butchering after vaccinating

Help Support CattleToday:

garnetann

Reaction score
We have a cow we know will be culled. We are also vaccinating and pouring them. Is there any withdrawal period or anything before selling her?

Why would you vaccinate a cow you know you are going to cull? Will this cow be going to the "kill" market or trying to be sold as a bred cow? If she will be killed, then the ethical thing to do would be to wait on the withdrawal period and it will be listed on the label.

TN Cattle Man":2ckozxrw said:
Why would you vaccinate a cow you know you are going to cull? Will this cow be going to the "kill" market or trying to be sold as a bred cow? If she will be killed, then the ethical thing to do would be to wait on the withdrawal period and it will be listed on the label.
Correct answer

Honestly, two reasons. One, I don't know when she will be sold. Second, she could be bred, I really don't know now without a blood test. She has had a calf every year, she is about 8 years old. Great mom, no problems. She has not cycled since last year, but she came up empty this year with no calf. I was ready to call it open after I preg checked her after her due date, since I could not find a full-term calf. So we called the vet, he checked her and wondered if she was still in first term. He said if she is not cycling, she may still be pregnant. So he checked her, said she may be in her first term. But she has not been with a bull since last July, to my knowledge. (fence jumpers and all...) Or her uterus is doing something weird to cause her to not cycle and not be pregnant. I don't know.

Latest posts