2018 Writeoff Toys

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefeater

Reaction score
Early on this year I was determined on getting a good set of pallet forks for my loader. However, between discussions of converting everything to a quick attach and not finding an affordable used set I talked myself into a new disc mower after spending a miserable day working on a 40 year old moco on its last leg. I'm strictly a hobbyist and could never justify this cost financially, but WOW - my hobby just became even more enjoyable! Might even try to pick up a few additional acres to hay...

Also picked up a good used rear blade recently. Never even used one until last year. Can't believe I wasted so much time in the past using my loader bucket trying to scrape and level. Almost feel a bit foolish now!

What did y'all treat yourselves to this year?

far too much.. I "holidayed" at my friends place near the big city and bought too much stuff.
Of note, I bought a 7.5kw Mitsubishi diesel generator that does 120-480V, 1ph or 3ph, Never fired for $1100 USD.. I have to make a skid for it and fiddle a little, it was just the engine and genny, no controls, no mounts.. but it'll be a great little backup unit, or if I need 3ph for something I can use it as well

I had a hard time repairing all the tore up stuff so nothing left for anything new.
Drilled a new well and 3 water tanks on the farm so guess that's a good write off.

Nesikep":1fmw09jg said:
Didn't even have diesel in the injector lines

CB, that's a nice little unit!

Thanks having 3 branches and one creek all spring fed on my place, lighter is better sometimes. Some of my pastures won't take the weight of 60 hp tractors until June.
It replaced a 1977 245 DT.
Neighbor is still running the 77 model sold my 77 Massey this year as well.

I'm with Kenny. By the time I fixed everything I already had, there wasn't any $ left. I think this is the first year in a long time that I didn't by any farm equipment. I did buy another herd of cows in April. Kept 27 and sold the rest. Only bought 1 gun this year as well. I think I should have bought 27 guns and 1 cow!

I am rebuilding the old corral next spring. So this week I bought 3 bundles of railroad ties for the posts. When it is all done I will have my squeeze chute that was a write off a couple years ago set up and the old sorry one that is here will be gone.

Dave":3jmgnu1l said:
I am rebuilding the old corral next spring. So this week I bought 3 bundles of railroad ties for the posts. When it is all done I will have my squeeze chute that was a write off a couple years ago set up and the old sorry one that is here will be gone.
I think your writeoff beats us all, combined (buying the ranch)

callmefence":3mj68usu said:
I don't think your supposed to write of toys or Hobby's.

As long as you are doing schedule F and it has something to do with the operation you can write it off. Writing off a new rifle because you might shoot a coyote with it would be very questionable. Writing off a quad which may be used for non-farm purposes at times would be no problem.

Latest posts