$3.00 a gallon regular unleaded

Help Support CattleToday:

rgv4

Reaction score
Inside sources say it's going to go this high or higher in Texas. What do you guys think?

It jumped quite a bit today on open trading after the BP Amoco explosion yesterday.

Already getting lots of calls for horses....from out of state! Guess folks don't mind "chargining it!" In Tulsa yesterday it was 2.13 and 2.07 for diesel--if memory serves me (usually pretty disobedient!)

Get ready, the only way to bring prices down is curtail driving. Demand has outgrown supply, we have had 12 million barrels a day refining capacity since the early 1980's. As long as demand is greater than supply the moon is the limit until then. Think about it drive by any High school parking lot full of new cars. This country has went from 1 car families in the fifties 2 car families in the seventies, to 3 or 4 car families now. People used to live close to work due to urban flight people now commute long distances to work.

Speaking of the high school parking lot....The neighbors 2 boys follow the big yellow bus to school every morning, in seperate cars. The past 4 months have been bad around here for people pulling into your yard and filling their gas tank from your barrel at night. The dairy 2 miles away put up a camera, and caught an old man filling both pickup tanks and the tank in the back. $2.19 for unleaded here yesterday.

diesel here is $2.42/gal and reg unleaded is $2.20/gal or so. its gettin ugly. course, you drive 60 miles west of here and prices drop about $.30 for everything.

Last check diesel was DOWN to $2.63 a gal it was $2.85 last week.
Don't remember what unleaded was at. Seems it was around $1.97/ gal.

Even with the 30 miles a gallon I get with me diesel it now costs me nearly $40 to fill up my tank. It just makes me so sick.

it always makes me wonder why when stuff like this happens they continue to shut down refineries. they tore down 2 in this area because of OSHA and the tree huggers.

Campground Cattle":22f0jn73 said:
Well until the EPA gets off the oil industry and more refining capacity gets built in this country get used to it.

I agree with you. Refining capacity is the problem ....... of course you know that better than me ........ you being from the industry.

Dee":5djaappj said:
Speaking of the high school parking lot....The neighbors 2 boys follow the big yellow bus to school every morning, in seperate cars. The past 4 months have been bad around here for people pulling into your yard and filling their gas tank from your barrel at night. The dairy 2 miles away put up a camera, and caught an old man filling both pickup tanks and the tank in the back. $2.19 for unleaded here yesterday.
Mother inlaw had trouble with fuel theft and couldn't catch the guy. Swapped the barrels on the stands, then swapped labels, problem went away short time later. :D

Wren - What kind of vehicle are you deiving to use diesel and get 30 mpg and only cost you $40 to fill up? I need one of those I guess. Mine get 12 mph when I get my foot out of it and last time I filled up it was $83.00 That makes my purse sick!

Problem with gasoline is that it is regionally refined. California and Colorado gas, for example, is much different than TX gas in the refinement to meet state statutes. Problem is adding capacity is easier said than done. Don't see prices going down anytime soon with regionalized refineries.

Also, most refiners are grandfathered in certain environmental quality standards set up way back when. Building new plants to meet requirements is costly and at the end of the day, what is the incentive for oil companies and refiners to do that. Price and demand are high, supply is low. Simple economics.

sidney411":202ue2or said:
Wren - What kind of vehicle are you deiving to use diesel and get 30 mpg and only cost you $40 to fill up? I need one of those I guess. Mine get 12 mph when I get my foot out of it and last time I filled up it was $83.00 That makes my purse sick!

It's just a little thing. It's an old 1985 Dodge Ram D50. 4 cylinder turbo diesel engine. I paid $1,700 for it a year and a half ago and I love it. It only can haul 8 bales of hay but it's a good working rig.

I've got the F350 for the big jobs. But the dodge works good for the little ones.

TXCOWBOY":w2sbnpop said:
Problem with gasoline is that it is regionally refined. California and Colorado gas, for example, is much different than TX gas in the refinement to meet state statutes. Problem is adding capacity is easier said than done. Don't see prices going down anytime soon with regionalized refineries.

Also, most refiners are grandfathered in certain environmental quality standards set up way back when. Building new plants to meet requirements is costly and at the end of the day, what is the incentive for oil companies and refiners to do that. Price and demand are high, supply is low. Simple economics.

That is not quite right as most gasoline is produced in a few regions of the country the gasoline is blended and shipped in to the different areas of country. We used to make 3 grades now we make dozens for the different regions to meet government specs.
You are correct as the old refineries are granfathered to a point, we shutdown several refineries because it was not profitable to upgrade to meet the government benzene emissions standards.

Camp, how about Gas to Liquid technology? Is it viable? Economic?

ollie":2nyhuwc8 said:
Camp, how about Gas to Liquid technology? Is it viable? Economic?

Not really at this time Ollie is all the same. It take X pounds of fuel to move X pounds down the road. This is the reason people think there diesel gets better mileage than gasoline. This is not true as diesel is based on a c-16 hydrocarbon and gasoline a c-8 hydrocarbon.
Diesel has 160 mbtus per gallon gas 125 mbtus per gallon. To liquidfy nat gas a c-1 or ethane a c-2 is costly and brings a whole new set of safety problems. It still gets back to pounds of fuel I hope I was able to explain this in a way you can understand.

To explain gasoline weighs six pounds to the gallon versus diesel at eight.
You have to buy 4 gallons of gasoline to equal 3 of diesel = the same pounds of fuel, now you can compare apples to apples.

Campground Cattle":2ybw6qxz said:
To explain gasoline weighs six pounds to the gallon versus diesel at eight.
You have to buy 4 gallons of gasoline to equal 3 of diesel = the same pounds of fuel, now you can compare apples to apples.
Thanks Camp. That explains it much better for me.

Latest posts