24-d and clover

Help Support CattleToday:

From recommendations I've seen depending on the rate of application it runs 3-5 days all the way to 7-14 days. I've alwasy just waited a week to 10 days with all herbicides othr then Grazon.

Gotcha my plans are lightly disc up a few areas where scratches up the dirt a lil bit burn it really good with 24d then wait disc up a lil more then cover with ky31 and ladino clover but I tell ya I may not plant clover I plant my ky 31 so heavy it chokes out weeds and clover thats what it seems I will have to do to keep weeds at bay.

Clover planted too heavily can choke out even fescue, I have one field that it happened in. As the clover petered out over the years the fescue is coming back but the weeds are coming back even better

Dun, This pasture is truly covered in fescue with some bigs of clover do you think i should saturate the area which is about 20 feet wide and 30 feet long with clover and not add any fescue just so the cattle have a good amount of clover they can munch on since most of the pasture is ky31 and some orchard grass?

I'm spraying some new growth white clover with 2-4-d ester really heavy and not having a problem. I would plant now.

skyhightree1":yxlwogfa said:
Dun, This pasture is truly covered in fescue with some bigs of clover do you think i should saturate the area which is about 20 feet wide and 30 feet long with clover and not add any fescue just so the cattle have a good amount of clover they can munch on since most of the pasture is ky31 and some orchard grass?
I would just do the clover and after the fescue is eaten down the clover should be able to take off pretty well, IF you get enough rain

Thanks dun I will go get about 12 lbs of clover and put it in that area lol that should be enough to choke any weeds out... Hopefully

TennesseeTuxedo":137oid6z said:
Isn't it getting a tad late in the year to plant clover?
Agree with TennesseeTuxedo I was told not to plant clover past the first of April or within 30 days of spraying but that's just my :2cents:. I planted 2 pounds of red and four pounds of white per acre. But do what works best for you in your area. :)

JenkinsFarm7":homrv7l7 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":homrv7l7 said:
Agree with TennesseeTuxedo I was told not to plant clover past the first of April or within 30 days of spraying but that's just my :2cents:. I planted 2 pounds of red and four pounds of white per acre. But do what works best for you in your area. :)

Really? whenever I overseed I plant atleast 15 lbs per acre of cinnamon and ladino but not sure why cause i burn it and kill it.

skyhightree1":ll9s76fr said:
JenkinsFarm7":ll9s76fr said:
TennesseeTuxedo":ll9s76fr said:

Really? whenever I overseed I plant atleast 15 lbs per acre of cinnamon and ladino but not sure why cause i burn it and kill it.
I might be planting the minimum not real sure.

I just try to do 3 or 4 times the minimum because not all seeds will germinate so thats what I do good bad or indifferent lol

No problem.Ive seen some of your fields and it looks like you definitely know what you're doing. More than me.

lol no I just probably have more time on my hands for trial and error... Once I get weeds under control I normally saturate the field with grass seed and clover which can take a few years to do so.

lol no I just probably have more time on my hands for trial and error... Once I get weeds under control I normally saturate the field with grass seed and clover which can take a few years to do so.

Latest posts