28 days Butchering & LA200

Help Support CattleToday:

garnetann

Reaction score
Why do you have to wait 28 days before butchering a cow after a round of LA200?

They can and do, although I do not know the frequency of samples or if it's a standard procedure in a slaughter cow plant. I talked with a small local packer about the wait period and the temperature requirements a couple of months ago. He said he'd wait a few extra days in case they would happen to test, just to make sure. So, it happens.

Be aware that if you didn't follow the label instructions - more than 10ml per injection site, or if you treated more than once - then you could potentially have excessive residues beyond the 28 day point. Those slaughter withdrawal recommendations are based on proper administration of a single treatment.
For example - I see folks on this board advocating the use of banamine(flunixin), just like it was candy. Approved route of administration is by intravenous injection - how many of y'all are giving it that way? Not many, I'll bet.
Slaughter withdrawal for a single IV dose of banamine is 4 days. If you give it IM (not recommended, nor is it an approved route), a single IM dose extends that recommended slaughter withdrawal period out to at least 30 days; if you gave more than one dose IM...who knows how long you'd need to wait.

Lucky_P":2er86ilr said:
Be aware that if you didn't follow the label instructions - more than 10ml per injection site, or if you treated more than once - then you could potentially have excessive residues beyond the 28 day point. Those slaughter withdrawal recommendations are based on proper administration of a single treatment.
For example - I see folks on this board advocating the use of banamine(flunixin), just like it was candy. Approved route of administration is by intravenous injection - how many of y'all are giving it that way? Not many, I'll bet.
Slaughter withdrawal for a single IV dose of banamine is 4 days. If you give it IM (not recommended, nor is it an approved route), a single IM dose extends that recommended slaughter withdrawal period out to at least 30 days; if you gave more than one dose IM...who knows how long you'd need to wait.

That's good to know.

we would butcher her for ourselves for our own use. We thought she had footrot. We got her in, cleaned her foot, and gave her a good dose of LA200. When she was in, she kicked the back of the chute really hard, so wondered if she hurt her foot as she never stopped limping. I am more worried about the taste of the meat, and what kind of residue is left behind, would it make us sick. FYI, we cannot get close to her, and never were able to get her in again, even with the bad foot, she climbed the fence to get away. She is a mean ol' bitch, will be glad to be rid of her...

You wouldn't 'taste' anything, and unless someone in your family were allergic or intolerant of the tetracycline class of antibiotics, there'd really be no danger in consuming the meat before the approved slaughter withdrawal date - but FDA regulations preclude slaughtering - for public sale/consumption - treated animals which have not yet reached the end of the stated withdrawal period.

Latest posts