnoon. Start early tomorrow and cut all day. Dad will tedd. And rake. I'll bale. I may not be here much for the next 4/5 days. Make hay while the sun shines. I hope I'll have 250 tons of good hay when I'm done. And maybe time for a nap. I hope nothing breaks.

Proverbs 12:10":1usjzyeg said:
Seems like everytime I'm about to get into the hayin business and buy some equipment I read a thread like this one and back off :(
When you see someone covered in sweat,holding his thumb, and cursing a blue streak THAT IS THE TIME TO BUY HAY EQUIPMENT.

Neighbor down the road bought a brand new baler and got his hay ready to bale. a week and 5 service calls from the dealer laterr and they had baled half a dozen bales. We went down and baled it for him a couple of days ago andd he's still waiting for the dealer to show up with either the needed parts or a truck to haul it back and give him his money back.

dun

dun":2pz5xwg5 said:
Neighbor down the road bought a brand new baler and got his hay ready to bale. a week and 5 service calls from the dealer laterr and they had baled half a dozen bales. We went down and baled it for him a couple of days ago andd he's still waiting for the dealer to show up with either the needed parts or a truck to haul it back and give him his money back.

dun

What baler did he buy?

cfpinz

cfpinz":39sif5yh said:
dun":39sif5yh said:

dun

What baler did he buy?

cfpinz

I ain;t naming names

dun

dun":30250bu8 said:
cfpinz":30250bu8 said:
dun":30250bu8 said:

dun

What baler did he buy?

cfpinz

I ain;t naming names

dun

Must be green! :p :p :p

cfpinz

Nope, not green. But a neighbors blue tractor just caught fire and burned to a metal hulk this afternoon. New tractor, fire started in the starter.

dun

I sold my 20 year old green baler this spring. I had bought a yellow rebel that was supposed have been put through the dealers shop last fall. We had the hay cut and started to bale. The baler would turn with no hay. When we got about a half of a bale in it it quit. The ninety degree gear box on the baler had the out put shaft broke and the splined shaft on the cross shaft messed up and broke. The reason a couple of set screws were not in the shaft collars. Ordered the parts early Tuesday morning. No parts yet. Parts man said maybe Tuesday of the next week. I e-mailed Vermeer and told them they would need to do better on the parts. I guess Brown comvinced them they did not need the warehouse in Dallas and could save big bucks. Well so much for the bean counters at Vermeer. I will repair the baler at my cost and try to finish this year and go Green next year. Never had to wait until the next day for parts when I was Green.

dun":hggglxyp said:
Nope, not green. But a neighbors blue tractor just caught fire and burned to a metal hulk this afternoon. New tractor, fire started in the starter.

dun

I hear what your saying about blue. Thats my baler and.... wait, its an old 532 and 35 years old. Hmmm, the tractor is green and its 57 years old...... and my mower is red... its around 70 years old....

You just can't get good name brand stuff.... Wheres the Farmtrac dealer....

Latest posts