25 Holstein calves

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Somebody just offered me (for a VERY reasonable price) 25 Holstein Bulls, all one week old.

I am not sure if I am up to that much milk replacer, buckets, work (I am all alone), and whatnot. I do have a new loafing shed/pole barn that is 20' x 48' that I could keep them in until I could turn them out to pasture.

Any thoughts? In all honesty I have never raised a calf this young, let alone 25.

I do have time and pasture for them once they are onto grass however.

Give me some advice folks!

Bill

[email protected]

Is it an all or nothing deal? If possible I would start (for the first time) with maybe 4 or 5, this would give you an idea of what is involved. Normally for bottle/bucket calves we figure one 50 lb sack of milk replacer per calf. Top quality milk replacer, the only kind to mess with, runs 40 to 45 bucks a bag. Granted you don;t have to cough it all up up front but by the time the guys are weaned it's a hell of an expense. Calf starter ain't cheap either. Just thoughts

dunmovin farms

> Somebody just offered me (for a
> VERY reasonable price) 25 Holstein
> Bulls, all one week old.

> I am not sure if I am up to that
> much milk replacer, buckets, work
> (I am all alone), and whatnot. I
> do have a new loafing shed/pole
> barn that is 20' x 48' that I
> could keep them in until I could
> turn them out to pasture.

> Any thoughts? In all honesty I
> have never raised a calf this
> young, let alone 25.

> I do have time and pasture for
> them once they are onto grass
> however.

> Give me some advice folks!

> Bill

For my 4-H Holstein calf I spent $49.95 for a 50lb bag of replacer and $34.00 on 250lbs(that may be abit more than what most people feed) of calf starter.

My step dad tells a story of when he was going to make some money off of them little suckers he bought 12 and lost 14. 2 of his beef calves died some thing to think about

Latest posts