2013 Cattle Count

Help Support CattleToday:

Less than half of what I had around 2008-09. Plus a couple sows, goats, geese, chickens a couple of dogs and cats. The last horse died in July 2011, had him for 22 years.

Katherine

I'm down to 27 cows and heifers, plus 3 bulls, 11 fall calves, 2 steers, and 3 spring heifers. Hopefully can add on some more cows after I get payed again.

63 in with bulls, 38 with calves, 10 will start calving in a couple weeks, and 15 will be having there first calves in the fall,3 bulls, About 140 calves on feed, and for the first time in years there is not a holstein steer on the place. but there is a good little black bull twin on a bottle so i still have my record going for feeding atleast 1 bottle calf every day for the last 8 years, that number will probably change next week when i go buy about 30 babies.

larryshoat":yhlaqu24 said:
Caustic Burno":yhlaqu24 said:
Not many anymore 12 full time.
Picked up 18 or 19 SS last spring calved them out ran through the summer, split them and sold them in the fall.
Since selling down because of the drought I plan on just stocking as grass conditions permit.

How many acres does it take to run a pair where you are on average?

Larry

Two acre's will run a pair here in a normal year with no strain on the pasture.
Hay is the bigger problem in Bahia country get 4 to 5 rolls per acre, where coastal can easily double that.
That is a well maintained and fertilized fields.

hillsdown":1d3bkrpa said:
Well judging by all the feed I am going through ,are only at the end of Jan and have at least 3 &1/2 more months of feeding . I will say we have way too many ;my stock piles are disappearing fast .

BTW it was -41 here today with the wind chill . Brrrrr

That would be my sell out point. Wait, it would be way, way before it got that cold.

Was up to 20 head till this week, back down to 12 head till spring comes. If I don't see rain in the forecast it'll be 0 head for a while. About 2 acres per pair here too. If it does rain and I make plenty of hay again ill keep all my good ai hfrs and start building up again.

All I know is that when its a good season we don't have enough....but, like now, when we're looking down the barrel of no wet season, no market and extreme heat, we have waaaaaaaay too many......

12 mommas, 2 bred heifers, 2 replacement heifers, 2 baldie bull calves @ 650 lbs, and a new bull coming today to replace the old man.

Around a 100 mamas and I held back 22 heifers(mostly for replacements). It takes around 2.5-3 acres to be safe in central KY.

4 cows, 4 calves, 1 heifer and a bull. If the heifer isn't bred, she'll grow wheels and be replaced, though. Plus, 4 horses and 2 dogs.

Sold all but 50 cows and 2 bulls during the drought . I had 140 cows and 800 leased acres before the drought . I'm kinda happy just running cows on my land . Sure frees up time to fish . I bale hay at my house coastal field . I rolled 270 4x5s on 18 acres last year .

JSCATTLE":2naa5t0e said:
Sold all but 50 cows and 2 bulls during the drought . I had 140 cows and 800 leased acres before the drought . I'm kinda happy just running cows on my land . Sure frees up time to fish . I bale hay at my house coastal field . I rolled 270 4x5s on 18 acres last year .
Woooweee! That's some might fine pasture gator boy.

Isomade":1ls1bihh said:
JSCATTLE":1ls1bihh said:
Woooweee! That's some might fine pasture gator boy.
Lots of fertilizer .. And lime

Latest posts